[Football] Tom Lockyer

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I wish you all the best. Tim Betts at Oxford was my surgeon and he is in the truest sense an absolute world leader. The toughest part is signing the consent form, which says there is a 4% chance you won’t get off the table (if the ablater erroneously hits the atrial node, it’s instant lights out). I wish you all the best, these people are truly brilliant and humbling, and there is a bright future out there. Stay strong and positive.
Thank you, yeah it’s scary but the hospital seem so routine about it that it almost seems normal! I had one which was alright and so hopefully the next one will be too.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
You are quite right LM. Atrial fibrillation is a very precise term, it can cause the heart to fibrillate (attempt to pump) at 400+ times per minute, and the ventricles, atria and electrical stimulus just become completely confused. At the end of the day, the heart is a muscle which relies on an electrical stimulus, and if that stimulus is chaotic and erratic, then the entire body is at massive, immediate, colossal risk. It’s horrible. I lived it for 11 years, whilst simultaneously trying to hold down a very stressful executive career, and bringing up 3 young lads. In the end, I was forced to retire at 51, or face being wheeled out of the office in a box. I have massive respect and admiration for those facing up to similar cardiac challenges today. You have to train your mind to pretend this morning, this afternoon, today, might NOT be your absolute last. It really is very tough, mentally and physically. Respect, admiration and love to those currently facing this very tough and almost invisible Everest. Wedgee.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Thank you, yeah it’s scary but the hospital seem so routine about it that it almost seems normal! I had one which was alright and so hopefully the next one will be too.
We’ll done. Yes, they do seem blasé, but every day they know that they have your very existence in their hands, and for that they become exceptionally skilled, focused, controlled and dedicated, which enables them to feel supercool. You’ll be fine. These people are staggeringly brilliant. I used to think what I achieved in my career (finance) was brilliant. But I soon realised it meant precisely nothing, relative to these true experts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
All I responded to was the statement that this was the player who collapsed in the play off final I don’t really understand why you would reply to my post with all the info you have.I have myself suffered a MI in 2015 so I hope TL is ok
Are you a cardiologist?
Not replying to you specifically. It was a 'jump in' point. I hope you are in good shape :thumbsup:

I have spent 40 years researching to find drugs to prevent sudden cardiac death (acute ischaemia - what you had not what the player has, but I teach about it)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We were driving into Brighton this afternoon when the news broke and it shook me quite a bit because, as you say, he was diagnosed with AF after his Wembley collapse. I knew this background, his subsequent treatment and successful return to football.

I was diagnosed with AF at the beginning of September, and I'm currently waiting the results of the echocardiogram I had mid-October, living the life of a non-running non-drinking monk.

My episode came on when I was out for a 12-mile run and, not knowing what was going on, I just kept stopping for rests before continuing. At the end of the run I could barely walk and when back at home I couldn't stand for five minutes before needing to sit down. When I first read about Tom Lockyer's episode, shortly after having my own, I did consider I was probably very close to collapsing myself given the way I felt.
I have had the next one down, atrial tachycardia, myself. It ought to be a manageable thing, given what causes it at our age (age, booze, and age), not channelopathy and WPW. Keep your head down, badger the health care providers (especially if NHS) and the prognosis is good :thumbsup:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
To illustrate the brilliance, and the sheer professional confidence, of my electrophysiologist and Surgeon Tim Betts at the JR in Oxford, there i am about to clamber onto the table in theatre for a 4+ hour procedure, there must be 16 people in theatre, anaesthetists, scrub nurses, surgeons, technicians, runners etc, and Tim, about to perform the most delicate and intricate ablative surgery, by inserting a camera, a light and an ablater into my atria about the size of a small matchbox, to apply short-circuit busting ablative intervention for hours, on his own, stops and shouts to the two nurses behind a Perspex screen about 25 feet away “Lindsay, could you please get me a double double espresso, i had an absolute skinful last night and I really don’t want to mess this up or fall asleep”. Honest truth. I was a private BUPA patient, and he knew me very well, and he just wanted to put me, and the entire team at ease. Absolute genius of a man, younger than me at the time, and runs marathons for charity in his spare time!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had this in October as well. Got to have another one in the next few months. This is what Lockyer had for his Atrial Fibulation, I read about him when I was reading about the surgery to decide if I was going to get it.

