Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's Support.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why no one joined in with my you burnt your own town song is beyond me!

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
My favourite chant was "you're nothing special we lose every week" to which Spurs fans responded "so do we so do we" :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I liked the Spuds response to our Aaron Townsend "You're just a shit Theo Walcott' - "You're just a shit Crystal Palace " ;)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I agree. A few of ours tried to get a few homophobic chants going but no-one was interested i am happy to say.
Ironic really as we have a massive LGBT flag up in the corner of the West & North stands.

Yeah I saw that. Good to see. We need welcome visual symbols that remind people of the need for respect.

I didn't hear any Hsssing at all. Agree with comments that the support was good, but nothing like what many teams can muster in terms of vocal support. Some European teams are just brilliant and I wish we could shake ourselves out of our south coast lethargy and match that. Unfortunately, a lot of this gets lost as we make football more a family oriented experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the trade off.

At the end of the day, we're Brighton. We've had some great vocal support days - but few at home. Looking back, the last time the whole stadium really got animated for the whole game was against Burnley when we ended up with 9 v 11, and even then it was a backs to the wall atmosphere. I'll probably be reminded of a load of other home games now, but my point is that on the south coast we don't have that much to be angry about and we've lost a that part of civic tribal pride (not necessarily a bad thing as we live in a very tolerant and welcoming city) that results in a football ground being a cauldron to go to. I'm sure there's many other reasons too.

It affects all clubs. Look at Liverpool. There's a city that has huge problems; a tribe with massive tribal pride, but the price of football now and the way it is now accessible only to the middle classes means that Anfield has become a library. Where once the kop used to be awesome not just because of the song sung at the beginning, but because of the sheer weight of sound that came off it, now you hear nothing. And it spreads. Two year's ago I was at the League Cup Final and the same feeling of lost unity was on the terraces there.

Excuse the ramble. I'm sure I could express this better if I had the time.

N17

Jun 21, 2011
Yeah I saw that. Good to see. We need welcome visual symbols that remind people of the need for respect.

I didn't hear any Hsssing at all. Agree with comments that the support was good, but nothing like what many teams can muster in terms of vocal support. Some European teams are just brilliant and I wish we could shake ourselves out of our south coast lethargy and match that. Unfortunately, a lot of this gets lost as we make football more a family oriented experience. There's nothing wrong with that, but that's the trade off.

At the end of the day, we're Brighton. We've had some great vocal support days - but few at home. Looking back, the last time the whole stadium really got animated for the whole game was against Burnley when we ended up with 9 v 11, and even then it was a backs to the wall atmosphere. I'll probably be reminded of a load of other home games now, but my point is that on the south coast we don't have that much to be angry about and we've lost a that part of civic tribal pride (not necessarily a bad thing as we live in a very tolerant and welcoming city) that results in a football ground being a cauldron to go to. I'm sure there's many other reasons too.

It affects all clubs. Look at Liverpool. There's a city that has huge problems; a tribe with massive tribal pride, but the price of football now and the way it is now accessible only to the middle classes means that Anfield has become a library. Where once the kop used to be awesome not just because of the song sung at the beginning, but because of the sheer weight of sound that came off it, now you hear nothing. And it spreads. Two year's ago I was at the League Cup Final and the same feeling of lost unity was on the terraces there.

Excuse the ramble. I'm sure I could express this better if I had the time.

Excellent post!
It is the same for us. Some of our fans think THFC is above the Europa & League cups. Years ago WHL would have been rocking for last night's game, now it is a case (for many) of 'its only Brighton. We always used to sell-out our European games but last week we had just 21.4k for Asteras.
As you say, it is the price we pay for making 'footy' a family friendly experience. We can all see the benefits (dont have to worry about getting your head kicked in at every game) but to the detriment of atmosphere.
You mention Liverpool but it is the same at pretty much every Prem team now - the away support always outsings the home fans.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Excellent post!
It is the same for us. Some of our fans think THFC is above the Europa & League cups. Years ago WHL would have been rocking for last night's game, now it is a case (for many) of 'its only Brighton. We always used to sell-out our European games but last week we had just 21.4k for Asteras.
As you say, it is the price we pay for making 'footy' a family friendly experience. We can all see the benefits (dont have to worry about getting your head kicked in at every game) but to the detriment of atmosphere.

Agree about away fans being motivated to sing more but interesting that the Brighton end was full of families last night taking advantage of half term, the pricing and a safer experience to that of 20 years ago. And singing their hearts out. Not sure it affected the atmosphere at all.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I've had far better days away. The team gave us nothing worth getting up for, I found it all a little flat.
Best part by far was when everyone noticed Leo. Apart from that & one or 2 Albion chants, I just found it all a bit "meh".
The team & support need to be in synch' & at the moment we're not seeing much to get us out of our seats.
Some chants are just too tinpot; "You're support is fu^*-g sh**", that really is dire.
As for the planks who insisted on the "2 men went to burn down Palace" went on & on; I thought it was great that people were telling them to shut up.

I'd say it was a great following for such a poor team, when probably not one of us expected to get anything out of the game. Average atmosphere though, although I was impressed with Spurs turnout too.

Bournemouth will be far more edgy & stressful, so if the team turn up then it will probably make for a decent atmosphere. I won't be holding my breath though.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As I mentioned on another thread, a chief steward mentioned we were far louder than QPR, which to me, should be pretty loud considering it's a London derby.

There are certain people that never sing, which is fine, so with 4,000 there, maybe 2,000 constantly sing, 1,000 join in every now and then and another 1,000 never sing (obviously this is all guess work!). But imagine what the noise would be like, even for just a few songs, 90-100% of the crowd joined in!

I also remember Spuds fans before the game mentioning that their fans are not interested in Brighton and this will not be a sell out, didn't turn out that way as I didn't see that many seats empty. Just checked and just over 2,500 short of full capacity, "your'e only hear for the Brighton"! :D

N17

Jun 21, 2011
As I mentioned on another thread, a chief steward mentioned we were far louder than QPR, which to me, should be pretty loud considering it's a London derby.

There are certain people that never sing, which is fine, so with 4,000 there, maybe 2,000 constantly sing, 1,000 join in every now and then and another 1,000 never sing (obviously this is all guess work!). But imagine what the noise would be like, even for just a few songs, 90-100% of the crowd joined in!

I also remember Spuds fans before the game mentioning that their fans are not interested in Brighton and this will not be a sell out, didn't turn out that way as I didn't see that many seats empty. Just checked and just over 2,500 short of full capacity, "your'e only hear for the Brighton"! :D

I posted on here that i thought the crowd would be around 30k - so i was pretty close. £50 family tickets helped!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Atmosphere has been poor this year at Whl so it was never going to be great for a game like this. However lets be fair, the Amex this year has been as bad, if not worse.

I reckon The Amex is better this year than last year, but that aside it is still very, very poor.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Bloody Hell...look at me, I'm a superfan! I've been to Scarborough and Carlisle away, and the support was electric! 'Too many once in a blue moon awaytrippers' - arrogant and pompous.

It was loud and impressive last night. At no point did the team give us anything to shout about, but we kept going anyway.

And if some didn't join in, or even, Heaven forbid, not look like they wanted to sing (!), well, that's their prerogative. Too many people think that there is a set of rules that have to be followed, otherwise you are a Bad Fan.

Hit a nerve,it wasn't special ,like I said too many london daytrippers, but you carry on in your fantasy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here