Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom salutes Oscar's "skill, patience and dignity"

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I see your point but he didn't invest the Barnes or Bridcutt money and he must have known, like all of us that LB was probably going way before he actually did. I doubt TB said sell them and don't replace them.

I also think he would have told TB that his budget was too low if it was not good enough, after all TB has spent and invested I doubt he would knowingly give a budget that could not attract the players we needed.

Add that to the loan players he sanctioned like Lita and Obika and I think he has to accept he failed. If his scouting network was strong he could sign unknown players that were cheaper from Spain, Greece, Germany, Holland etc. Ultimately, he is tasked with providing players that are good enough with the money he was given so he failed.

OK he did not actually get to invest the Barnes/Bridcutt money - apart from Stephens of course. Plus I guess a chunk of it has also gone towards the ongoing loan deals for Lingard etc in the absence of a permanent replacements. But we did try to sign other players (Grabban etc) and deals fell though. Plus I'm sure that Lita and Obika were not our first choice loanees either. I agree that he could have brought in players from abroad which is surprising - but I wonder if Oscar vetoed them?

Another question is whether Oscar has recommended players he knows from Spain - something we all expected to happen, but curiously has not, and I wonder why?

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
OK he did not actually get to invest the Barnes/Bridcutt money - apart from Stephens of course. Plus I guess a chunk of it has also gone towards the ongoing loan deals for Lingard etc in the absence of a permanent replacements. But we did try to sign other players (Grabban etc) and deals fell though. Plus I'm sure that Lita and Obika were not our first choice loanees either. I agree that he could have brought in players from abroad which is surprising - but I wonder if Oscar vetoed them?

Another question is whether Oscar has recommended players he knows from Spain - something we all expected to happen, but curiously has not, and I wonder why?

Exactly! Oscar may also have known about players in Israel that may have been good enough.

I just think that the Grabban deal, Lita and Obika etc. are all still Burke's fault.

If I am employed by someone and I have a remit of the job I'm supposed to do and if after one year I have an appraisal my bosses would tell me if I had hit my targets or not.

Whatever the reasons for missing out on Grabban etc are still him failing in his role. Liverpool sacked Comolli for paying too much for Andy Carroll, ie not getting value for money. You could argue that Burke has not got us value for money based on what he had to provide.

Assuming BHA received £3m in total for Bridcutt and Barnes then spending this on players on (for example) 3 year contracts will add a £1m loss in each of the next 3 years to the P&L in amortisation (depreciation). With the football club arm of the BHA "business" having recently posted an annual loss of around £15m for 2012/13, a chairman who has always maintained that the football club should be self-financing and FFP requirements restricting the annual loss to £8m max in 2013/14 (and less thereafter), is it at all surprising that the club didn't spend the £3m?

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
How pi**ed would you be if we missed the play offs by 1 point.

I would think that OG has done an incredible job given the what he was left with. Even if he had finished mid table.
The day I heard that Oscar had left Macabi I knew he was the man to do a job for us. I am still keeping the faith (and the £100 I won on him from Bet Victor) :cheers:

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Also a "subtle" little dig at our previous manager I think, listing a couple of qualities that Gus is definitely lacking.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Why do people keep on about spending the Barnes and Bridcutt money in the summer? It will be a new financial year so that money is gone. And FFP means a further £3million cut is required. You aren't allowed to carry over a surplus and then spend it next season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why do people keep on about spending the Barnes and Bridcutt money in the summer? It will be a new financial year so that money is gone. And FFP means a further £3million cut is required. You aren't allowed to carry over a surplus and then spend it next season.

Are you sure? This does not seem right to me.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

FFP is not just about cutting costs it's growing revenue as well. So in addition to the Barnes and Bridcutt money (which does not disappear as suggested) we also have the matter of a training ground sponsor and new kit supplier income to add. There was money available in January and I fully expect Oscar to have what is needed in the summer.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Assuming BHA received £3m in total for Bridcutt and Barnes then spending this on players on (for example) 3 year contracts will add a £1m loss in each of the next 3 years to the P&L in amortisation (depreciation). With the football club arm of the BHA "business" having recently posted an annual loss of around £15m for 2012/13, a chairman who has always maintained that the football club should be self-financing and FFP requirements restricting the annual loss to £8m max in 2013/14 (and less thereafter), is it at all surprising that the club didn't spend the £3m?

Absolutely. Unfortunately there are many punters out there who still think we should be spending big, whatever the consequences. They still don't understand that the owner/chairman is committed to FFP and moving the Club towards sustainability. Hence it is harsh to give Barber, Burke and Oscar too much stick as they are only working within the operating framework set for them by Tony.

Punters also overlook that generally the Albion does much of its transfer negotiations dealings below the radar (quite right) and normally we only get to hear about those at an advanced stage. Even then we have been gazumped or manipulated and lost out or chosen not to proceed. I suspect that we are refusing to compete on transfer fees and wages against those Clubs happy to spend a bit more. Hence our increased dependence on loanees and youngsters, certainly more than we are used to or might if we had a strong and fully fit squad.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Are you sure? This does not seem right to me.

Disappear may have been the wrong word but any money spent next season goes towards next seasons losses. The fact in came from sales this year is irrelevant to FFP. The money from this seasons sales goes to reducing this seasons losses if we don't spend it.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
I said exactly the same at the time. OG was definitely not over the moon.

I think TB saying 'dignity' as meaning that OG did not spout off about the January window a la Gus' ceiling comment.

I believe (hope) that TB is therefore backing OG and would not be surprised if Burke is shown the door in the summer, a revamp behind the scenes and OG is given a 'Manager's' title with more say on recruitment.

Just because this is the way in Europe and is the same set up as OG had at Maccabi, it doesn't mean we have to do it here. At the very least I hope Burke is replaced with someone else if we stick with the set up. I obvioulsly lay the blame for our transfer dealings failure firmly at the feet of Burke!

My opinion, doesn't mean I'm right but I believe in what I'm saying!!

Going to stick my neck out with this one.

Oscar is very good friends with Jordi Cruyff, Jordi was also working with Oscar before regarding transfers. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke were to go, Jordi would come in on that role. I know Jordi, as I teach his children. When I spoke with him before oscar arrived he seemed to know our squad very well.

I'm not saying this could be a good thing or not.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

Oscar is very good friends with Jordi Cruyff, Jordi was also working with Oscar before regarding transfers. I wouldn't be surprised if Burke were to go, Jordi would come in on that role. I know Jordi, as I teach his children. When I spoke with him before oscar arrived he seemed to know our squad very well.

Is he from Newcastle?

Disappear may have been the wrong word but any money spent next season goes towards next seasons losses. The fact in came from sales this year is irrelevant to FFP. The money from this seasons sales goes to reducing this seasons losses if we don't spend it.

Exactly so but with the caveat that money spent next season on player transfers goes towards next, and subsequent season's losses; the cost being spread equally over the term of the player's contract.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I salute him for where we are, but I'm not sure at the way we play, its not entertaining at times and the paucity of goals and the manner of some of our defeats has led me to question the team set up, his judgement with players and the general spirit of getting a result. Losing to Barnsley at home and drawing with Blackpool in a must win game were low points and cannot be ignored, only 10 home wins this year needs to be redressed. Where we are says more about others as well as ourselves.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

A Cruyff at The Albion? - interesting thought!

Jordi should have very good knowledge of players in Spain and some excellent contacts, so could be an asset - but then we also thought Oscar might bring a couple of gems with him.
I think we all quietly hoped that Barca would become our feeder club, but we haven't exactly seen a stampede of players through the arrivals hall at Gatwick.

IMHO Cruyff would face the same problem as Burke i.e. yes, we do have a transfer budget - but not what he is used to or would hope for. Plus is working in the English Championship really on his wish list?

On balance it is great that Jordi is friends with Oscar so perhaps we might just get the benefit of some informal tips. Meanwhile I still think we should cut Burke some slack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here