Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom is totally deluded!

Feb 14, 2010
Like everybody else, I'm pleased and extremely grateful that TB has invested so heavily in the club. But even £200 million does not buy infallibility; nobody is beyond criticism - even if some people do seem to think we should all worship him without question.

I am willing to listen to any criticism or something you think should change as long as it does not spend any more of Tony Bloom's money for him. So what exactly is it that he has got wrong? Not spending more of his own money on players? Well if so then that's up to him, not me, you or anyone else. If you want to buy Messi, then great, get your cheque book out if not then stop moaning or state with some kind of logic, what it is that he has got wrong. I have said I think managers need to have the final say on players, but understand the director of football role as a compliance issue. So I am not totally in agreement with everything but I have said what I would look to change. What is it that you would change, that doesnt spend more of someone else's money?

Last edited:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
LIke everybody else, I'm pleased and extremely grateful that TB has invested so heavily in the club. But even £200 million does not buy infallibility; nobody is beyond criticism - even if some people do seem to think we should all worship him without question.

As an example you only have to see how Palace fans slate Goldberg and Jordan, who financially crippled themselves to back up your argument.
Fans have short memories I am afraid.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Like everybody else, I'm pleased and extremely grateful that TB has invested so heavily in the club. But even £200 million does not buy infallibility; nobody is beyond criticism - even if some people do seem to think we should all worship him without question.
If I'd put all that money into a club only to be told I was deluded, I'd say 'fair enough, I'll take my money back. Over to you.'

Feb 14, 2010
If I'd put all that money into a club only to be told I was deluded, I'd say 'fair enough, I'll take my money back. Over to you.'

Exactly, some people moan about 1. Albion disclose attendances in the same way that every other club does (find the logic in that one if you can?) 2. The Chairman (who has spent £200 Million, plus services losses of £10 Million a year (the logic is?) 3. Say the Amex is quiet (but its just not compared to other Championship clubs and whats more they will have 30,000 for a relegation scraop against Fulham but somehow its the fans fault. Logic? There is none).

Feb 14, 2010
I am willing to listen to any criticism or something you think should change as long as it does not spend any more of Tony Bloom's money for him. So what exactly is it that he has got wrong? Not spending more of his own money on players? Well if so then that's up to him, not me, you or anyone else. If you want to buy Messi, then great, get your cheque book out if not then stop moaning or state with some kind of logic, what it is that he has got wrong. I have said I think managers need to have the final say on players, but understand the director of football role as a compliance issue. So I am not totally in agreement with everything but I have said what I would look to change. What is it that you would change, that doesnt spend more of someone else's money?

Still waiting for what the moans really are and what you would do without spending more of someone else's money?

Feb 14, 2010

To be clear this was not my post. Its a logic that is flawed as nobody can yet say what he has got wrong without spending more of his own money on players.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
if TB is doing this and happy with it, then I would question his judgement as a businessman. I have no doubt in anything that he has done and for the best reasons. It is however, undeniable that the squad, manager and current position are not as good as we have had over the past three years at the Amex. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Not sure if id call TB's business sense into question seeing as he made enough money to build our stadium and training ground without breaking the bank, have you made over 90 million at work?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Not sure if id call TB's business sense into question seeing as he made enough money to build our stadium and training ground without breaking the bank, have you made over 90 million at work?

Never made £90m but I can add and subtract, made £90m spent £220m leaves a rather large deficit. Do you think that the money he has spend is reflected on the field of play and the tumbling attendance at the Amex? Had I spent that much, nearly a quarter of a billion pounds I would want more than i'm getting. I will call his judgement into question because the start to our season has been a shambles and he oversees the whole organisation whether he is hands on or not.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Never made £90m but I can add and subtract, made £90m spent £220m leaves a rather large deficit. Do you think that the money he has spend is reflected on the field of play and the tumbling attendance at the Amex? Had I spent that much, nearly a quarter of a billion pounds I would want more than i'm getting. I will call his judgement into question because the start to our season has been a shambles and he oversees the whole organisation whether he is hands on or not.

