Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time Wasting

Dunk

Jul 27, 2011
Lewes
Possible solutions include:

American-style clock stopping when the ball is out of play.
No points for a 0 v 0 draw.
Booking the captain if a team time-waste.
Tasering.
Getting everyone to be more sporting.

That's all I can think of

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Doncaster were time wasting from 60 mins. The chances of us scoring were high too, so they're effectively wasting their own time to score themselves.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Actually I think the referee was right on top of this yesterday from the word go. Their left back, Husbands, was the most obvious about it and the referee gave him a stern warning which cut the throw-in time taken in half immediately.

I thought the referee had a very good game, come to think of it.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
With minutes left, totally (albeit the Albion are possibly the worst time wasters in the history of the art) but teams like Bournemouth, Donny etc come here and do it from the 50th minute. Embarrassing.

Not as bad as milwall this season timewasting from the 1st minute

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Actually I think the referee was right on top of this yesterday from the word go. Their left back, Husbands, was the most obvious about it and the referee gave him a stern warning which cut the throw-in time taken in half immediately.

I thought the referee had a very good game, come to think of it.

I couldn't see how he could only add 1 min injury time first half when their guy was down for at least 5 mins and everyone was having drinks etc

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
When you're 1-0 up with 5/10 minutes to go, I understand time wasting but when it's 0-0 and you're time wasting in the 60th minute that is just embarrassing!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I couldn't see how he could only add 1 min injury time first half when their guy was down for at least 5 mins and everyone was having drinks etc

I forgot about this, and the referee should've added a few more minutes accordingly. As it is, I'm happy he didn't, as we were under some pressure at the end of the first half and couldn't get out of our half.

Incidentally, their player being down getting treatment wasn't time-wasting as he was substituted shortly after with an ankle injury.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I forgot about this, and the referee should've added a few more minutes accordingly. As it is, I'm happy he didn't, as we were under some pressure at the end of the first half and couldn't get out of our half.

Incidentally, their player being down getting treatment wasn't time-wasting as he was substituted shortly after with an ankle injury.

He may not have been time wasting but what annoys me is players getting treatment on the pitch. Obviously if serious like a leg break then that's fully justified. The rules state no treatment to be received but it is now commonplace, and used often as a way of stopping the opposition's momentum.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Personally thought the ref had a poor game. Two fouls in the first 10 minutes by Doncaster both warranted a booking but he chose just to have a chat. Husband was the first and he was later booked for a foul on Rodriguez which would then have been a sending off. As for the time wasting, players make refs look like mugs. The refs will always say that it doesn't matter as they add it on at the end, which the clearly don't because the amount of time added on is guess work. How many times do we see a goalkeeper time waste for most of the game and then only get a booking in the last 5 minutes when their tactics, on occasion, have been successful!!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
It is frustrating. But I'd want us to do it at 1-0 up with seconds left. You can't have it both ways.

I agree - frustrating but also acceptable while protecting a lead with only seconds to go.

A really horrible example was at Derby a few weeks back when they took the lead with about 25 minutes to go and immediately started blatant time wasting - even before we could kick off after their goal both Martin and Bamford couldn't have got back to half way line any slower. The Ref indulged them and so Derby just carried on, so frustrating. Their players made a big thing crowding the Ref even after we were given straightforward free kicks, so by the time the Ref had made each Derby player in turn move back ten yards the whole momentum of the game died. Even the ball boys sat on their hands as if it was pre-ordained by McLaren to waste as much time as possible when the ball went into touch.

Yet they were the home side - and fighting for an automatic promotion place, but preferred to waste time rather than go for a 2nd goal and give a decent home crowd their money's worth. Disgracefully cynical.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I agree - frustrating but also acceptable while protecting a lead with only seconds to go.

A really horrible example was at Derby a few weeks back when they took the lead with about 25 minutes to go and immediately started blatant time wasting - even before we could kick off after their goal both Martin and Bamford couldn't have got back to half way line any slower. The Ref indulged them and so Derby just carried on, so frustrating. Their players made a big thing crowding the Ref even after we were given straightforward free kicks, so by the time the Ref had made each Derby player in turn move back ten yards the whole momentum of the game died. Even the ball boys sat on their hands as if it was pre-ordained by McLaren to waste as much time as possible when the ball went into touch.

Yet they were the home side - and fighting for an automatic promotion place, but preferred to waste time rather than go for a 2nd goal and give a decent home crowd their money's worth. Disgracefully cynical.

Really?!? Odd. But you're happy with Brighton's park the bus approach from minute 1?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Found the time wasting quite funny, they were making no attempt to hide it and the ref really didn't seem interested. On another note will their 17 ever walk again, he was a very brave solider to carry on until half time

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Really?!? Odd. But you're happy with Brighton's park the bus approach from minute 1?

If you are referring like I was to the game at Derby I don't recall us parking the bus, and certainly nowhere as blatantly as some other teams I've seen this season. OK it was typical Oscar line up with only Ulloa up front and maybe not as adventurous as we would like but 1st half we had the best chances and only a brilliant save from an Orlandi header stopped us taking an early lead. Having been to many away games this season we certainly haven't parked the bus and in many had the upper hand first half but failed to take chances. Only the draw at Burnley sounded like a rearguard action.

Derby was another of those games when we rued not taking early chances and Derby nicked the winner. Oscar then threw on all three subs and we had a go but were stifled by Derby parking their bus and indulging in loads of timewasting. Many on here thought we were a tad unlucky not to get a point which would have an ok result given the run of form Derby had been in.

Yesterday Oscar chose a more adventurous line up and we got 3 points. Although there are mixed reviews about the game on here I don't think we can be accused of being that negative and we are certainly not seen as time wasters. Oscar's style is more direct than Gus's was with his 'possession at all costs' approach. I'll reserve judgement when he has a fully fit squad to select from and when we start to get less intervention by the woodwork and few less pedantic Refs. Ulloa just had two 'goals' disallowed in 6 days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is so frustrating when a team nicks one against the run of play, then trying to time waste for the whole second half. :moo:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Unless United, City, Arsenal, Spurs etc sign up to if, I fear it’ll never happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Thought this thread was aimed at the FA cup schedulers / organisers then realised the date of inception

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here