Toothless strikers

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
But we played Baldock upfront with Sami in charge and he was crap! And didn't score

Yes he had a poor start to his Albion career and in truth the jury is still out. But beggars can't be choosers and we're really up against it now. Baldock had found some form before his injury with great finishes against Ipswich and Arsenal. At the moment, he represents our best hope of scoring a few goals. Otherwise I really can't see where the goals will come from unless CH changes his mind and decides to get another striker in...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
He was a central striker for most of his career who was pigeon holed into playing on the wing like Baldock has been due to our lack of a decent penetrating winger a la Buckley

But he can play on the wing as he showed.....this is truly an awful season

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
....at the cost of our championship place?
Championship clubs can only lose £6M under FFP this season , the rules are being relaxed to allow for greater losses but to take advantage of that we don't want to be under a transfer embargo.

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Baldock and COG are good. Best and CMS are terrible. Playing Baldock in his natural position may help...

COG has done ok holding the ball up but he can only hold the ball up for so long against 2-3 defenders as no one is going forward to help him of playing off him so he on a hiding to nothing. Playing 1 up front requires the midfield to go forward and help and our does not do that. CH has said he wont play two up front as he does not like that system. However most of the teams at the top are playing two front or at least with a good goal scoring overlapping midfielder helping out, sadly we do neither. I think if COG and Baldock got a chance to go 2 upfront or Cms chasing everything like he does with one of the other two staying in the middle things might change. I cant see we have anything to lose by trying it as its not working at all with 1 up top.

Ferring Marine

Mar 28, 2014
COG has done ok holding the ball up but he can only hold the ball up for so long against 2-3 defenders as no one is going forward to help him of playing off him so he on a hiding to nothing. Playing 1 up front requires the midfield to go forward and help and our does not do that. CH has said he wont play two up front as he does not like that system. However most of the teams at the top are playing two front or at least with a good goal scoring overlapping midfielder helping out, sadly we do neither. I think if COG and Baldock got a chance to go 2 upfront or Cms chasing everything like he does with one of the other two staying in the middle things might change. I cant see we have anything to lose by trying it as its not working at all with 1 up top.

Good shout - simples, TWO UP FRONT for Christ sake - it's not rocket science, just play to our strengths !

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
So who would you drop if say you played Cog and baldock as out and out strikers?

Not saying it's a bad idea BTW......

For me it would be something like this if all fit.

Walton
Bruno Hughes Dunk Bennett

Ince Holla Tex

Ogrady Baldock

Subs, March, Caldy, Greer, CMS, Stephens, Lua Lua, Stockdale

Greer and Stockdale need to know that they have to improve or they will not be in the team

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

Walton

Ince Holla Tex

Ogrady Baldock

Greer and Stockdale need to know that they have to improve or they will not be in the team

Not sure that is the answer. We have enough trouble with 11 players on the field. We do not want to start with 10 do we ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bent now scores in four straight games for Derby....??? i know he had an injury but it obviously wasn't serious....wtf...?

Its a lot easier to score when your playing in a team at the top of the league. When struggling like we are then the strikers will struggle. We are not creating enough and not moving the ball around quick enough in the midfield. That's where the problem lies. If we create the chances then the strikers will score. Our more creative players are getting it again so I am hoping the chances will come. And hopefully Kayal might be a good link between midfield and strikers.

I am not seeing it yet but I am hopeful it will come

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

Walton

Ince Holla Tex

Ogrady Baldock

Is that the same Gordon Greer who led the team to clean sheet away from home last night?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Championship clubs can only lose £6M under FFP this season , the rules are being relaxed to allow for greater losses but to take advantage of that we don't want to be under a transfer embargo.

That wasn't my point. Using the argument that we should wait till July to buy strikers is folly if those strikers are needed now and not bringing people in will result in 3rd division football and the drop in income from the TV , league etc etc. ....yes it is a big what if, if bloom is the gambler he is and is doing a wait and see, then we are sailing very close to the wind with relegation

The bottom line here is survival in this division, and I am sure that the majority of brighton fans who have seen us play this season have seen precious little to think we are turning the corner.

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
I think it's a bit harsh to blame the strikers in this instance. Tonight we started with 1 striker and no wingers. Meaning if Best were to score it would have to be from a set piece or through ball (which we've done about twice this season). I think even very good strikers would struggle in our system - see Bent's improvement at Derby.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Baldock and COG are good. Best and CMS are terrible. Playing Baldock in his natural position may help...

Exactly! We'll be able to do more once we have a winger in.

At the moment, because LuaLua and Solly had been out, we'd been forced to play Baldock and Calderon on the wings. With Solly and Kaz back and, hopefully, a winger in on loan we'll have cover for those positions and will be able to start playing Baldock up front.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports