Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Grealish RIP

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'm genuinely gutted to hear this news. He was a great player to watch and always gave 100% every game.

RIP Tony. We must have a minute's silence for the great man.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A minutes silence is by far and away the best tribute but alas, what with his WBA connections, there may well be a small minority of wolves fans that disrespect it (although I am sure the vast majority would show respect). Not too keen on clapping but, inspired by an earlier post, would it not be better to have an opera singer leading a rendition of Abide With Me, the first and last verses, as traditionally sung at the FA Cup Final.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Wow big shock .......RIP

I kinda got to know him a little back in the day, lived in Peacehaven and settled in very well to the social culture that those players enjoyed, how can such a strong bear of a man be leaving us so soon.

I hope there isnt disappointment or disagreement on how everyone should show their respects, each to their own, I suspect he would agree.

Jimmy Grimble

Sad news hope the club recognize his contribution to our past glory. RIP Tony.

Apart from a minutes applause which goes without saying could the club not find out some footage of him in action and show it on the big screens.

This is a great suggestion. There will be a lot of people from younger generations who have never seen Grealish in action. If the club do a minutes montage of him in action with a voiceover to provide context of his achievments with the Ablion it would be fantastic.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
From the BBC website BBC Sport - Former Republic of Ireland midfielder Tony Grealish dies

He signed for Brighton in 1981 and led them out at Wembley to face Manchester United in the final three years later.
It remains Brighton's only appearance in the cup final and the team, under manager Jimmy Melia, drew the first match 2-2 before Alex Ferguson's United won the replay 4-0.

I thought Ron Atkinson was manager

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
That is dreadful news. My God - I can't believe it. I did not know he was ill. Would like to think the club will recognise this at the last home game of the season.

Does rather put things into perspective.

Spot on. I very much hope the club recognises this very premature loss of a genuine Brighton great in an appropriate way.

There have been some best ever Brighton teams knocking about and Tony Grealish would have been very close to those. Very close indeed. Grealish or Bridcutt? A pointless debate of course but Tony was definitely that good.

RIP Tony.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Sad day for everyone R.I.P Tony. Too young to be leaving us. Thoughts go out.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Bloody hell - that's really shocking news.

He was a committed and honest player who made a good job of replacing Brian Horton - almost an impossible ask.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Top player and top man. Had the uneviable task of trying to replace Brian Horton when he left and he did it very well.

Will always be remembered for leading us out at Wembley but for me he was just one of those very honest hard working professional footballers. A player that would always be a first pick for his manager.

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Very sad - great memories of him in the stripes

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
RIP Tony, thanks for the memories. tony grealish066.jpg Have you taken the ball away from that nasty Brian, looks like he's running off to tell his Mum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm really not in favour of a minute of applause. Can we have a minute's silence?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here