Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toothless strikers

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Where is the supply?

They are not being given the chance to have a shot because they don't seem to get the ball centrally (when O'grady came on, the only place he seemed to get any time in possession was wide left.) There is no one near the striker for lay offs or to feed to when they are on over lapping runs so even if they do win it, there is little they can do with so many defenders near them, blocking the route to goal.

Several times you could see our wide player (like Calde) wanting to swing in a quick cross only to realise that there was no one or occasionally one person to aim at so decides to retain possession rather than throw in a pointless and easily defended cross.

We need to get more forward quickly, we need to be more inventive around the box and create chances for our strikers - Baldock showed he is a class finisher against Arsenal but how many opportunities like that chance have we created all season (and the last couple of seasons too for that mater)?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think Best deserves a bit more time before people write him off completely.

Hes had 1 start !

You all must be incredibly good judges of a player...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The issue last night was not supply it was taking a shot. Unbelievable how long Best wanted to be given and still didn't shoot. Very poor striker play and not helped by midfielders failing to have a shot either.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
You can only put so much of the blame on the strikers, in my humble opinion it's the flanks that are killing us, we are desperate for 2 fast wide men that go for the throat. March can go on solo runs but has no end product and often goes sideways or loses possession, Baldock is not a winger, nor is Teixeira. Kaz is the only genuine wide player that can pose an honest threat. Until we add pace on the wing we'll struggle.

clungemeister

Jan 11, 2015
Its a lot easier to score when your playing in a team at the top of the league. When struggling like we are then the strikers will struggle. We are not creating enough and not moving the ball around quick enough in the midfield. That's where the problem lies. If we create the chances then the strikers will score. Our more creative players are getting it again so I am hoping the chances will come. And hopefully Kayal might be a good link between midfield and strikers.

I am not seeing it yet but I am hopeful it will come

the statts just don't back your comment up mate...no offence like..!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Its a lot easier to score when your playing in a team at the top of the league. When struggling like we are then the strikers will struggle. We are not creating enough and not moving the ball around quick enough in the midfield. That's where the problem lies. If we create the chances then the strikers will score. Our more creative players are getting it again so I am hoping the chances will come. And hopefully Kayal might be a good link between midfield and strikers.

I am not seeing it yet but I am hopeful it will come

Last night we created chances and then didn't shoot - fear in front of goal was the problem

Northstandfan

Dec 14, 2014
Mid sussex
Not sure that is the answer. We have enough trouble with 11 players on the field. We do not want to start with 10 do we ?

Kayal was supposed to be in there, but we play like we only have 10 at the moment so we probably woudn't notice the difference

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We have no wingers and need two strikers. Playing 3-5-2 is the obvious answer

I'm with you on this. If we're going to play two up-front, this is the best system for it. I think both Bennett and, to a lesser extent, Bruno would fit in well in such a system. It also means that Halford and Hughes might get a bit more game time; it'd suit Dunk too, as he could bring the ball out of defence; I wouldn't even be averse to Ince playing there every now and then, either. Midfield three made from Kayal, Ince, Stephens, Holla, Tex, KLL and March, depending on opposition and home/away. It'd allow COG and Baldock to at least start up front together, and I really do think they'd complement one another: one with strength, hold-up play, the other with intelligent movement and good finishing; both with a good work-rate.

Problem is Hughton won't go for it. He's clear that he wants to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

Stumpy Tim

I'm with you on this. If we're going to play two up-front, this is the best system for it. I think both Bennett and, to a lesser extent, Bruno would fit in well in such a system. It also means that Halford and Hughes might get a bit more game time; it'd suit Dunk too, as he could bring the ball out of defence; I wouldn't even be averse to Ince playing there every now and then, either. Midfield three made from Kayal, Ince, Stephens, Holla, Tex, KLL and March, depending on opposition and home/away. It'd allow COG and Baldock to at least start up front together, and I really do think they'd complement one another: one with strength, hold-up play, the other with intelligent movement and good finishing; both with a good work-rate.

Problem is Hughton won't go for it. He's clear that he wants to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1.

You're right. Shame really. Hoddle would have us playing this way. Maybe my love for the 90's in all aspects of life influences me too much

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You're right. Shame really. Hoddle would have us playing this way. Maybe my love for the 90's in all aspects of life influences me too much

Was thinking the other way to play two up-front is to duplicate how West Ham have been playing for (most of) this season, with two up front and Downing playing the free role. Those front two tend to play all the way across the front line to compensate for the lack of forward width in that system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here