Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Todays Argus - No Real Story

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can't help feeling that Dean Wilkins was treated far worse, the only difference being, Wilkins walked away quietly.We haven't done anything to Gus that we haven't done in the past. Poyet is no saint aswell, as he push Sparrow and Vincelot out by making them feel very unwelcome.

You're right there. Wilkins' treatment was a disgrace and he's an honourable bloke who deserved better. I love what Gus did for the club but his character was bound to bring acrimony in the end. At the time I was prepared to overlook his treatment of Sparrow & Vincelot as just one of those things that happen in football. But again I agree that the way he forced out 2 good pros was unsavoury. They were punished for his mistake of collecting too many players.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think it may be a case of reading into some of the comments. Lines such as 'throwing his weight around' etc may be the key ones. Some people could perceive that as something far worse if it is done in a perceived aggressive manner for example.

All very subjective though really. No real evidence from The Argus and if we've done things properly there shouldn't be. Clearly the club put themselves in a corner yesterday regarding the announcement of the dismissal and if nothing else it is that strategy that needs review.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're right there. Wilkins' treatment was a disgrace and he's an honourable bloke who deserved better. I love what Gus did for the club but his character was bound to bring acrimony in the end. At the time I was prepared to overlook his treatment of Sparrow & Vincelot as just one of those things that happen in football. But again I agree that the way he forced out 2 good pros was unsavoury. They were punished for his mistake of collecting too many players.

Gus didn't negotiate Sparrow & Vincelot's contracts and found himself in the Championship with League 1 players who had got extensions to their contracts from appearances. He knew they werern't good enough to play.
The fans have said exactly the same about Brezovan this summer. Why the club continue to activate appearance clauses in contracts is beyond me.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
LOL, inside the argus is a supposed tweet from Robyn at Talksport. She's just tweeted back saying "Hey, that's not my twitter account and I do not think that! #furious

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Gus didn't negotiate Sparrow & Vincelot's contracts and found himself in the Championship with League 1 players who had got extensions to their contracts from appearances. He knew they werern't good enough to play.
The fans have said exactly the same about Brezovan this summer. Why the club continue to activate appearance clauses in contracts is beyond me.

Vincelot signed for us when we were in the Championship. He made them feel unwelcome, he wouldn't even let their names be put on the match day programme.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I can't help feeling that Dean Wilkins was treated far worse, the only difference being, Wilkins walked away quietly.We haven't done anything to Gus that we haven't done in the past. Poyet is no saint aswell, as he push Sparrow and Vincelot out by making them feel very unwelcome.

Wasn't Wilkins' contract paid up in full? So he wasn't really sacked at all.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Wasn't Wilkins' contract paid up in full? So he wasn't really sacked at all.

He also done nothing wrong, and in my opinion had a pretty good season as our manager. Gus on the other hand might have had a very good season on the field, but it is very hard to say he has done nothing wrong. For me it is all down to if he refused to do the retain list, if he did then no one can convince me he doesn't deserve the sack. Once you refuse to do your job, then you shouldn't have a job to go back to. I can understand that leagally its down to what his contract says and suspect that is why there has been a 5 week investigation.

Aug 23, 2011
If thats the reasons for dismissal then i find it a little strange though not unsurprising. Surely if he was getting a bit big for his boots and saying things they weren't happy with, the first port of call would be to get him in to the office and manage teh situation. Probably they tried to do this but considering the results on the pitch were good (which is what matters) then surely the sitaution could have been handled better. Anyway hopefully this matter is finally over in so much as we can get a new man in whether its interim or not (whats in a job title)

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Not masses in the article but perhaps the situation was not driven by barber after all and more down to the bloom poyet relationship. Not that this will be a popular thought

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He also done nothing wrong, and in my opinion had a pretty good season as our manager.

Are you absolutely certain he done nothing wrong (sic)?
As you go on to say it is very hard to say he has done nothing wrong. Boards don't sack managers for nothing.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Are you absolutely certain he done nothing wrong (sic)?
As you go on to say it is very hard to say he has done nothing wrong. Boards don't sack managers for nothing.

I don't remember Wilkins doing anything wrong, from what I remember it was to do with Wilkins not being a big enough name and Micky Adams being available, I also seem to remember he was offered another post at the club that he turned down, which would suggest he hadn't done anything wrong (I might be wrong though).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't remember Wilkins doing anything wrong, from what I remember it was to do with Wilkins not being a big enough name and Micky Adams being available, I also seem to remember he was offered another post at the club that he turned down, which would suggest he hadn't done anything wrong (I might be wrong though).

He was offered his old job back as coach, because he couldn't handle the players. Some of the older players were completely ignored, not even saying good morning to them, and made them train with the youth. I have two old players word on that. He was a great coach but management was beyond him.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He was offered his old job back as coach, because he couldn't handle the players. Some of the older players were completely ignored, not even saying good morning to them, and made them train with the youth. I have two old players word on that. He was a great coach but management was beyond him.

He sidelined Butters and Hart in much the same way as Poyet sidelined Sparrow and Vincelot.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
If that's all that there is to his sacking, then a) seems a weak case for dismissal in front of a tribunal (refusing to deal with contracts aside, although that may be interpreted as a symptom of breakdown in relationship), and 2) why couldn't the board just let him get on with his job which he was doing bloody well. Seems to be some very sensitive souls there!

Where's the smoking gun?

I agree. The only evidence Naylor has unveiled can be summed up in 2 words: internal squabbling. Gus is no angel and must be hard to work with, but that's partly how he's pushed the team forward. The CEO has the responsibility to deal with internal squabbling, if he can't do that then he is the one not fit for purpose in my view.

PG

PS Funny, I thought we were always being told that football was a results business.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Wow I don't think I knew that. I am pretty sure about Poyet though, in the sense of if he is shown not to have done his job, he doesn't have a leg to stand on in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here