Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping in the States

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but my recent experience in western USA was that the "suggested" gratuity shown on the bill was 18%, 20%, or 25%!! Definitely a jump from a minimum of 15% which I reall from previous visits. 25% is effing outrageous. And the gratuity was based on the total bill including tax.

First, there's no way I'm giving a gratuity on the tax amount, and secondly 15% is quite enough, thank you!

So my policy is 15% max of the bill amount net of tax. If they don't like it, hard luck.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I haven't read all the posts on this thread, but my recent experience in western USA was that the "suggested" gratuity shown on the bill was 18%, 20%, or 25%!! Definitely a jump from a minimum of 15% which I reall from previous visits. 25% is effing outrageous. And the gratuity was based on the total bill including tax.

First, there's no way I'm giving a gratuity on the tax amount, and secondly 15% is quite enough, thank you!

So my policy is 15% max of the bill amount net of tax. If they don't like it, hard luck.

Too true! I've never offered more than 15%.
In fairness most staff are fairly adept at giving the correct amount in small change in order to make it easy for the customer.
I do wonder if the tip culture is the reason why they haven't adopted paying for everything on plastic in the same way we have

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here