Im sure he has a plan and wants to succeed as sure as I am he is a goid business man. He has spent on the team (maybe not wise buys) and as ive said before think he wants sammi to stay so we are stable on the field after recent changes, we will NOT be relegated things will look better by christmas, crowds may fall but due to the huge amounts of season tickets the club have sold (with help of the no interest monthly payments) the tickets sold will stay the same even if people arent in the stadium, not bad business eh

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Im sure he has a plan and wants to succeed as sure as I am he is a goid business man. He has spent on the team (maybe not wise buys) and as ive said before think he wants sammi to stay so we are stable on the field after recent changes, we will NOT be relegated things will look better by christmas, crowds may fall but due to the huge amounts of season tickets the club have sold (with help of the no interest monthly payments) the tickets sold will stay the same even if people arent in the stadium, not bad business eh

Not bad business, having people paying for seats they don't use, can't see that being durable. Those season ticket holders will of course be replaced by thousands of others waiting in the wings to purchase these seats at the end of the season? I do support TB, but feel that as a long standing loyal supporter I have the right to pass an opinion in response to the post. If I were in his shoes I seriously would not be pleased with what is happening on the pitch at the moment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be clear this was not my post. Its a logic that is flawed as nobody can yet say what he has got wrong without spending more of his own money on players.
Certainly not your post - far too reasonable! The only flawed logic here is the notion that spending £200 million makes you infallible. TB is human; no human is infallible. As a good business man, I'm sure he listens to advice (albeit not from me, and certainly not from you) and he obviously gets it right more often than not.

But the notion that there can be no discussion about what has gone wrong this season unless we are prepared to stump up £200 million ourselves is, to put it politely, bo11ocks.

Besides which, TB himself seems to have recognised that the summer transfer business was not good (thus justifying those who criticised it at the time and since) and is now making very welcome moves (Bennett and Bent) to try and remedy the situation. Perhaps the self appointed sanctimonious thought-police that ranted against discussion and all those who didn't share their views can now do one.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Still waiting for what the moans really are and what you would do without spending more of someone else's money?

You really need to stop banging on about this. Its not really very constructive. You seem to be saying that nobody can offer an opinion unless they've put up £200 million of their own money. Might as well fold NSC now then eh? :shrug:

Tony Bloom's achilles heel in all of this, IMHO, is that he's he's a fan as well as a businessman. As such, he's as prone, on occasion, to the same daftness of judgement as the rest of us.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
You really need to stop banging on about this. Its not really very constructive. You seem to be saying that nobody can offer an opinion unless they've put up £200 million of their own money. Might as well fold NSC now then eh? :shrug:

Tony Bloom's achilles heel in all of this, IMHO, is that he's he's a fan as well as a businessman. As such, he's as prone, on occasion, to the same daftness of judgement as the rest of us.
So money is not a solution and it would be better if TB was not a fan? Is that right?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So money is not a solution and it would be better if TB was not a fan? Is that right?

Nope, completely the opposite. I'm infinitely GLAD TB is a fan and is prone to the same human lapses in judgement that we would be in the same position. If he was purely a non-fan businessman he'd have surely sold us on to a head-mental "fit and proper person" from the other side of the world by now. TB is a GOD to me :bowdown:

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Nope, completely the opposite. I'm infinitely GLAD TB is a fan and is prone to the same human lapses in judgement that we would be in the same position. If he was purely a non-fan businessman he'd have surely sold us on to a head-mental "fit and proper person" from the other side of the world by now. TB is a GOD to me :bowdown:
Being a fan he is more likely to put the interest of the club before his own financial gain. I don't think anyone said he is GOD and surely he can't be GOD and a fallible man.

Feb 14, 2010

Im not saying that at all. But I assume you agree that you have no right to spend Tony Bloom's money for him. So, without spending more of his money, then what would you do differently? Spent less on the Amex? Not buy the training ground? Not have a director of football? What is it that you are moaning about?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here