A lot of heart issues you are born with and don’t know about till they become an issue, that’s what was the issue with mine. A lot of things flare up in adulthood that are fine in childhood.

It is amazing the amount of people who wanted to blame mine on the Covid vaccine, despite my telling them I was born with my heart issue. It’s mad.
What type of condition did you have ablated, if you don't mind my asking?

I am a scientist (PhD) not a medic (MBBS) who does research on cardiac arrhythmias, which is why I am interested (in all this stuff, including an educational role in teaching it, differentiating between atrial and ventricular, ischaemic versus hypertropic, pathological versus heritable, etc.)

The ablaters I know are very good. In some respects this is a real success area. For atrial. For ventricular.....other measures may be better. :thumbsup:

As for the general public....Covid?......Just remind yourself that a majority of them voted for Johnson. The public (I include myself in a general sense) know little about what exists beyond their family and trade. That's why we have society - with experts to bring in when the going gets tough. From cleaners to plumbers to cardiologists to bricklayers to tax experts to gardeners to lawyers....and so on)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I am a scientist (PhD) not a medic (MBBS) who does research on cardiac arrhythmias, which is why I am interested (in all this stuff, including an educational role in teaching it, differentiating between atrial and ventricular, ischaemic versus hypertropic, pathological versus heritable, etc.)

The ablaters I know are very good. In some respects this is a real success area. For atrial. For ventricular.....other measures may be better. :thumbsup:

As for the general public....Covid?......Just remind yourself that a majority of them voted for Johnson. The public (I include myself in a general sense) know little about what exists beyond their family and trade. That's why we have society - with experts to bring in when the going gets tough. From cleaners to plumbers to cardiologists to bricklayers to tax experts to gardeners to lawyers....and so on)
Yes, but the impled suggestion that those who voted for Johnson also voted for Covid is, at best, a link that is tad tenuous!

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022

Wolff Parkinson White. I had it done but then when they did the electro study part (forget its proper name!) they found more than one accessory pathway, so i have to go back and do it again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, but the impled suggestion that those who voted for Johnson also voted for Covid is, at best, a link that is tad tenuous!
My point was that when people give advice you can get a clue about its value by considering their other opinions and choices, and my implied suggestion was to not concern one's self about this, especially when you already have professionals involve. Perhaps I didn't make it clear.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wolff Parkinson White. I had it done but then when they did the electro study part (forget its proper name!) they found more than one accessory pathway, so i have to go back and do it again.
I see. Thanks for sharing. I hope they get it all next time. Electrocardiography (ECG) is the diagnostic. And thanks for not misunderstanding my comment :thumbsup:

When 'lay' people offer their enormous opinion (and I'm not a medic so I'm in that category, frankly, even if I do teach medics about antiarrhythmic drugs) it is tempting to take the opportunity to offer 'lay' advice back. For example, I'm not a electrician and would definitely enjoy telling a know-all that their wiring was all wrong, and they had a potential fire risk on their hands. Luckily my neighbours are nice, and anyone else can simply be put on ignore :wink:

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Not replying to you specifically. It was a 'jump in' point. I hope you are in good shape :thumbsup:

I have spent 40 years researching to find drugs to prevent sudden cardiac death (acute ischaemia - what you had not what the player has, but I teach about it)
Marvellous stuff I am in really good shape I do a lot of endurance swimming and have a slot for the channel in 2025 dependant on medical of course and an exercise tolerance test but hoping to give it a go

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Marvellous stuff I am in really good shape I do a lot of endurance swimming and have a slot for the channel in 2025 dependant on medical of course and an exercise tolerance test but hoping to give it a go
Fabulous. Long may it continue :thumbsup: (you are awful, etc. :wink: )

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
He had surgery for the Afib though. A Cardiac Arrest is a different thing, just because it’s his heart doesn’t make the two incidents related.

WPW is what I have. You can pass out because when it goes tachycardic, the heart rate can go massively high (my record was 215bpm) stay in it too long, and over you go.
I bet that’s an incredible heart rate
Good luck with it all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports