Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Grealish RIP

Richard Tiltmans Shin Pad

Rustingtons' Mr Guiness
Jan 10, 2012
North Stand, Row Q
TG is one of the reasons I bleed blue and white now and forevermore. Rest Easy big fella

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
That is dreadful news. My God - I can't believe it. I did not know he was ill. Would like to think the club will recognise this at the last home game of the season.

Does rather put things into perspective.
Sums it up for me,I never knew he was ill either. Great leader and a gentleman...thoughts with family. RIP Tony. Sadly missed.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Desperately sad news, Tony Grealish (and of course Nobby before him) was the Albion's never give up Midfield General. Tony covered every inch of grass and never shirked a challenge, hard but fair. One of my enduring images was of course Tony leading our beloved BHAFC out at Wembley with the world watching on tv - and to our total surprise and delight, wearing the headband.

A real footballer, passionate and loyal - my sincere condolences to the family. Rest assured that Tony will never be forgotten by any Albion fan aged over 40, and there's thousands of us.

Thank you Tony, Rest In Peace.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
I`ve got a few memories of Tony Grealish, the first being that standing in the north west when he first came to the club, some bloke would shout out "Get off, Grealish!" and a few fans would laugh, but as he established himself in the side, I vividly remember this same bloke shouting it out again and being absolutely hounded down by all the supporters around him. He never said it again.

I also remember going in his parents pub before the game on the Saturday of the 83 cup final literally a few miles from Wembley, the place was a sea of blue and white flags, posters pictures and fans, it was incredible and his parents were ever so proud of him and rightly so. Anyone who was there that day will never forget that.

He also had a great sense of humour, evidenced by some clips on tv around the time of the cup final, cracking some great jokes with Fozzie.

Above all though, he was a great player, with a lovely touch of class and I can remember Jimmy Hill saying before the Cup Final started that Tony would die rather than lose that game out there today, meaning he also gave 110% every time.

A lovely bloke, a great player who was underrated by some and not many players like him in the game now. RIP Tony.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
From the first of Brighton's FA Cup ties of 1983...

grealish7.jpg

And the last...

tonygrealish2.jpg

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Sad Sad News, too young, RIP Tony

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
He features in two pieces of match commentary that are forever ingrained in my memory (if I remember them well enough) as he was part of the build up to both goals that we scored in the Cup Final.

"Grealish square to Smillie, Number Eight Howlett, chipping one in for Gordon Smith, It's there!"

and

"Case pulls it back to Grealish, a little touch for Stevens, It's there! 2-2"

I may not have the wording precisely right, but I'm pretty sure of his significant role in both goals in my most favourite match ever, so I pay my tribute to him with everyone else.

Well put, one of the best days of my life. RIP Tony. Very upset.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
RIP Tony, a great player, great man and one who'll be sorely missed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Has anyone been to the ground today? Just wondered if more flowers, tributes been placed under the legend wall.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Firm but fair. Well mainly fair.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Very sad. Rest in peace Tony