Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's actual bums on seats

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A Sussex born Sheffield Weds fan ( don't ask) will have his bum on my seat tonight. When I told him he could have it a month or so ago I was hoping he might see the light after seeing a slick Albion side outshine a slick Watford side. I feel I may end up getting the :lolol: reserved for Sheff Weds fans coming back at me tomorrow :down:

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
I'm now not travelling 150 round trip miles by train if that helps. Watching on TV even though STH I just can't be bothered especially given the storm hassle and face it, it might be a very boring game for an Albion fan.

with you, boss, only a 210 mile round trip by road.....thought as the players didn't turn up at Yeovil, why should I turn up tonight....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd be very interested to know people's estimates of the real crowd every week: lest we forget, that's what attendance figures are: the number of people who were in attendance. Not just these puffed-up corporate pretendances.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd be very interested to know people's estimates of the real crowd every week: lest we forget, that's what attendance figures are: the number of people who were in attendance. Not just these puffed-up corporate pretendances.

I had an idea related to this. Getting crowd-sourced attendance figures and comparing them to quoted attendance figures. Everyone who goes to football likes to guess the crowd and say things like "I'm not sure where those 2000 empty seats were" and the like.

It's why I bought this - http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=www.pretendance.com - and have since done absolutely nothing with it.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I had an idea related to this. Getting crowd-sourced attendance figures and comparing them to quoted attendance figures. Everyone who goes to football likes to guess the crowd and say things like "I'm not sure where those 2000 empty seats were" and the like.

It's why I bought this - http://www.checkdomain.com/cgi-bin/checkdomain.pl?domain=www.pretendance.com - and have since done absolutely nothing with it.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Great idea. I doubt you and I would be the only ones interested either.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So we all know by now the attendance is tickets sold and not bums on seats. So tonight it's bound to be announced as over 24k. I would say with it being on the telly and the train disruption we will be looking at nearer 20k or below actually there. Should we start laughing when the attendance comes up? Perhaps some kind of Mexican laugh going gradually round the ground till Sky pick up on it.

Before you ask yes I am going because a) I have Scoffers' ticket and b) I presume it will entitle me to some sort of super fan badge of honour that I can then parade on NSC in subsequent debates.

Entirely unclear why you think mocking the club you purport to support would serve any purpose!!!!!

I must say I'm somewhat bemused by the club's (or is it more likely that nice Mr Barber's) definition of "attendance". I thought it was always quite straightforward........and it is:-

at·tend·ance
[uh-ten-duhns] Show IPA
noun
the act of attending.
the persons or number of persons present:

So the key to being an attendee is to be present. If you don't go, then whether or not you have bought a ticket is totally academic; you aren't present and therefore you cannot be "in attendance".

We can only presume then that the club has changed the English language and that "Official Attendance" should now be defined as those who physically turn up PLUS whatever random number the club decides to use to pad the figures out. All a bit pathetic really. Somebody needs to get a grip or the club should admit that the "official Attendance" figures are a figment of somebody's imagination. If the numbers they give out at the match (and which are then routinely reported in the media) are "Tickets sold" then that's what the club should say they are.

Take it you have ignored all the other threads on this subject and all the info from the club. They are well aware of the above definition, as is everyone else but if you had been paying attention you would be aware that virtually all clubs report figures on this basis as it is more relevant to know from a financial point of view how many tickets were sold.

As for the attendance tonight, other factors that might help the attendance could be that it is half term and that the train disruption earlier in the day may have meant many did not go to work and could therefore make the game tonight!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Another healthy audience, fright night seems to have had a positive impact on sales.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There were 20 or 30 fans at Shoreham station at 7:15, apparently hadn't been a train since 5:50, bit of a sickener, they were well p*ssed off....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Entirely unclear why you think mocking the club you purport to support would serve any purpose!!!!!

!
Oddly, the reaction to tonight's attendence figure was one of mild amusement - even by the tannoy announcer. Were they all mocking the club too?

It's the system that's idiotic. The money men want to know what they've sold, fans want to know how many turned up. Sometimes I yearn for the days when it was the same number.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here