Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Timeline 1997

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We've got to this stage have we ? "Look how far we've come" yawn. The commentator last night mentioned it loads of times, yeah we get it cos we were there. This was all posted last year and the year before etc.....

This is the 20th anniversary of the most traumatic season in the clubs history. There will be fans who were there, half time at Hereford who, in a few weeks time, will be experiencing half time at Villa Park in circumstances that could not be more gloriously opposite.

If that stirs nothing in you but a yawn, then stick it up your arse mate. And sling yer hook from this thread.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
IMG_1452.PNGOn 3 December 1996 we were way off the bottom of the league

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it was at an evening game (Lincoln City). I also remember one of the invaders kicking a female steward.

We were lucky to get away with the Leyton Orient attacks. Basically the FA let us off.

After the female steward incident, the flat-mate of a friend of mine at the time had dropped out of Uni and was doing several part-time jobs including stewarding at The Goldstone, I can remember he jacked it in after that.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Organised pitch invsion vs York. Game abandoned. It was well advertised in advance. I was there with one of my brothers but did not invade the pitch as I thought the inevitable points deduction was not what we needed at that time.

The York pitch invasion was 100% necessary, only many did not realise so at the time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On April 8 1997 the division 3 table looked like this. We were 5 points adrift with 4 games to play. Our last game had been a 1-0 loss to Scunthorpe on 5 April. Who thinks we had a realistic chance...

It was about then that I bought my ticket for the Hereford game. I really don't know if it's because I thought we had a chance, or because I wanted to be there at what could have been our last ever game - given all that had gone on. The lady at Hereford who took my order simply said 'in the away end?', and I said something along the lines of - 'aren't any Hereford fans going, it might be a crucial game?' She just laughed - so yes, as another poster has said, I think they thought they were safe at this point.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
20 years ago I was away at sea in the Far East & missed one of the greatest moments in the clubs history.
This year I am away at sea in the Med' for THE greatest moment in the clubs history.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The York pitch invasion was 100% necessary, only many did not realise so at the time.

Can you remind me what it achieved. It seemed like emoting at the time, and it may have got us some airtime on the telly, but that wasn't what saved the club. All I remember is it almost cost us our league place and, without that, no amount of marching, protesting, standing outside Archer's house etc etc would have achieved anything.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
IMG_1457.PNGOn 12 April 1997 Albion were at home to league leaders Wigan. On the face of it we had no chance. They had beaten us 1-0 away from home. However this was the season for miracles and we won 1-0, with a goal by Maskell and a great performance by Minton. However the real stars were the crowd with fabulous vocal support for the Seagulls. It was our second to last game at the Goldstone ground.

https://youtu.be/DSP1-PHhn50

This game has had its own recent thread on NSC so for more nostalgia see http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?295972-Brighton-v-Wigan-1997

Hereford drew 1-1 away at Scarborough
Hartlepool lost 0-2 at home to Cambridge

The table on 12 April looked like this. (For full table go to http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-three/1996-1997/table/1997-04-12)

Next game was to be away at Cambridge on the 19 April. We were beginning to hope that we might catch Hartlepool...

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
What is easily forgotten is that the ONLY reason we finished the season above Hereford is that we scored more goals than they did. If the tie-breaker had been Goal Difference (like it is now), we would have been the team that was relegated.
Indeed.

And was this not the ONLY season they changed that rule for?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Just brings back memories of taking my 7 and 8 year old boys to the Barnet ( last game under lights at the goldstone)and Wigan games as I thought it would be their only chance to see us play in the League as we were doomed as it seemed at the time .
20 years later and we still all go together and look how far we've come

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
The pitch invasions were the difference, without them the wankers at the FA would have quietly ignored us and what was going on. To their shame the petitions and marches while important didn't move the FA at all, the threat to their competitions and the effect the coverage would have on their sponsors did IMO at least.

I got on the pitch several times that season and I certainly feel no shame in having done so...

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Well worth a watch if not seen before , around the 50 minute mark , if ever there was a advertising board that spoke the truth .

[yt]TzYdoF5cIkg[/yt]

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
On April 8 1997 the division 3 table looked like this. We were 5 points adrift with 4 games to play. Our last game had been a 1-0 loss to Scunthorpe on 5 April. Who thinks we had a realistic chance

That game at Scunthorpe was the first away game that I took my son to. He was forever hooked. Spent most of the game hurling abuse at a certain part of the stand to our left. After the game really thought that was it, we were doomed, until fast forward a few weeks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Stayed up by virtue of scoring THREE more goals than Hereford, over the season.

Fans United was so very important, in many ways, but not least the FIVE goals racked up...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here