Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Daley takes 2:38 to tell us something we all already knew!!!

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Wasn't there a big sensationalised story in the red tops a few months back, where the claim was that a certain number of Premier League stars had secretly revealed themselves to be gay? It's a shame to think they're shying away from announcing it in public for fear of getting abuse from opposition fans.

As for Tom, good for him, but I reckon he didn't have much choice. If he's dating a guy and gets the paparazzi on his tail, the rumours would have intensified anyway.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Good for him, and I'd like to hope that he'll serve as an example to any fans of his who might be going through similar things.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't blame him for swerving more traditional media after the Sun's classy ''CELESBIAN' headline.

Yeah I saw that on the front page yesterday.

I know she was quite open about it but I thought that was a pretty cheap & low way of presenting the story by The Sun.

As you say: totally lacking in class. I know it's The Sun, but surely we're beyond headlines like that in this day & age.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good for him but probably lose some endorsements now and in future

Why on earth would you think that?

He's not admitted to snorting coke, shagging prostitutes or taking performance enhancing drugs. Any company that withdrew their sponsorship for him on the basis that he's in a relationship with a man would, quite rightly, be branded total cretins.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
I can't believe how brave Tom Daley has been today. Agreeing to present another series of that shit reality diving programme Splash.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Still leaves football behind the times of course.

That it does, but sadly you can kind of see why.

There was a movement in The US for a dozen or so pro sportsmen to all come out together, but that did quite happen.
One NBA player did, and it caused a buzz for 10 minutes then that was that.

As it stands there are 4000+ professional footballers in England, none of which are gay and less than 10 have been found to have taken any drug, recreational or performance.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Why on earth would you think that?

He's not admitted to snorting coke, shagging prostitutes or taking performance enhancing drugs. Any company that withdrew their sponsorship for him on the basis that he's in a relationship with a man would, quite rightly, be branded total cretins.

Whether he loses current endorsements depends entirely on which companies currently sponsor him. It is however pretty much a nailed on fact that he will now not get endorsements from prospective sponsors that he would otherwise have a chance at.

"Cyclist Graeme Obree, who came out in 2011, said it was a "positive day", but warned Daley may lose sponsorship. Obree, who twice broke the world hour record, said: "We live in a really tolerant country." But the 48-year-old Scot said he had lost sponsorship deals that had been "signed and agreed" from "national companies with an international presence in countries that don't tolerate gay people". "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/diving/25190813

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Whether he loses current endorsements depends entirely on which companies currently sponsor him. It is however pretty much a nailed on fact that he will now not get endorsements from prospective sponsors that he would otherwise have a chance at.

"Cyclist Graeme Obree, who came out in 2011, said it was a "positive day", but warned Daley may lose sponsorship. Obree, who twice broke the world hour record, said: "We live in a really tolerant country." But the 48-year-old Scot said he had lost sponsorship deals that had been "signed and agreed" from "national companies with an international presence in countries that don't tolerate gay people". "

Exactly . This is the world we live in. He will do quite well short term though

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne

Fairly sure Tom Daley doesnt have any sponsorship deals in countries where being Gay/Bisexual is wrong IE Russia or most of Africa.

In fact, he probably doesnt have many sponsorship deals at all anyway. If a company was to rip up his contract because he came out, the amount of negative publicity they would get would seriously harm the company - it would be pointless.

Only good can come out of this and within a week no one will probably care.

Exactly . This is the world we live in. He will do quite well short term though

Why only Short term ? Long term people wont actually be bothered - that isnt bad at all.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Fair play to him. Hopefully the day will come where having to make a 'coming out' announcement won't be necessary as it just seen as part of life. The only thing Tom Daley has to be embarrassed about in later life is that he co-presented Splash.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I can't believe how brave Tom Daley has been today. Agreeing to present another series of that shit reality diving programme Splash.

:lolol:

i find all this backslappy, good on you lad responce a bit disappointing. why couldnt he have just changed his facebook status to "in relationship with George" or whatever and let it sail by? maybe one day. iirc there are a number of openly gay athletes so i dont really see any need for the fuss.

as for football, why not accept the posibility there might not be any gay footballers?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i find all this backslappy, good on you lad responce a bit disappointing. why couldnt he have just changed his facebook status to "in relationship with George" or whatever and let it sail by? maybe one day. iirc there are a number of openly gay athletes so i dont really see any need for the fuss.

as for football, why not accept the posibility there might not be any gay footballers?
If you honestly believe that Justin Fashanu and that American fella are the exception that proves the rule all footballers are straight, I've got some magic beans for sale.

It's a shame but hardly surprising no footballer has dare to break with convention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here