Tony Bloom - Sami is here to stay

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
most shocking quote in the interveiw is that the current squad is the most expensive in terms of salary in the clubs history......

Completely agree, that is what shocked me. Can anyone possibly argue that this squad is on a par with the one that flunked the Palace Play-Off match ? Has wage inflation gone that crazy in 18 months ? Do we have a much bigger squad, or are we simply paying over the top wages to average players who are just not performing ?

Or are they players whose ability do justify those wages, but the manager simply can't train/motivate to perform at a level consummate with their salaries ?

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
The whole Bloom interview looks problematic to me. He has obviously backed himself into a corner and at the same time undermined his football credentials by making claims about the squad and quality of football that clearly aren't true. Add to that the startling revelation that this is the most expensive Albion squad in history means he has also destroyed his and Barber's claims of financial prudence.

There is no real reason why his ability to assess footballers and managers is any greater than any other reasonably well informed fan or NSC poster (i.e. he does not come from a football background). Obviously it is great to have an owner/chairman who communicates as regularly as Bloom but in this case he would have been better advised to keep quiet in my opinion.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
To be clear: you'd stick by Hyypia even if that meant being relegated to League One?

Barry Lloyd did take us down straight back up and to the play offs for a place in the then Old Division 1.....now i am no fan of Lloyd but perhaps anything can happen given time..

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I've no doubt one of Blooms LAPDOGS is monitoring NSC and can't have failed to see the latest Hyppia poll MASSIVELY in favour of the FINN going so by coming out and saying he is here to stay no matter what is going to ROYALLY pee off 3/4's of your 'CUSTOMERS' who may then decide to walk away if there is no chance of change

I do enjoy you posts Ernest. I am never too sure how to take them though. Sometimes I see them as supremely ironic and at other times equally moronic. Keep it up please, I enjoy it anyway.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The thing that surprises me is the players wages have actually increased on last season and the season before that and that as well. Whoever decided to pay the mediocre dross we currently have these supposed wages needs to be held to account. The only other thing that could be affecting it is the Academy but not sure if this is stated in his interview

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The whole Bloom interview looks problematic to me. He has obviously backed himself into a corner and at the same time undermined his football credentials by making claims about the squad and quality of football that clearly aren't true. Add to that the startling revelation that this is the most expensive Albion squad in history means he has also destroyed his and Barber's claims of financial prudence.

There is no real reason why his ability to assess footballers and managers is any greater than any other reasonably well informed fan or NSC poster (i.e. he does not come from a football background). Obviously it is great to have an owner/chairman who communicates as regularly as Bloom but in this case he would have been better advised to keep quiet in my opinion.

He waited until we had a win & a draw before speaking....if he really rated SH he have done the interview the day before Wigan, but he didn't, so he doesn't

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
From today's Argus - Tony Bloom: Sami Hyypia is here to stay

Tony Bloom expects the Finn to be at the club "for many years to come".

"I have every faith with Sami and Nathan's coaching team and the players that we will come through and it will make us stronger."

"I'm absolutely loving being chairman of this great football club. I have absolutely no intention of selling. I think I will be here for many years to come."

As we drift aimlessly towards League One and the attendances gently fade away, I feel sure Tony will have a change of heart. It's already easy to buy refreshments pre match because the queues are no longer ten deep. I don't think Tony will put up with that for very long.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Maybe he wants The Great Escape II - keep Hyypia on 'til we are really in the mire rather than give the new man time to steer us comfortably to safety ???

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I'm afraid we'll just have to buy Bloom out.
I pledge £10.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I've no doubt one of Blooms LAPDOGS is monitoring NSC and can't have failed to see the latest Hyppia poll MASSIVELY in favour of the FINN going so by coming out and saying he is here to stay no matter what is going to ROYALLY pee off 3/4's of your 'CUSTOMERS' who may then decide to walk away if there is no chance of change

A very bold claim that annoying people here equated to 3/4 of the fanbase. Whilst I certainly agree that things at the Albion are, shall we say, less than perfect, at least he was willing to come out and talk about it. His room for wriggle is always going to be limited, given that he is the boss and feels, quite rightly, that he must be loyal to his staff - this is what we would expect from our boss. albeit in public. To be fair, he did hint that "due diligence" might have been rushed, and so he did move towards his critics. At times on NSC, it is easy to believe our own propaganda - we need to be very careful about assuming that our opinion is that of the majority - the views of those who want the "fumbling fin" out, are only ever those who choose to respond. And, of course, the relative anonymity granted here could well mean that people are rather more strident in their views, than they would be at, say, the workplace in front of many others.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
So.. I just read the second instalment. Shocking head-in-the-sand stuff from Tony B IMHO. He seems to ignore the fact that the summer transfer window was not the first poor incidence of player recruitment. The January window was also dreadful. We knew, weeks and weeks in advance, that Bridcutt and Barnes were leaving and failed then to have a rectification plan in place. Giving your 'full support' to the two areas of the club that have resulted in the mess that we are in now, without any statement of intent to improve, will not bring back the fans that are leaving en masse. Very poor. Contradictions there too. The "I believe this squad is good enough for a playoff place", followed by "I am willing to spend to support the manager in January" are not compatible. Which one is it? And finally...I wish we had a decent local interviewer that could really ask the difficult questions - hell - I wish we had an interviewer that could ask a follow up question.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports