"Tomasz Kuszczak close to return to the Premier League"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I quite like Hamer at Charlton and Darlow at Forest as well as McCarthy at Reading. Heaton at Burnley is also pretty good and Camp at Derby.

Then there is the obvious Schmeichel, Green et al.

Don't think I could make a convincing case for Kuszczak being better than any of them.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Interesting that the article says he's had a good season. Granted, there haven't been many absolute clangers, and the clean sheet record still stacks up, but I personally don't think he's been anywhere near the level he was during his first season with us. Distribution getting worse by the week, and I can think of two or three goals he's conceded that I've been disappointed with.

Doesn't write him off of course, but assuming there was a decent quality replacement available (ie not Brezovan or Ankergren), I don't think it would be the end of the world if he went elsewhere. The replacement is the big IF.

The North Stand absolutely SHIT themselves TWICE last week, when he let the ball run across the goal before HOOFING it to safety

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The North Stand absolutely SHIT themselves TWICE last week, when he let the ball run across the goal before HOOFING it to safety

I assure you it wasn't just the North that was collectively flinching.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I quite like Hamer at Charlton and Darlow at Forest as well as McCarthy at Reading.

Then there is the obvious Schmeichel, Green et al.

Hamer
Darlow
McCarthy
Federici
Green
Schmeichel
Kirkland
Al Habsi
Butland
Heaton
Almunia
Stech
Grant

All perfectly adequate (at worst) keepers at this level. None would let you down over the course of a season, and all bar about two would be on lower wages than ours.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Don't be silly. Of course I'm not basing that keeper's performance entirely on one save - it was merely an illustrative point.

And yes - I'm saying exactly that - that TK has not always done what you'd expect of him. [MENTION=4417]The Complete Badger[/MENTION] 's post lists a few goals against, this season that were eminently saveable. There are a good few others too. Sheff Wednesday last week for example. Not to mention his contribution to Blackburn's shambolic first, and getting beaten from a very narrow angle for their second...

Its all very frustrating, because when he is at his commanding best, like home to QPR, he is MAGNIFICENT.

I Agree he has not been outstanding the whole of the season and yes he made mistakes, but not knowing the other goalkeepers but would think they too have had there fair share of mistakes.
Also with the lack of talks on a extended contract could this also be playing its part in his performance.

Last edited:

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Hamer
Darlow
McCarthy
Federici
Green
Schmeichel
Kirkland
Al Habsi
Butland
Heaton
Almunia
Stech
Grant

All perfectly adequate (at worst) keepers at this level. None would let you down over the course of a season, and all bar about two would be on lower wages than ours.

Season long loan would be perfect.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Those two blunders by Greer the final straw.. We're done worse without our best ever left back Bridge & now it'll deteriorate even faster. If Brezovan gets the no1 shirt I'll cry

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not good reading. For all those saying it would be no big deal if he left I totally disagree. From the outside it looks like the wheels are falling off at this club and Gus was absolutely spot on about hitting the ceiling: Bridge goes, Vicente not re-signed, Bridcutt goes, Barnes goes, now Kuszczak. And look at the replacements - Ward, no-one, Andrews, Rodriguez, ?

I think PIG brings confidence and stability to our defence. His kicking is pretty poor but this is really the icing on the cake, because his defensive work is excellent.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Wouldn't be at all surprised if he went to Palace if they stay up. Speroni will be 35 next month.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Sitting in east upperI was write behind the line of those pass backs ..you sure it wasn't three..each one was getting nearer to going in

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Interesting that the article says he's had a good season. Granted, there haven't been many absolute clangers, and the clean sheet record still stacks up, but I personally don't think he's been anywhere near the level he was during his first season with us. Distribution getting worse by the week, and I can think of two or three goals he's conceded that I've been disappointed with.

Doesn't write him off of course, but assuming there was a decent quality replacement available (ie not Brezovan or Ankergren), I don't think it would be the end of the world if he went elsewhere. The replacement is the big IF.
Certainly recently it's almost seemed as if his mind is on other things even....

edit:
Off the top of my head, thinking about decent keepers with championship experience, I'd go for El Habsi of Wigan or Bolton's Bogdan.
Always been a fan of El Habsi, would be good if we could get him if neccessary. Wouldn't be too disappointed by Gilks either.

Last edited:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Aren't we only 3 points from the play-offs?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Wouldn't be at all surprised if he went to Palace if they stay up. Speroni will be 35 next month.

Very much doubt that TBH, Palace bought Wayne Hennessey in for a couple of Million, pretty sure he will be their number 1 next season.
Also, as a outsider looking in TK is not a particularly outstanding keeper, good but not even in the top 5 in the championship

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
we do such bad transfer business, when you have quality players its easy you dont let the contracts go down this low as lots of teams want good players, it was different when we were in league one and two as no one wanted these players but when we have best defence in league and we playing in championship and pushing to get out of that its obvious lots of our players would be wanted by other teams and we giving a free run at teams.
How can we get nothing for players like him or be forced to sell for cheap on barnes, bridcutt, we very very weak on this front and its ruining our long term aims.
The board and club have to stop this stupid transfer way as losing a lot of good players for nothing and if we have to play casper or brez next year we will be in relegation battle.

I don't doubt we could get just as good a keeper as TK, more worried we won't pay money for that kind of replacement

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports