Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Today's referee - a wimp!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
No, you can't book a player for wasting time unless they are trying to gain an advantage.
There is no advantage in football unless you are winning.
Simple maths that can lead to the very annoying situation we had today where a team came wanting a point from the first minute.

More tosh.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
he was totally inconsistent..having booked Ince (unfairly imho) he then let Millwall comit a series of fouls of equal if not worse nature without similar punishment

Ince slid in, mistimed it, floored the guy, and deserved his card.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Ince slid in, mistimed it, floored the guy, and deserved his card.

I think his point was Ince went for the ball but missed got booked. Where as a few Millwall players didn't go for ball went for player and nothing was given.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
I agree, and I have already said that.
However, if those Millwall fouls had been in dangerous areas of the pitch, then knob head ref would have booked them.

Millwall outsmarted us with the fouling, by recognising the fact that he only got his cards out for offences committed near the penalty area.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Except its completely accurate.

No it's not, at all, you can be booked for unsportsmanlike behaviour at any time and time wasting is one of the reasons. Nothing at all about gaining an advantage in the rules just deliberate time wasting. You really trying to say if a team is drawing at Old Trafford with minutes to go and they time waste then the ref will not book them! Sorry don't believe it matey.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
what did you expect from Millwall ..? a foul count 0f 7-17 .....time wasting , however players such as shittu , derry , macdonald.....all seasoned professionals , oh and a scottish manager desperate for a point.......Millwall always give us a game.......sounds like we got the game plan wrong and were pretty shit in the first half in front of a silent amex crowd..........slightly depressing but as oscar says...." we will improve" .

hope we get our fingers out before 11 pm monday.......or a lot on here are going to be disappointed.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
what did you expect from Millwall ..? a foul count 0f 7-17 .....time wasting , however players such as shittu , derry , macdonald.....all seasoned professionals , oh and a scottish manager desperate for a point.......Millwall always give us a game.......sounds like we got the game plan wrong and were pretty shit in the first half in front of a silent amex crowd..........slightly depressing but as oscar says...." we will improve" .

hope we get our fingers out before 11 pm monday.......or a lot on here are going to be disappointed.

The manager is Irish.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I agree about the time wasting tactics on show from Millwall. But in reality, if we had taken our chances this thread wouldn't exist! I guess most supporters look to the ref/opposition for excuses when their own team are so poor!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Except its completely accurate.

Only in your mind. I think that fans that pay money, deserve to be entertained. If one team go all out to make the game a drag then they should be punished accordingly.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I agree, and I have already said that.
However, if those Millwall fouls had been in dangerous areas of the pitch, then knob head ref would have booked them.

Millwall outsmarted us with the fouling, by recognising the fact that he only got his cards out for offences committed near the penalty area.

That explains his decision to book Ince for his challenge on the touchline near the halfway line. Thanks for clearing that up.

It was clear to everybody that Millwall were wasting time to break down any momentum we were gaining. They may not have been winning but their tactics were to make sure we didn't win either.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ince and Calderon got their bookings because there were few defenders around to cover, wheat millwall always seemed to have covering defenders around when they fouled.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It haid that Millwall were odds on to get beat and Lomas sacked from the start and even when they took the lead it was most obvious that we would score at least 1 goal so by wasting time they were seeking to gain an advantage.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cautionable offences
A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
• unsporting behaviour
• dissent by word or action
• persistent infringement of the Laws of the Game
• delaying the restart of play
• failure to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner
kick, free kick or throw-in
• entering or re-entering the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission
• deliberately leaving the fi eld of play without the referee’s permission​

Note there is no qualification about when or how the restart of play is delayed. And in the advice to referees section defining delay of play:

Delaying the restart of play
Referees must caution players who delay the restart of play by tactics such as:
• taking a free kick from the wrong position with the sole intention of forcing
the referee to order a retake
• appearing to take a throw-in but suddenly leaving it to one of his teammates
to take
• kicking the ball away or carrying it away with the hands after the referee
has stopped play
• excessively delaying the taking of a throw-in or free kick
• delaying leaving the fi eld of play when being substituted
• provoking a confrontation by deliberately touching the ball after the referee
has stopped play​

Nothing about whether a team is winning or losing, because, it simply doesn't matter.

shaunslats

Mar 6, 2013
Magrathea
if I remember rightly he also signalled the incorrect way a few times, I may be wrong with this but I believe I remember at least a couple of times him indicating a free-kick/throw-in for us but then millwall taking it without the ref correcting the signalling

Yoda

English & European
if I remember rightly he also signalled the incorrect way a few times, I may be wrong with this but I believe I remember at least a couple of times him indicating a free-kick/throw-in for us but then millwall taking it without the ref correcting the signalling

Couldn't make his mind up whether to point to the incident or whose free kick it was for the entire game.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Having been a referee at a senior level for many years, I usually find myself standing up for them at the Amex. However, today's was pathetic. Yes, he got a lot of decisions right- but then so he should. That's the easy bit.It was his total inability to deal with Millwall's blatant time-wasting tactics and the non- stop intimidation and whining from the likes of Shittu and Derry that suggested he is not up to this level of football. He also failed to deal equally with foul play- Calderon gets booked yet he did nothing about two blatant body-checks. Players want consistency from officials - they certainly didn't get it today!

What level are you at? Senior is defined as 7 onwards, just interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here