Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to start supporting Chris Froome

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Until his performance in the Vuelta three years ago, it looked like he was going to be out of contract, a late signing to the Sky Team that year but has demonstrated that he has the ability to win. Cut the African nonsense we can name any number of sports where such situations occur, if he wants to be British and has a UK passport, he's British. Ever listed to KP speak?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks for explaining the tactics guys. It's literally the first time I have watched a race other than the end of last year's tour and your explanations have helped. I understand there's a time trial coming up shortly; I reckon I can figure this out myself so you're all of the hook for a while :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I understand there's a time trial coming up shortly; I reckon I can figure this out myself so you're all of the hook for a while :smile:
haha that's so sweet!!

I've been looking but struggled to find some decent footage of the peloton chasing down a breakaway.
The relative speeds are staggering, and show why a breakaway only stays away when it's allowed to, not because it can.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Until his performance in the Vuelta three years ago, it looked like he was going to be out of contract, a late signing to the Sky Team that year but has demonstrated that he has the ability to win. Cut the African nonsense we can name any number of sports where such situations occur, if he wants to be British and has a UK passport, he's British. Ever listed to KP speak?

there is a bit of murmuring around whether or not he is actually clean - especially after today's decimation

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
there is a bit of murmuring around whether or not he is actually clean - especially after today's decimation
Journo's spent the last 10 years printing the stories without the headlines.
Now they are printing the headlines without the story.

If they get screwed over again by Le Tour, they are probably looking for another job.

The previous generation trained through a needle, and are now getting found out.

Team Sky have dragged cycling into the 21st century, and are predominately chasing down young riders, and the notoriously clean French riders.
Somebody will have doped, this tour, that's just a fact of life.

But Sky have a working plan, they've stuck their plan and it's worked, but journo's still have to be surprised by it.

Isn't this just an attempt by rivals to get Sky to be a bit more forthcoming about their "scientific" approach to preparing their team for big races? "Tell us what you are up to, or we'll mutter about dodgy goings on".

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Froome is undoubtedly a great athlete, but I can't be alone in finding him hard to warm to. It's not his fault, but he doesn't quite have the charisma of other big name riders, which may go some way towards explaining the British public's general indifference towards the Tour this year. Granted, interest is still much higher than it has been, but I can't see quite the acclaim for Froome if he wins it. He just seems a bit cold, or robotic, if you will. I'm sure he's a nice guy and there's no reason he should be cracking jokes and juggling balls while he's interviewed, but...

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Froome is undoubtedly a great athlete, but I can't be alone in finding him hard to warm to. It's not his fault, but he doesn't quite have the charisma of other big name riders, which may go some way towards explaining the British public's general indifference towards the Tour this year. Granted, interest is still much higher than it has been, but I can't see quite the acclaim for Froome if he wins it. He just seems a bit cold, or robotic, if you will. I'm sure he's a nice guy and there's no reason he should be cracking jokes and juggling balls while he's interviewed, but...

We've been spoilt with Wiggo and Cav. Froome is much more shy, not a natural in the limelight, and coming so soon after the success of one of our most charismatic sportsmen ever he was always going to suffer by comparison. But he is the real deal, and when he wins tour after tour people will warm to him.

It's a bit like how Murray has been perceived, really.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

I know what you mean. He isn't a favourite rider of mine, but he suffers from riding at this moment in history. It's no longer a surprise that Britain are good at cycling. In the last 5 years the country has held all the important jerseys in the Grand Tours at some point, won the Tour, Worlds(!!) and Points Jerseys in all 3 Grand Tours. Our Track team were unbeatable in London. This is something we do VERY well. It's unfairly expected that Froome's Maillot Jaune elect.

He has been described as looking like a robot pushing a shopping trolley in style too...

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I may be in a minority but starting to think Froome is a very serious notch up from Wiggo - he had to be held back last year from properly testing Wiggo at crucial parts of the race and definitely had plenty in reserve hence the barbed comments that he could have challenged for yellow if allowed to - watching it last year it was in fairness clear SKY's sole aim was to get Wiggo over the line at any cost in team morale - this year Froome's doing it a lot more on his own whereas last year was a team effort to get Wiggo over the line so putting aside personalities which don't interest me anyway, is Froome the much better rider here both in natural talent and technical skills?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Isn't this just an attempt by rivals to get Sky to be a bit more forthcoming about their "scientific" approach to preparing their team for big races? "Tell us what you are up to, or we'll mutter about dodgy goings on".

There will always be murmurings about pro cyclists. There has always been doping in the sport, but there is no way a cyclist can answer the question "how are you doing so well - is doping involved?" without giving the exact same answers that convicted dopers have always given - "I train hard, eat properly, best team, best kit, etc". I'd like the next clean rider asked the same question to answer with a "what the f@(k do you expect me to say? - There's no answer that will be accepted, and both clean and doped riders are always going to say the same thing" type of answer.

More to read here: http://www.sportsscientists.com/2013/07/tour-rest-day-pondering-unanswerables.html

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
I may be in a minority but starting to think Froome is a very serious notch up from Wiggo - he had to be held back last year from properly testing Wiggo at crucial parts of the race and definitely had plenty in reserve hence the barbed comments that he could have challenged for yellow if allowed to - watching it last year it was in fairness clear SKY's sole aim was to get Wiggo over the line at any cost in team morale - this year Froome's doing it a lot more on his own whereas last year was a team effort to get Wiggo over the line so putting aside personalities which don't interest me anyway, is Froome the much better rider here both in natural talent and technical skills?

Tell that to Peter Kennaugh, Richie Porte, etc! Pro road racing is a team sport - your 'best' rider on one stage won't be your best on another, but if you can get your team leader (the rider with the best overall chance) to the finish in front then the TEAM wins, even though the individual is credited with the victory. Why else would domestiques turn themselves inside out for someone else?

Last year the course suited Wigging better than Froome - 2 long, flat Individual Time Trials, nothing ridiculous in the mountains. This year it suits Froome - more mountains, fewer TT kms.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

It doesn't really matter what you think. He said himself he was disappointed not to be the first African to wear the yellow jersey. He said it with the accent where he has a South African lilt to it.

It's good for the sport he identifies as an African. Gives other African kids a role model to look up to in the sport.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here