Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tonights England game at the Amex

Are you watching tonight’s England game at the Amex?

• Oh yeah!

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Nope

Votes: 56 42.7%

• Total voters

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Not 100% sure, but the 313s are going by the end of the year as I understand. They are on their last legs. Might go some way to explaining the terrible east and west coastway timetables we are currently enduring. Not sure what they'll be replaced with.

They’ll be around for a bit, there’s some 3 car 377s sitting around that could be used, they were also out last night forming 7 car Seaford services

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There were quite a lot of first timers at the Amex last night, as you'd expect. They were the ones cheerily taking their pints of beer to their seats and sipping away, only to be rudely awakened by a steward shouting in their ear and demanding that they go back out to the concourses.

I was initially put off by the high pitched shrieking and netball-style chanting (and the clackers) resulting from an audience containing thousands of children. But by the end, the atmosphere was brilliant. It was quite amazing watching them all bouncing around and dancing away to Dua Lipa in the North Stand at the final whistle. And no, I'm not joking. Great stuff.

The Mexican wave can do one, of course.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There were quite a lot of first timers at the Amex last night, as you'd expect. They were the ones cheerily taking their pints of beer to their seats and sipping away, only to be rudely awakened by a steward shouting in their ear and demanding that they go back out to the concourses.

I was initially put off by the high pitched shrieking and netball-style chanting (and the clackers) resulting from an audience containing thousands of children. But by the end, the atmosphere was brilliant. It was quite amazing watching them all bouncing around and dancing away to Dua Lipa in the North Stand at the final whistle. And no, I'm not joking. Great stuff.

The Mexican wave can do one, of course.

The more I see of the womens' game, the more I like it. I like the respect / sporting attitude the players show toward each other and the officials (although England's penalty last night had horrible echoes of the worst of Harry Kane / Mo Salah), I like the amount of time the ball is in play and I like the desire to get forward rather than stroke it about across the 18 yard box until the opposition lapse into a coma.

I also think the players are great sporting role models and I'm definitely going to be taking my kids along once the domestic season starts again.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The more I see of the womens' game, the more I like it. I like the respect / sporting attitude the players show toward each other and the officials (although England's penalty last night had horrible echoes of the worst of Harry Kane / Mo Salah), I like the amount of time the ball is in play and I like the desire to get forward rather than stroke it about across the 18 yard box until the opposition lapse into a coma.

I also think the players are great sporting role models and I'm definitely going to be taking my kids along once the domestic season starts again.

To be honest, I wasn't particularly excited about going- I do find the women's game very different, and often missing the pace & physicality of the men's game. There are also fewer players with the x-factor, you might say- not many female players who produce that moment of magic. And regrettably, the goalkeepers still tend to be the weak link- I mean, there's no shame in not being able to save shots bound for the top corner when you're 5'9" as opposed to most male keepers who are 6'3"+ these days. But it still makes me wince when some of the soft goals go in.

After England got the penalty though, they were genuinely excellent last night. Yes, Norway defended terribly, but no more so than San Marino did against Harry Kane & co in the World Cup qualifiers and I don't see anybody saying the men's game is a joke as a result. The atmosphere became really good- again, different, but good. It was certainly no worse for the absence of pissed up young blokes singing "Your support is ****ing shit" or "we pay your benefits", that's for sure. I wish I had tickets for the quarter final now, I really do.

Also, I will qualify my comment about physicality by saying how impressive I thought Millie Bright has been in both England games so far. Utterly dominant in central defence, winning everything in the air. She is a unit, and I mean that in an entirely complimentary way.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be honest, I wasn't particularly excited about going- I do find the women's game very different, and often missing the pace & physicality of the men's game. There are also fewer players with the x-factor, you might say- not many female players who produce that moment of magic. And regrettably, the goalkeepers still tend to be the weak link- I mean, there's no shame in not being able to save shots bound for the top corner when you're 5'9" as opposed to most male keepers who are 6'3"+ these days. But it still makes me wince when some of the soft goals go in.

After England got the penalty though, they were genuinely excellent last night. Yes, Norway defended terribly, but no more so than San Marino did against Harry Kane & co in the World Cup qualifiers and I don't see anybody saying the men's game is a joke as a result. The atmosphere became really good- again, different, but good. It was certainly no worse for the absence of pissed up young blokes singing "Your support is ****ing shit" or "we pay your benefits", that's for sure. I wish I had tickets for the quarter final now, I really do.

Also, I will qualify my comment about physicality by saying how impressive I thought Millie Bright has been in both England games so far. Utterly dominant in central defence, winning everything in the air. She is a unit, and I mean that in an entirely complimentary way.

Yup. All of this. Plus I feel people watching the womens’ game and feeling short-changed that it isn’t the same as the mens’ game (but played by women) are looking for something they’re not going to find.

Elite level tennis is a very different sport across the genders but played on the same court with the same equipment. Both have their merits and whilst the male version tends to be about unbelievable power and short points, the womens’ game can produce some epic rallies. Nobody says womens tennis is poorer for the fact that they’re aren’t smashing 35 aces at 140mph per match.

There’s room for both mens’ and womens’ football and hopefully both can learn a bit from each other about how to play the game.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I’ve watched a lot of women’s football last season (mainly in the attempt to watch 200 games in a season), and I’ve really started to get into it, last night was a game where everything went in. Down the right wing Beth Mead and Lucy Bronze were like a hot knife through butter, and ripped Norway apart. While I agree the goalkeeping is sometimes shall we say suspect, it just makes it a different game, with different tactics. A fine example of a fantastic keeper is Brighton’s own Megan Walsh, who is always man of the match when I watch at Crawley. One thing I do really like is how respectful the players are to officials, the men’s game could learn a lot from that. They have a really good set up at Brighton, and the players seem really together, and Hope Powell is an inspirational trailblazer of the women’s game who we are lucky to have.

In Sussex we have a real hotbed of Women’s football with Brighton in the super league, Lewes in the championship, and Crawley Wasps and Chichester in the National League. I always encourage people to get into it as I’ve really enjoyed it, it’s great to see a generation of girls see football as sport they can get involved in now. I really enjoy heading up to Crawley usually very hungover on a Sunday to watch Brighton, and I think everyone should give it a try. A shame it’s so far away up in Crawley. Attendances are on the rise, with all the games I’ve been to up there having at least over a thousand. If the game was played somewhere like the Amex, or Worthing, I’d not even hesitate to go down there to watch a game every Sunday.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I’ve watched a lot of women’s football last season (mainly in the attempt to watch 200 games in a season), and I’ve really started to get into it, last night was a game where everything went in. Down the right wing Beth Mead and Lucy Bronze were like a hot knife through butter, and ripped Norway apart. While I agree the goalkeeping is sometimes shall we say suspect, it just makes it a different game, with different tactics. A fine example of a fantastic keeper is Brighton’s own Megan Walsh, who is always man of the match when I watch at Crawley. One thing I do really like is how respectful the players are to officials, the men’s game could learn a lot from that. They have a really good set up at Brighton, and the players seem really together, and Hope Powell is an inspirational trailblazer of the women’s game who we are lucky to have.

In Sussex we have a real hotbed of Women’s football with Brighton in the super league, Lewes in the championship, and Crawley Wasps and Chichester in the National League. I always encourage people to get into it as I’ve really enjoyed it, it’s great to see a generation of girls see football as sport they can get involved in now. I really enjoy heading up to Crawley usually very hungover on a Sunday to watch Brighton, and I think everyone should give it a try. A shame it’s so far away up in Crawley. Attendances are on the rise, with all the games I’ve been to up there having at least over a thousand. If the game was played somewhere like the Amex, or Worthing, I’d not even hesitate to go down there to watch a game every Sunday.

I agree about respect shown to officials, and also between the opposing players. It seems to be less begrudging hand shake, and more friendly embraces and joking about. Like everything on Monday, this is a breath of fresh air!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree about respect shown to officials, and also between the opposing players. It seems to be less begrudging hand shake, and more friendly embraces and joking about. Like everything on Monday, this is a breath of fresh air!

There's certainly far more tears and tantrums in the Premier league. A lot of Premier players could learn a bit about maturity from watching this tournament :thumbsup:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just bought a ticket for Friday's game, having enjoyed Wednesday so much. Will be interesting to see if Norway can bounce back with their much vaunted frontline, or if the Austrians can make a surprise bid for the Quarter Finals.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

On role models, I admit I've never fully realised the positive influence these female footballers have on girls. My daughter is a keen and very good footballer, and I've taken her to many brighton games, she enjoys them and we've airways had fun. But Monday night was her first women's football game and I've never seen her as excited and involved before, head and shoulders more engaged, happy and inspired than at the men's games. Wish we'd done it before. She worships Millie Bright, and after the game we waited outside the ground to see the players get on the coach, couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She's even more enthused to work hard and progress as high up the game as she can. Having recently turned 16 she made her senior debut a couple of months back for a fifth tier side and is now itching to get into pre season and keep developing

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
On role models, I admit I've never fully realised the positive influence these female footballers have on girls. My daughter is a keen and very good footballer, and I've taken her to many brighton games, she enjoys them and we've airways had fun. But Monday night was her first women's football game and I've never seen her as excited and involved before, head and shoulders more engaged, happy and inspired than at the men's games. Wish we'd done it before. She worships Millie Bright, and after the game we waited outside the ground to see the players get on the coach, couldn't wipe the smile off her face. She's even more enthused to work hard and progress as high up the game as she can. Having recently turned 16 she made her senior debut a couple of months back for a fifth tier side and is now itching to get into pre season and keep developing

:bowdown: Ms Kalimantan Gull

Be sure to keep us informed with how she progresses and best of luck for the coming season. With all the shit going on at the moment in politics, cost of living, war in Ukraine and just general division and uncertainty, this England womens team are a much needed breath of fresh air and I'm delighted they are getting the exposure that their positivity, togetherness, hard graft and talent deserves.

Last edited:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Just bought a ticket for Friday's game, having enjoyed Wednesday so much. Will be interesting to see if Norway can bounce back with their much vaunted frontline, or if the Austrians can make a surprise bid for the Quarter Finals.

I was tempted too! I think it’ll be a good game

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Excellent. I like the fact that this Euros has been shown on terrestrial tv so everyone can watch it. Sport is so good for people, and thinking of Freddie's work with the kids on tv last night, hopefully it will encourage more kids to take up sport. If nothing else, it gets them fit and is good for learning team work.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here