Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toilets on trains

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just had a reply to my email about this that I sent to Southern Railway, Unfortunately I couldnt copy and paste the e mail, as I dont know how. It said, that particular train was a class 313 which are used on the routes from Southampton and Portsmouth to Brighton and because the journey is less than 1hr 30 mins and 90% of travellers only go 1 ot 2 stations toilets are not provided on the trains Toilets are available on most stations on that line should they be needed.

To me this is a most unsatisfactory answer and explanation and a really wrong assumption. Are travellers from Southampton to Brighton supposed to get off at Angmering and then join a later train.?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just had a reply to my email about this to Southern Railway, Unfortunately I couldnt copy and paste the e mail, as I dont know how. It said that particular train was a class 313 which are used on the routes from Southampton and Portsmouth to Brighton and because the journey is less than 1hr 30 mins and 90% o travellers only go 1 ot 2 stations they do not put carriages with toilets on them. Toilets are available on most stations on thatline should they be needed.

To me this is a most unsatisfactory answer and explanation and a really wrong assumption. Are travellers from Southampton to Brighton supposed to get off at Angmering and then join a later train.?

Crap response I agree. Doubt their stats are accurate either - 90% 1 or 2 stops ??

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
just had a reply to my email about this that i sent to southern railway, unfortunately i couldnt copy and paste the e mail, as i dont know how. it said, that particular train was a class 313 which are used on the routes from southampton and portsmouth to brighton and because the journey is less than 1hr 30 mins and 90% of travellers only go 1 ot 2 stations toilets are not provided on the trains toilets are available on most stations on that line should they be needed.

To me this is a most unsatisfactory answer and explanation and a really wrong assumption. Are travellers from southampton to brighton supposed to get off at angmering and then join a later train.?

ctrl a
ctrl c
ctrl v

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The whole of the London Underground system is without toilets on trains. I don't think I've ever heard anyone complain about this and some routes are very long indeed.

Too true. Try Finchley Road to Uxbridge - 45 minutes. If you need a toilet then I suggest you plan ahead.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just had a reply to my email about this that I sent to Southern Railway, Unfortunately I couldnt copy and paste the e mail, as I dont know how. It said, that particular train was a class 313 which are used on the routes from Southampton and Portsmouth to Brighton and because the journey is less than 1hr 30 mins and 90% of travellers only go 1 ot 2 stations toilets are not provided on the trains Toilets are available on most stations on that line should they be needed.

Aren't the toilets on Angmering station usually locked?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Aren't the toilets on Angmering station usually locked?

I wouldnt know but I do know the ones on the Brighton bound platform at Worthing.are. Nobody has thought to tell the idots of Southern Railway. Either way who wants to get off a train use a toilet then wait for the next train?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I wouldnt know but I do know the ones on the Brighton bound platform at Worthing.are. Nobody has thought to tell the idots of Southern Railway. Either way who wants to get off a train use a toilet then wait for the next train?
It's not always ideal to piss in the gangway between coaches either, if people are watching.

Yoda

English & European
Toilets are available on most stations on that line should they be needed.

That's the biggest pile of bull I've heard from them. Information taken from their own website:

Southampton Central - No
Swanwick - No
Fareham - No
Cosham - No

Portsmouth Harbour - No
Portsmouth & Southsea - No
Fratton - No
Hilsea - No
Bedhampton - No
Havent - No
Warblington - No
Emsworth - No
Southborne - No
Nutborne - No
Bosham - No
Fishborne - No
Chichester - No
Barnham - Yes
Ford - No
Angmering - No
Goring-By-Sea - No
Durrington-On-Sea - No
West Worthing - No
Worthing - Yes
East Worthing - No
Lancing - No
Shoreham-By-Sea - No
Southwick - No
Fishersgate - No
Portslade - No
Aldrington - No
Hove - Yes
Brighton - Yes (But you have to pay for the privilege)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's the biggest pile of bull I've heard from them. Information taken from their own website:

Southampton Central - No
Swanwick - No
Fareham - No
Cosham - No

Portsmouth Harbour - No
Fratton - No
Hilsea - No
Bedhampton - No
Havent - No
Warblington - No
Emsworth - No
Southborne - No
Nutborne - No
Bosham - No
Fishborne - No
Chichester - No
Barnham - Yes
Ford - No
Angmering - No
Goring-By-Sea - No
Durrington-On-Sea - No
West Worthing - No
Worthing - Yes
East Worthing - No
Lancing - No
Shoreham-By-Sea - No
Southwick - No
Fishersgate - No
Portslade - No
Aldrington - No
Hove - Yes

I used the toilet at Portsmouth & Southsea station yesterday as I was bursting after being on a train without a toilet - 20p as well plus NO first class toilets as well, shame on GTR

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The bus from Brighton to Eastbourne takes an hour but i haven't seen any complaints about lack of toilets.
The British just seem obsessed with complaining about the railway system. it can't be that bad or expensive as passenger numbers have at least doubled over the last 20 years.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The bus from Brighton to Eastbourne takes an hour but i haven't seen any complaints about lack of toilets.
The British just seem obsessed with complaining about the railway system. it can't be that bad or expensive as passenger numbers have at least doubled over the last 20 years.

If desperate you can get off the bus and get another one a couple of minutes later as Southern suggested for the train but they are not so frequent.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

Southampton Central - No
Swanwick - No
Fareham - No
Cosham - No

Portsmouth Harbour - No
Fratton - No
Hilsea - No
Bedhampton - No
Havent - No
Warblington - No
Emsworth - No
Southborne - No
Nutborne - No
Bosham - No
Fishborne - No
Chichester - No
Barnham - Yes
Ford - No
Angmering - No
Goring-By-Sea - No
Durrington-On-Sea - No
West Worthing - No
Worthing - Yes
East Worthing - No
Lancing - No
Shoreham-By-Sea - No
Southwick - No
Fishersgate - No
Portslade - No
Aldrington - No
Hove - Yes

Do you trust everything that people tell you? There is deffo toilet at Shoreham, possibly West Worthing and portslade - fuzzy memory, and I'd be amazed if not at Saints central & Pompey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here