Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tipping in the States

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That's interesting because that's the opposite of what I do here. I always put the tip down in cash even if I've paid for the meal on card just so that the tip doesn't go through the system and then - as I've always presumed - becomes taxable.

It's always taxable; a lot of (all?) waiters don't pay it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Amerika appears to be powerless to introduce gun control, or provide adequate health care for its people or give workers a reasonable amount of annual leave, but you'd like to think they could at least rustle up enough decency to introduce the minimum wage. It's not like they're short of a bob or two, in global terms. What a backward excuse for a nation.

funny thing is they do have gun control, public health care and minimum wage in many (most?) states. just not at national, federal level. its almost as if they dont like being told what to do by national government, but happy to adopt policies if coming from local legislatures. odd country.

and if you watch sitcoms, films, etc, while they dont have decent holiday, they appear to be able to turn up for work or pop out to a cafe for a few hours when ever they feel. swings and roundabouts.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's always taxable; a lot of (all?) waiters don't pay it.

I don't blame them. I don't think the country as a whole would worry about it either would they ?
My daughter did waitressing through university and her tips were spent wisely on 'Monday night is student night and let's get wasted night'

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tipping is bollocks.

I remember watching a funny episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' where Larry's meal was ruined because he had to tip the waiter AND the captain (the maitre'd) both 15%, so ended up paying 30% on top of his meal price.

If anyone thinks the USA is bad you should go to Egypt where the people expect "baksheesh" for even the smallest courtesy. My holiday there was almost ruined - it was just glorified begging.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
Tipping is bollocks.

I remember watching a funny episode of 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' where Larry's meal was ruined because he had to tip the waiter AND the captain (the maitre'd) both 15%, so ended up paying 30% on top of his meal price.

If anyone thinks the USA is bad you should go to Egypt where the people expect "baksheesh" for even the smallest courtesy. My holiday there was almost ruined - it was just glorified begging.
stay in Blighty

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Having lived in the States for 6 years tipping has become second nature. I don’t always agree with it but know that in a lot of cases the person providing the service depends on it. The levels other posters have mentioned are pretty much the going rate – a dollar a beer and 15 – 20% on meals and taxis. I also tip my hairdresser 5 bucks as he’s a real character and spends the whole time chatting about soccer, and tip the doorman in my apartment block $100 at Christmas, I reckon he really deserves it, but mainly because doormen know all the stuff you really need to know in New York that isn’t available on the internet.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Having lived in the States for 6 years tipping has become second nature. I don’t always agree with it but know that in a lot of cases the person providing the service depends on it.

And the owner of the establishment would be a wee bit f*cked if there were no employees 'providing the service'. They'd presumably have to do it all themselves. Therefore down to them to provide the people who keep their establishment ticking over with a living wage shirley? Else it amounts, as somebody else on here said, to the employee being reduced to begging more or less. And that can't be right, on any level. Having said that though, it's the business model that the Tory Party and the Institute of Directors would dearly love to be able to get away with.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
Exactly this: 10% would be seen as if you'd had a problem with their service. It might seem a bit weird but you are in effect paying the waiting staff's wages and, annoyingly intrusive though they can be, they do work hard in return.

I always thought the mark up that places made on on food and drink, went to pay staff wages etc.. having to tip to get proper service really irks me

It should be a REWARD. NOT a requirement.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I tip the doorman in my apartment block $100 at Christmas, I reckon he really deserves it, but mainly because doormen know all the stuff you really need to know in New York that isn’t available on the internet.

Say no more squire......nudge nudge.:thumbsup:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Agree with you, but they do actually have a minimum wage. Also most states have got rid of the 'tips make up wages' think AFAIK but I might be wrong on that. I rarely tip in the UK and don't like to in the US, but I feel inclined especially if I know it makes up ther wages. The owner should be paying wages though, not taking my money and asking me to pay their staff too

I do get it, but owner's ask us to pay his staff wherever you are through the drinks, food, etc etc.

Lets not kid ourselves here, you are likely to get greater value for money in say an American restaurant even with the tipping issue than if you went to most UK restaurants that might be less demanding on the tips whilst just bumping up the charges on their grub.

Go to the States enjoy it, add 20% to most things and relax most thing are 30% cheaper there anyway !!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
It's definitely a bit random and weird. Why do we in the UK tip taxi drivers and not bus drivers? Why do we generally tip the person that cuts our hair but not the person that pours our beer?

When I was about 19, I got dropped off in the center of Brighton by taxi, gave him a teabag as a tip, and told him to get himself a drink.
Not done that since. Had to run quite some distance before I shook him off.

Here, they just add items to your bill that you havnt had. Another Prague tip. Something to be aware of.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I worked and lived in the States.

One rainy day my battery was flat and a kindly gentlemen stopped and offered to jump start me.

As my car burst into life and I said a cheery 'thanks mate', he held out his hand and said 'that'll be $5 dollars', I kid you not and I handed over $5 as requested.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Is that per drink or per round ?

Rounds don't really happen as much there for some reason, even when its a group of British people drinking. $1 for two drinks is still usually fine - probably not if they're $15 cocktails though!

The two drink round I was getting in a bar in Oregon was $10 exactly and if I handed in a $20 I was being given ten singles in change. They got a few rounds later bought with ten singles! (and another single, because I wanted to be served again)

I always find it odd that the cheaper food places in the states - often ridiculously cheap compared to here - are the ones where you aren't required or overly expected to tip - counter service and so on.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I worked and lived in the States.

One rainy day my battery was flat and a kindly gentlemen stopped and offered to jump start me.

As my car burst into life and I said a cheery 'thanks mate', he held out his hand and said 'that'll be $5 dollars', I kid you not and I handed over $5 as requested.
I rest my case.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I rest my case.

Perhaps, but I cannot be sure if Americans feel any deed should be rewarded, perhaps that is why he stopped to make himself an easy few quid (1980's), it might be argued would anyone stop in the UK and help, are those that drive on by here in the UK any less selfish.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
When my mate won $10,000 on a Vegas dealer game (grand each to us all as a prearranged deal fortunately) the dealer stated bluntly he EXPECTED a $1,000 dollar tip for his part in it.
We laughed at him
He got $20

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here