Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] To Avoid De Zerbi Bashing - The Staying Up/Europe Tracker - season 2022-23 FINAL Update - 22 OVER

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Quite similar to last season.
Yes in line with 2021-22 but actually now below our first season in the premier league. Let's hope we don't fall off a cliff quite as dramatically as we did that season!

NSC All Seasons Comparison 22-23.png

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
2 winnable games coming up as well before we go into the break

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Back to 7 (seven) over after that absolutely destruction of Chelsea. Could see that go into double figures for the first time (since last season) with a win at Wolves!

2 over Europe although fear Newcastle turning the big six into the big seven is going to make that bar higher than this target.

NSC F 12.png

NSC G 12.png

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are +6 n the YOY tracker... *forgive my rather arbitrary match up of the promoted teams with last years relegated teams. 3 points required in next two to remain on par.

Man Utd (A) + 3
Newcastle (H) -
West Ham (A) +2
Leeds (H) + 2
Norwich / Fulham (A) -1
Leicester (H) -
Liverpool (A) -
Spurs (H) -
Brentford (A) -3
Forest / Burnley (H) + 1
City (A) -
Chelsea (H) +2

------------------
Wolves (A) 3
Villa (H) 0

On the game by game YOY - After 12 games in 21/22 we were P12: W: 4 D 5 L 3 Pts: 17 and in 9th so we are + 1

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
We are +6 n the YOY tracker... *forgive my rather arbitrary match up of the promoted teams with last years relegated teams. 3 points required in next two to remain on par.

Man Utd (A) + 3
Newcastle (H) -
West Ham (A) +2
Leeds (H) + 2
Norwich / Fulham (A) -1
Leicester (H) -
Liverpool (A) -
Spurs (H) -
Brentford (A) -3
Forest / Burnley (H) + 1
City (A) -
Chelsea (H) +2

------------------
Wolves (A) 3
Villa (H) 0

On the game by game YOY - After 12 games in 21/22 we were P12: W: 4 D 5 L 3 Pts: 17 and in 9th so we are + 1
Thank you, I was wondering about this, I find it very reasurring that in only 2 out of 12 we have a worse result, and in 5 we have bettered last seasons result. No comparison between seasons, or trackers is perfect but the tracker PLUS this info gives a very good idea about the state the club is in.

I recall over the past few seasons comments about turning losses to draws and draws to wins, it certainly seems that we are finally doing just that- now if we could only sort out getting points whenever we play the current bottom 3 teams we are sorted!

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
If you look at how the season so far has played out, I think +7 underplays things a little.

We've played 12, and sit 8th. Of those 12, 6 of them were against teams who are currently ahead on the table (we're yet to play Arsenal). 3 of the remaining 6 were against sides who now sit mid-table. We've already played 5 of the "top 6" clubs and from those matches taken 7 points.

When you look back, with 20-20 hindsight - that draw vs Newcastle doesn't look quite so disappointing now (they've only lost once). Nor does the loss vs Fulham (that one still disappointing, but not as bad now you look at them sitting on a 5-4-4 record).

Between now and the end of Jan we've got a run of matches where we could significantly out-perform the tracker if we play consistently to a similar standard as we have so far this season. We could find ourselves looking at somewhere between +14 and +19 by Jan 31st.

(I'm now off to find a lot of wood to touch!)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
If you look at how the season so far has played out, I think +7 underplays things a little.

We've played 12, and sit 8th. Of those 12, 6 of them were against teams who are currently ahead on the table (we're yet to play Arsenal). 3 of the remaining 6 were against sides who now sit mid-table. We've already played 5 of the "top 6" clubs and from those matches taken 7 points.

When you look back, with 20-20 hindsight - that draw vs Newcastle doesn't look quite so disappointing now (they've only lost once). Nor does the loss vs Fulham (that one still disappointing, but not as bad now you look at them sitting on a 5-4-4 record).

Between now and the end of Jan we've got a run of matches where we could significantly out-perform the tracker if we play consistently to a similar standard as we have so far this season. We could find ourselves looking at somewhere between +14 and +19 by Jan 31st.

The really disappointing one for me was Forest. Really frustrating on the day. Point at Wolves (aim for three) would be nice, and three against Villa and it’s looking very, very rosy. I might even enjoy the World Cup a bit.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
The really disappointing one for me was Forest. Really frustrating on the day. Point at Wolves (aim for three) would be nice, and three against Villa and it’s looking very, very rosy. I might even enjoy the World Cup a bit.
Yup, that's the one that stands out from the other 11 as a genuine disappointment and missed opportunity.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You seem to be naively forgetting that - for a number of seasons now - we are regularly shitter against bad teams than good ones.

I guess that's where we can see if a more all-out attacking style under De Zerbi might change things.

I think Mitoma could be vital against weaker sides also.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
You seem to be naively forgetting that - for a number of seasons now - we are regularly shitter against bad teams than good ones.

I guess that's where we can see if a more all-out attacking style under De Zerbi might change things.

I think Mitoma could be vital against weaker sides also.
Not forgetting, just hoping that trend changes this year. So far this season we've only really played against 2 of the struggling sides. We smashed Leicester, and had a bad day vs Forest. So that's 1-1 from bad teams so far.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not forgetting, just hoping that trend changes this year. So far this season we've only really played against 2 of the struggling sides. We smashed Leicester, and had a bad day vs Forest. So that's 1-1 from bad teams so far.
Sorry, I meant traditionally smaller sides - ie Forest, Fulham and Brentford.

Teams like Leicester I think we can do quite well against, as I feel they are “big” enough they think they should beat us.

We struggle against sides who respect us too much, basically. Imo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sorry, I meant traditionally smaller sides - ie Forest, Fulham and Brentford.

Teams like Leicester I think we can do quite well against, as I feel they are “big” enough they think they should beat us.

Agree. Villa and Wolves are not doing well but I think Brighton got a good chance against them, as they both want to pretend to be good.

The best way to beat Brighton is to get the first goal and then defend with 9 players and put two guys on Trossard and then watch the brightonese desperation unfold, but I think these two teams are too dumb and would keep attacking after going one up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

We do but then we don’t win very many football matches in the PL against well, anyone. Normally only 9 and last year 12 - out of 38. Improve that by only small margins and who knows but fact is the norm for us - is we struggle to win at least - against lots of sides.
That said our 12 wins in 2022 so far have come against Everton, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, Man United (twice), West Ham (twice), Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea. - is there a pattern ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We do but then we don’t win very many football matches in the PL against well, anyone. Normally only 9 and last year 12 - out of 38. Improve that by only small margins and who knows but fact is the norm for us - is we struggle to win at least - against lots of sides.
That said our 12 wins in 2022 so far have come against Everton, Watford, Spurs, Arsenal, Wolves, Man United (twice), West Ham (twice), Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea. - is there a pattern ?
I think it's notable there's no Norwich, Bournemouth, Nottm Forest, Burnley, etc etc. Teams who will sit 11 behind the ball at the Amex generally don't get beaten.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here