Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Too British for the Olympics

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I find this almost impossible to believe. What have we come to as a country when we are subjected to decisions like this from those we pay to serve us!

The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed "too British".

Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be "offensive" to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team "too militaristically British". Red Arrows pilots were said to be "outraged", as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being "too British" is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain.

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

I hope that common sense prevails. If you disagree with this decision, please sign the petition on the link http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/RedArrows2012/?ref=redArrows2012

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It just seems that the 2012 Olympics is shaping up to be a financial disaster. The budget is seriously overrunning and a whole lot of people are not at all happy with the situation for a variety of good reasons. This latest issue with The Red Arrows comes as no great shock but is so typical of the whole fiasco.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Not too bothered myself and I guess the OC is having to deal with all these enquiries from 'British' bodies who believe they have a god given right to take part in the ceremonies and imagine the OC bosses would get a bit cheesed off with it all.

but I did have a peek at the e-petition and the Govt. have responded saying that they haven't banned the Red Arrows:

The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

It is not true to suggest that the Government has banned the Red Arrows from celebrations to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Crazy. They'll be hiding the union flag next.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
The original story is complete bollocks. The red arrows haven't been banned. No decisions have been made about the opening ceremony. How could you, five years before the event!!

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
It just seems that the 2012 Olympics is shaping up to be a financial disaster. The budget is seriously overrunning and a whole lot of people are not at all happy with the situation for a variety of good reasons. This latest issue with The Red Arrows comes as no great shock but is so typical of the whole fiasco.

What are the good reasons?

As usual this is a total non-story made up by the rabid tabloid press. It's not true, it never has been true and has been denied by both the red arrows and the olympic organising comitte.

But hey, don't lets allow facts to get in the way of a good tabloid non-story/lie which gives the usual suspects the chance to attack 'political correctness'.

I just wish people would do the smallest, tiniest little, teeniest bit of research before reposting crap like this.

The Chinese are famous for their spectacular displays of formation tank driving.

But the authorities have, apparently, decided not to include this in the opening ceremony for Beijing 2008. Apparently some people get upset at the sight of killing machines. Political correctness gone mad, if you want my opinion.

Tianasquare.jpg

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
It would appear that this is a load of balls.

The govt. statement to the e-petition

"The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

It is not true to suggest that the Government has banned the Red Arrows from celebrations to mark the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best."

It would appear that this is a load of balls.

The govt. statement to the e-petition

"The e-petition asking the Prime Minister to "to Allow the Red Arrows to Fly at the 2012 Olympics" is ongoing. This is a response in advance of the closing date from the Government.

The organising committee of London 2012 will decide what to include in the celebrations - but with five years to go, decisions are yet to be made on what the celebrations will look like, although you can be assured that they will be a spectacular showcase of Britain's best."

Oh BOF, stop using facts to disprove this crap. It's so much easier for some people to believe any old shit without having to go through the tedious process of checking whether it's actually true or not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh BOF, stop using facts to disprove this crap. It's so much easier for some people to believe any old shit without having to go through the tedious process of checking whether it's actually true or not.
Nonsense. This statement was clearly ONLY brought about because of the splendid Daily hateMail campaign for the government to BACKTRACK on their disgraceful policy of BANNING the Red Arrows.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the Daily hateMail's brave and upstanding decision to back Britain on these matters, then we'd be watching a procession of Euro airforce fighters in the skies, the stadium announcers would announce the races in Polish FIRST, then English, and all the food in Olympic village would be muslim flavour.

They are to be applauded. :clap: :clap: :clap: :jester:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm disappointed. When I read the first post I thought "Good, we don't want to give the Olympics some quasi-militaristic slant, let's leave that to the totalitarian states." However I'm finding it very hard to give a toss one way or the other TBH.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dunno what all the fuss is about, pretty obvious what's happened. Someone in the DCMS has said that there are reservations about the military symbolism of the Red Arrows (which I'm sure they have, and they will be thinking hard about it); the word 'banned' has been prematurely slipped in for good measure to provoke a decent pilot reaction.

I'd say the story has got some legs, but they're more Jimmie Kranky's than Rachel Hunter's.

What are the good reasons?

We are in a war (well, actually two wars).

The olympics is an international meet, of sporting and friendly profile - and grandstanding any mere HINT of military might, is exceedingly crass. No fighter-jets, no armoured vehicles, no military uniforms, and no symbolism other than the olympic cartoon-of-choice.

To us, the Red Arrows are closer to a trapeze-act than a military one. That's not necessarily how the rest of the world see it though.

and the OLympics is not seriously over budget..............................the actual development of the facilities is about the same, the major change in publc perception, is based over the "regeneration money is now included in the figures,plus the security costs and the Govt playing it safe with asecured contingency budget.

I work with these people, and they are still working to the proposed costs of two years ago. And making difficult decisions of when do you start cutting the cloth!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here