Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Times (Nick Szczepanik) say Coppell

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyway, ignoring that, I don't see what Coppout's MOTIVATION to succeed with us would be now. He's done the whole League 1 to Prem thing in a new stadium with Reading.

Wasn't it Pardew who took Reading from League 1 -> Championship, whereupon Coppell eventually took over?

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
Yeah, it was. My point was more that Coppell has been at a club that's done that and taken them to their highest point. Reading is the EXACT example of what our ultimate ambition must be. So if anyone wants to offer an answer, I'd be very interested to hear what Coppell's motivation would be to do it all again with us? He'd basically be trying to repeat what he's just done, and it would take five years of his life and a lot of grief from petty idiots in a temporary stand.

Isnt repeating what they have done what most managers do anyway??
Whats Fergies motivation for winning the league over and over again?
Clubs generally go for managers who have a record in keeping teams up, taking teams up etc etc.
Coppell took Reading as far as they could go, hes a sportsman so therefore he is someone who enjoys success. We are a club in transition and absolutely the kind of challenge any decent manager would want to be part of.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've never followed Coppell that closely, but he always comes across very cool, calm and collected to the point of displaying a lack of emotional attachment.

For whatever reason, and I don't know why, I think he developed a real emotional involvement with the Albion and I wouldn't be surprised that, if he were given the opportunity to come back, that he'd take it in order to try and finish the job he started.

For that to happen he'd have to be asked and he'd have to believe the timing were right for him. Neither of those may be the case right now.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
I'm not negative, just VERY annoyed at the atrocious treatment of a hero.

I would like us to go for a young, up and coming manager instead of someone who would be on a downward curve coming to us. I don't see that Coppell or Curbishley would have the burning desire to succeed with us. So I'm not sure exactly who is available or would be interested, but I'd like to see us go for someone in the Darren Ferguson/Simon Grayson/Paul Ince category. Obviously not them exactly because they won't leave their clubs for us, but someone in a similar situation to what they were in when they were appointed at where they are now.

That's a fair comment but it's very difficult to pick an up and coming manager. There aren't currently obvious candidates in Div 2 or the Conference. Ferguson, Grayson and Ince all had initial success, I think, in the bottom division. An outsider for the job or number 2 could be Nicky Forster.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Papa Lazarou and I saw Nick Szczepanik on Brighton station before the match yesterday.

Don't know if that is relevant or not.

It would have been at least two and a half hours before the match given that he was covering the Portsmouth v Wigan match at Boracic Park ...

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Coppell seems to have developed a genuine affection for us, has unfinished business with us (framed around a much improved off-field situation than last time too) and, tantalisingly, IS AVAILABLE.

He seems an articulate, thoughtful and well-balanced gentleman. He has the experience that I feel this club needs at this time and is the kinda guy who won't necessarily go for the obvious job (he has surely been offered jobs at our level or above since leaving Reading?!) but could find personal appeal in the Brighton job at this time.

I think the timing is perfect and aside from Curbs (who didn't go for it last March so may be uninterested now....albeit our situation's less bleak than 8 months ago!) I can't think of another candidate to compare.

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
He also has the perfect public profile for our desires....well known and well respected, won't gabble in badly worn cliches, generally adds kudos to the club with his managerial pedigree and because of his aforementioned affection for us has staying power.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'm not negative, just VERY annoyed at the atrocious treatment of a hero.

I would like us to go for a young, up and coming manager instead of someone who would be on a downward curve coming to us. I don't see that Coppell or Curbishley would have the burning desire to succeed with us. So I'm not sure exactly who is available or would be interested, but I'd like to see us go for someone in the Darren Ferguson/Simon Grayson/Paul Ince category. Obviously not them exactly because they won't leave their clubs for us, but someone in a similar situation to what they were in when they were appointed at where they are now.

Who would you like Mr Almost-as-miserable?

Coppell and you are very negative and also like to post things that are controversial to make you feel better.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I have heard that coppell is no.1 target but not signed up yet. I hope the rumours about wise are wrong.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Haha, let's not go there, I may have overdone that debate on nsc once or ten times before.

Needless to say I don't think a club with ambition should demean themselves by employing the ICON of their biggest rivals. Maybe that's just me though who has a bit of self-respect.

Anyway, ignoring that, I don't see what Coppout's MOTIVATION to succeed with us would be now. He's done the whole League 1 to Prem thing in a new stadium with Reading. That's what we're trying to do so, at his time of life, what's the incentive for him to do it again? It's not like he needs the money.

Do you really think the "rivals" thing is considered an issue by anyone other than supporters? If you are not prepared to support someone because of who he once played for or managed you need to grow up.

Isn't Nicky Forster a Palace fan? Better kick him out too eh?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
So by the laws of NSC, Teddy Sheringham, Steve Coppell, Alan Curbishley or Dennis Wise will "be announced on Tuesday".

I do not know what i would do without NSC for entertainment :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here