Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Timewasting from the 20th minute

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
The answer Bournemouth fans need for the "Ref didnt add enough time on" is simple- Bournemouth players should stop wasting time in the first place, then there wouldnt be an issue

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
While I did enjoy the speed with which they suddenly started playeing in the final few minutes after going a goal down I don't blame them for those tactics. They're fighting for their lives so have to do whatever they can to pick up points.

Yes, we want teams to come and play but that's because we're currently in a position where that benefits us as we're basically f***ing amazing. In their situation we would have, and have done, the same.

It's way more annoying when teams like Wolves and Villa, teams that are competitive and have eyes on the top half, do it from the first whistle, all game, every game. That's proper shithouse and a god awful, embarrassing way to play when you don't need to.
Oh, it's certainly entirely understandable and expected. Coming to the Amex and getting a point is a big result for a side scrapping down there.

That doesn't alter the fact that it's bloody frustrating to sit through.

And we have ourselves to blame, in part. If Undav scores one of those three attempts he had then it changes everything - they have to come at us a bit more and we'd probably pick them off and win by three or four.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We did a little experiment yesterday
It roughly worked out 1minute wasted every three throw ins and 1 minute wasted every two goal kicks so when there was only three mins at half time no where near enough .

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Oh, it's certainly entirely understandable and expected. Coming to the Amex and getting a point is a big result for a side scrapping down there.

That doesn't alter the fact that it's bloody frustrating to sit through.

And we have ourselves to blame, in part. If Undav scores one of those three attempts he had then it changes everything - they have to come at us a bit more and we'd probably pick them off and win by three or four.
Yeah, that's the key point, I think. If we score it's an easy game and we win by 3 or 4. The frustration is about us not being good enough on the day to counteract their tactics.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Did it start that late? :lolol:

The worst I’ve seen were:
1. Colin Wanker’s Cardiff in their last Championship visit to the Amex, he admitted pre match what he’d do.
2. Emery’s Villa visit to the Amex before the WC. Matty The Cnt Cash and his mates were cheats for the entire game. As a consequence, I love it when they lose.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
So much that can be done easily to solve this. Key is intelligent understanding of which team wants to waste time. It is only ever a maximum of one of the two teams. Be vigilant in catching out the timewasters. Quick yellow cards where possible for their obvious timewasting actions throughout the match.

Then make it down to the ref to come up with a number of added minutes at end of each half based objectively on what has gone on but also taking into account what will benefit the non-timewasting team.

Remove fake injuries by playing on when they lie on the floor. Completely OK for people being paid millions to accept a small risk of physical harm in doing their work. Once a match on average (?) expert pitchside medics can still rush on to a stricken player when serious head injury or heart attack looks likely from the incident and player body language.

There should be ZERO advantage possible from timewasting. It must be made sufficiently counterproductive so that it disappears from the game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So much that can be done easily to solve this. Key is intelligent understanding of which team wants to waste time. It is only ever a maximum of one of the two teams. Be vigilant in catching out the timewasters. Quick yellow cards where possible for their obvious timewasting actions throughout the match.

Then make it down to the ref to come up with a number of added minutes at end of each half based objectively on what has gone on but also taking into account what will benefit the non-timewasting team.

Remove fake injuries by playing on when they lie on the floor. Completely OK for people being paid millions to accept a small risk of physical harm in doing their work. Once a match on average (?) expert pitchside medics can still rush on to a stricken player when serious head injury or heart attack looks likely from the incident and player body language.

There should be ZERO advantage possible from timewasting. It must be made sufficiently counterproductive so that it disappears from the game.
You can often tell a faux injury from 75 yards away.

Whilst a couple of Bmuff players were administering themselves the last rites yesterday, not one Bmuff player went to see how they were.

Total timekeeping included time on top of added time should be managed by an official in the stands.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The relatively new phenomenon of the fake head injury makes a lot of this difficult.

The ref is pretty much compelled to stop play if there is any hint of a head injury, and rightly so. The problem is the snides are willing and able to exploit this.

The other aspect of all this is not timewasting per se, but just slowing the momentum that the opposition are developing.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just out of interest, has anyone here moaning about time wasting ever been to a Brighton away game. 0:1 up we can also put on a few dramas. Not as bad as falling over injured but goal kicks taking forever, lost ball at throwins etc.
But never in all my life have I seen anything like that number 8 running into the box to feign injury, only to get up and run all the way back again. Did anyone record the full game?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don’t recall us time wasting anything like that TBH.

The PL need to take action though around time wasting, it’s been ridiculous this season.
Nor me – not to such an obvious extent, anyway. The Spurs thing was more going from sitting VERY deep and keeping possession while at 0-0 to suddenly rushing to get the ball and suddenly complaining when Lloris (I think it was) took his time over goal kicks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The relatively new phenomenon of the fake head injury makes a lot of this difficult.

The ref is pretty much compelled to stop play if there is any hint of a head injury, and rightly so. The problem is the snides are willing and able to exploit this.

The other aspect of all this is not timewasting per se, but just slowing the momentum that the opposition are developing.
Any head injury should require the player to be taken off and assessed for a minimum of 5 minutes. With no substitution for the player that is off the pitch.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just out of interest, has anyone here moaning about time wasting ever been to a Brighton away game. 0:1 up we can also put on a few dramas. Not as bad as falling over injured but goal kicks taking forever, lost ball at throwins etc.
But never in all my life have I seen anything like that number 8 running into the box to feign injury, only to get up and run all the way back again. Did anyone record the full game?
To an extent, yes: the Spurs game I mentioned in the OP. I was in the Spurs end and it was obvious to EVERYONE what the gameplan was – and I wasn't a fan of it either. But a) it wasn't from the 20th minute and b) it was FAR less obvious than a professional footballer, who is – one would assume – very fit, going down with cramp 20 minutes into a game!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t recall us time wasting anything like that TBH.

The PL need to take action though around time wasting, it’s been ridiculous this season.
It isn't about the time wasted. It is about disrupting the flow of the game.

The only solution is cards.

Apologies to the bloke and his lad in front of me when I lost my shit and yelled

"It isn't about the time wasted. It is about disrupting the flow of the game. Get the cards out, you f***ing ****, Pawson"

This was in the first half :facepalm:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I thought Forest were worse and probably the worst I’ve seen, to be honest. Bournemouth not much better, though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The only solution is cards.

Apologies to the bloke and his lad in front of me when I lost my shit and yelled

"It isn't about the time wasted. It is about disrupting the flow of the game. Get the cards out, you f***ing ****, Pawson"

This was in the first half :facepalm:
I agree, but for #teamslike insert name here, it is both. Of course it disrupts flow, but you never get the time, I mean 4 mins was laughable (well actually it was given the number of substitutions)……

It was quite amusing though….

Players with head injuries should be removed from the field of play for at least 15 minutes, to allow a full medical examination (with a concussion sub on) I think in some respects this might help, as no player wants to lose time off the field for a prolonged length of time.

It doesn’t address the frequency of stoppages though 😐

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree, but for #teamslike insert name here, it is both. Of course it disrupts flow, but you never get the time, I mean 4 mins was laughable (well actually it was given the number of substitutions)……

It was quite amusing though….

Players with head injuries should be removed from the field of play for at least 15 minutes, to allow a full medical examination (with a concussion sub on) I think in some respects this might help, as no player wants to lose time off the field for a prolonged length of time.

It doesn’t address the frequency of stoppages though 😐

Chop their goolies off. Chop them off, now. Off with the goolies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here