Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom looks a broken man

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Well he's got loads of money. He's spent loads of money on the stadium and the training ground. He might as well spend more on the team next year.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
But what is different about previous parachute payments is that previously they went to pay the enormous wages of players that were bought to try and stay in the prem - the latest batch or relegated clubs are a bit better placed to have that covered and the massive sums they get now make relegation softer to bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Newcattle will be easy favourites to bounce straight back. Norwich will be right up there too. What we can surely all agree on is that Villa will be nowhere near the promo spots. In fact, they will probably be in a rele-scrap next season. By all accounts things are really, really bad at Villa behind the scenes and they are in total meltdown.

I disagree about Norwich. They will have a clear out but I don't think the have the recruitment in place to replace who they let go

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Really? You are kidding me. On what? The ground was £90 million. The training centre will be a bit more, but not £140 million. Are you sure of those figures? £250 million is a lot of money and no one, but no one, puts that sort of money into anything just for the love of it. And Bloom is a shrewd man.

He has underwritten trading losses of about £100 million.

The ground was initially £90 million when capacity was 21,000, spent another £20 mill upgrading it to 30,750.

As for the £180 million payback you quote, that includes two years of parachute payments and ignores that if promoted the wage bill would rise from £22 million to at least £70 million a year.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Really? You are kidding me. On what? The ground was £90 million. The training centre will be a bit more, but not £140 million. Are you sure of those figures? £250 million is a lot of money and no one, but no one, puts that sort of money into anything just for the love of it. And Bloom is a shrewd man.

A friendly word of advice: there's an acknowledged expert on football finance in your exchange.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011

The ground was initially £90 million when capacity was 21,000, spent another £20 mill upgrading it to 30,750.

As for the £180 million payback you quote, that includes two years of parachute payments and ignores that if promoted the wage bill would rise from £22 million to at least £70 million a year.

Wow. Ok. Astonishing numbers.

But there is no reason the wage bill needs to go to £70m. Bournemouth are nowhere near that. Or at least, they weren't this season, maybe they will be in a position to pay more now they have consolidated.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset

There was £147m on directors loan account in 2015 accounts and £76m share capital, total £223m ( virtually all TB we can safely assume). Add in £200k pw at least for 15/16 (it is probably more) and looking well north of £200m to date.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
A friendly word of advice: there's an acknowledged expert on football finance in your exchange.

Football finance is really just old fashioned business finance ;) There is nothing magical about football finance. It is just income versus expenditure same as any old business. But I am genuinely amazed if he really has sunk net £250 million into the club. That is insane.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

According the club's group accounts to June 15, £146m spent on property (stadium and training facility) with another £11m on equipment.

Financed by his £147m loan to the club, and a further £76m in share capital (largely from TB).

An immensely generous Albion supporter.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
There was £147m on directors loan account in 2015 accounts and £76m share capital, total £223m ( virtually all TB we can safely assume). Add in £200k pw at least for 15/16 (it is probably more) and looking well north of £200m to date.

Wow. Ok, I bow to your knowledge...crazy numbers. No wonder he looked downcast on the tele.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Leicester proved team spirit can overcome money especially if rich competitors(City/Chelsea) have none.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Indeed, although according to [MENTION=1813]norm[/MENTION]an Baker Suck My Lozenge he should step aside for a foreigner with no connection to the club.

That's worked really well for Villa, Leeds, Forest, Blackburn, Birmingham et al.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
According the club's group accounts to June 15, £146m spent on property (stadium and training facility) with another £11m on equipment.

Financed by his £147m loan to the club, and a further £76m in share capital (largely from TB).

Generous of heart, certainly but he still ends up owning a terrificlly attractive asset. A club with prem-ready facilities. I wouldn't be surprised if some Chinaman or Arab has contacted him on the off chance. The setup now is very good so it is not as if the money is wasted, far from it. Rich people need to convert cash into real assets. That is what Leibherr did at Saints. He had £50m earning him squat all so why not turn it into a football stadium.

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
I fear the time will come if we're not promoted then Mr Bloom will say enough is enough. Surely it's unstanible to keep pumping millions in every year. Loyal fan he maybe but everyone has his/her limit on funds.

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
Indeed, although according to [MENTION=1813]norm[/MENTION]an Baker Suck My Lozenge he should step aside for a foreigner with no connection to the club.

That's worked really well for Villa, Leeds, Forest, Blackburn, Birmingham et al.

But has worked very well for Leicester and Wednesday.... not all foreign owners are idiots

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Manchester United, beat you in the FA cup final, I would not be so sad as to go on your message board and gloat...

Do you know why, because I'm not a ****

Normally I can't stand Manure, but it will Be sweet to see the likes on Jedinak, Gayle and Pardew crying this Saturday, as the chavs walk away potless once again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here