Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to scrap the League Cup?

Time to scrap the League Cup ???

• Total voters

bigcabboy

Nov 7, 2011
Time for re vamp most of clubs in top divisions put out weakened teams hence now getting stranger results ie bradford getting to the final scrapping it cud make the FA cup more special again

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's never been a popular competition (never mind fielding weakened teams, top clubs used to decline to take part in the first few seasons), but if I had to list my top five Brighton games two of them would be League Cup games (the home matches against Ipswich and Derby in the 76/77 season). Having said that not even I can muster much enthusiasm nowadays for the early rounds (especially against lower-league opposition) and I knew we'd play a weakened team. I wish we would take it seriously as it is our best chance to win a trophy and qualify for Europe, but hey ho.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
start with Kuz,Brid & Ulloa

get the tie done,then take them off

not the other way round

always play your strongest side,out of respect to the fans

this is what happens when you don't

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Haha this line is always trotted out. None of those clubs gave a toss about it until they went deep into the competition. Gates are laughably small until the quarter final stages.

Personally I'd ditch it, if only because I don't see why we don't fall in line with other leagues - one cup competition, one league competition. Happy for the lower league competition to continue though.

Said the same earlier, dont really give it much attention till the 1/4's

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Let's just scrap every competition we can't win.

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
I just detest the modern principle of playing weak teams in the FA Cup or the League Cup. We could have played our best team last night - won the game and built confidence for the tests ahead. In a couple of years the Europa League winners will qualify for the Champions League - and the League Cup winners go into the Europa League. Ambition should be everything for teams at our level - in every competition - and by the way you'd fill a few more gaps in the budget with home games against Premier League clubs in this competition. Stop disrespecting competitions and the debate is rendered meaningless. The League Cup is one of Brighton's winnable competitions - treat it that way.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I just detest the modern principle of playing weak teams in the FA Cup or the League Cup. We could have played our best team last night - won the game and built confidence for the tests ahead. In a couple of years the Europa League winners will qualify for the Champions League - and the League Cup winners go into the Europa League. Ambition should be everything for teams at our level - in every competition - and by the way you'd fill a few more gaps in the budget with home games against Premier League clubs in this competition. Stop disrespecting competitions and the debate is rendered meaningless. The League Cup is one of Brighton's winnable competitions - treat it that way.

Great post. Amazing that we rest our key players when the season is only a game old, and as a consequence, end up playing 30 extra minutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Great post. Amazing that we rest our key players when the season is only a game old, and as a consequence, end up playing 30 extra minutes.

Hindsight.

Oscar has been here 5 mins, this seemed a good game to take a look at fringe players in a competitive match to see how they shape up. Without the sending off it would quite possibly have been a good exercise.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I don't agree entirely in that it's the attitude of the players that usually causes these defeats, not the team that is selected. The team that started on Tuesday was perfectly capable of winning.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't agree entirely in that it's the attitude of the players that usually causes these defeats, not the team that is selected. The team that started on Tuesday was perfectly capable of winning.

Agreed. The starting 11 from Tuesday night was a stronger side than the team that we walked the League One title with. The idea that those players are not good enough to beat a League Two team is ridiculous.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Just because we were crap, and deserved to lose to a newly promoted conference team while only 8k bothered to turn up dosen't mean we have to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here