Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom salutes Oscar's "skill, patience and dignity"

Feb 14, 2010
Its not Bloom.s fault or OG's fault that the players have bottled the last 6 weeks or so. Nothing changes at Brighton tho, we never have a side that over achieves, its always the reverse, well ever since Charlie Webb1910 heroes that is. Even the cup final side got themselves relegated!

Feb 14, 2010
You obviously missed out on the Withdean era then. Underdogs every season, yet the most successful period in the history of the club with 4 trophies in 12 years...

No i didnt miss that. We were selling out Withdean and getting double the gates of most in that division. But yes that was a time when we achieved roughly what we should have done. Not like the third div days of 30000 crowds at the goldstone and the same again now at the Amex. Brighton always under achieve and nobody is really that bothered. The biggest club with the lowest expectations from bottom to top. There are some on here who think its fine to cap capacity at 30000 whe they get that for Barnsley in the championship, never mind Arsenal in the top flight. Hopefully Bloom might change that losers mentality and we might look to achieve someting again at this club. 1910 is too long ago for a club this size to have had a trophy and 1983 so long ago for top flight football.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Interesting statement. I do wonder if Oscar is planning on leaving..

I wonder what'll come of the Barnes/Bridcutt money? If it does go back into the squad I wonder who Burke has lined up.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Personally,i'd give Oscar a bit of a (FFP permitting) summer budget,and allow him grace till 1st November,if we are not where we need to be,get rid of the coach and the concept of coach,go back to basics.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Good result last night but you could see a little bit of something (can't out my finger on it) when they interviewed OG at the end.

'We have done well seeing as we were the only team in the division to have weakened in January' or words to that effect

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Good result last night but you could see a little bit of something (can't out my finger on it) when they interviewed OG at the end.

'We have done well seeing as we were the only team in the division to have weakened in January' or words to that effect

Yep, came out loud and clear to me. He was not happy with the end results of the January window. Let's see who comes in in the summer (I'm assuming we stay in the championship), and see where we are in December. I'll reserve judgement till then.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yep, came out loud and clear to me. He was not happy with the end results of the January window. Let's see who comes in in the summer (I'm assuming we stay in the championship), and see where we are in December. I'll reserve judgement till then.

That's how I read into Oscar's post match comments too - I'm not convinced that Oscar was happy with our dealings (or lack of) in the transfer window. He quite didn't say that 'we've hit a ceiling' but certainly implied that he wants a much stronger squad. To be fair we got knocked back in the Grabban deal - a bit like last year when we supposedly went after VVD, which suggests that Tony was willing to unleash his cheque book, but both fell though, partly because unlike our rivals Tony is not willing to bust the budget ceiling.

We did get Stephens who is making goodish progress and I hope he will form part of a Crofts / Ince / Stephens trio, plus a playmaker sitting just in front of them.

It will be very interesting to see what happens over the summer.

I also think Tony Blooms comments about Oscar suggest he recognises the squad needs strengthening but I suspect we may have to move several players on to help the budget.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013

I said exactly the same at the time. OG was definitely not over the moon.

I think TB saying 'dignity' as meaning that OG did not spout off about the January window a la Gus' ceiling comment.

I believe (hope) that TB is therefore backing OG and would not be surprised if Burke is shown the door in the summer, a revamp behind the scenes and OG is given a 'Manager's' title with more say on recruitment.

Just because this is the way in Europe and is the same set up as OG had at Maccabi, it doesn't mean we have to do it here. At the very least I hope Burke is replaced with someone else if we stick with the set up. I obvioulsly lay the blame for our transfer dealings failure firmly at the feet of Burke!

My opinion, doesn't mean I'm right but I believe in what I'm saying!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I said exactly the same at the time. OG was definitely not over the moon.

I think TB saying 'dignity' as meaning that OG did not spout off about the January window a la Gus' ceiling comment.

I believe (hope) that TB is therefore backing OG and would not be surprised if Burke is shown the door in the summer, a revamp behind the scenes and OG is given a 'Manager's' title with more say on recruitment.

Just because this is the way in Europe and is the same set up as OG had at Maccabi, it doesn't mean we have to do it here. At the very least I hope Burke is replaced with someone else if we stick with the set up. I obvioulsly lay the blame for our transfer dealings failure firmly at the feet of Burke!

My opinion, doesn't mean I'm right but I believe in what I'm saying!!

I can see why Burke's name is mentioned but ultimately he can only recommend players to sign, he does not control the cheque book. If Tony Bloom has set a ceiling on what he is prepared to spend or the player / agent is merely using us to flush out higher bids from other Clubs then it would be a bit harsh on Burke. For all we know he is offering up players all the time but the deals just don't come to fruition.

The squad has also been weakened by long term injuries to key players like Crofts, CMS, Hoskins, Orlandi etc - which again aren't exactly Burke's fault.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
"If" we don't go up next season is crucial and the one where maybe we need to go for broke to get out of the division. Almost half the teams in the league could be on parachute payments in another two years which puts our ffp position in real danger of being marooned as an also ran for many years.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I can see why Burke's name is mentioned but ultimately he can only recommend players to sign, he does not control the cheque book. If Tony Bloom has set a ceiling on what he is prepared to spend or the player / agent is merely using us to flush out higher bids from other Clubs then it would be a bit harsh on Burke. For all we know he is offering up players all the time but the deals just don't come to fruition.

The squad has also been weakened by long term injuries to key players like Crofts, CMS, Hoskins, Orlandi etc - which again aren't exactly Burke's fault.

I see your point but he didn't invest the Barnes or Bridcutt money and he must have known, like all of us that LB was probably going way before he actually did. I doubt TB said sell them and don't replace them.

I also think he would have told TB that his budget was too low if it was not good enough, after all TB has spent and invested I doubt he would knowingly give a budget that could not attract the players we needed.

Add that to the loan players he sanctioned like Lita and Obika and I think he has to accept he failed. If his scouting network was strong he could sign unknown players that were cheaper from Spain, Greece, Germany, Holland etc. Ultimately, he is tasked with providing players that are good enough with the money he was given so he failed.

I see your point but he didn't invest the Barnes or Bridcutt money and he must have known, like all of us that LB was probably going way before he actually did. I doubt TB said sell them and don't replace them.

I also think he would have told TB that his budget was too low if it was not good enough, after all TB has spent and invested I doubt he would knowingly give a budget that could not attract the players we needed.

Add that to the loan players he sanctioned like Lita and Obika and I think he has to accept he failed. If his scouting network was strong he could sign unknown players that were cheaper from Spain, Greece, Germany, Holland etc. Ultimately, he is tasked with providing players that are good enough with the money he was given so he failed.

Are you Steve Claridge by any chance?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here