Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to scrap the League Cup?

Time to scrap the League Cup ???

• Total voters

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Derby County was the biggest attendance I ever experienced at the Goldstone 33,601

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
No.Just because we were embarrassed by a small club.Brighton would of begged for bigger opposition in this cup years ago ...its for the smaller clubs not for those sucking on the pl penis.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It is time to get rid of it. Replace it with a new competition for L1 and L2 clubs to play against non league clubs for the chance to win a trophy.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pathetic poll.

Speak to Swansea, Bradford, Cardiff, Birmingham fans etc and ask if they would want to scrap the League Cup - it would be an overwhelming NO.

Just because we always do shit in it, doesn't mean it should be scrapped :shrug:
Haha this line is always trotted out. None of those clubs gave a toss about it until they went deep into the competition. Gates are laughably small until the quarter final stages.

Personally I'd ditch it, if only because I don't see why we don't fall in line with other leagues - one cup competition, one league competition. Happy for the lower league competition to continue though.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
Last night gave Newport a game they will remember as fondly as I remember us winning against WBA (in what I think was the same competition back then) even all these years later.

Suggesting scrapping our participation in a cup that brings results like last night for lower league clubs smacks a bit of billy big bollocks can't be arsed with playing minnows to me.

Of course it shouldn't be scrapped. 'Kin 'ell a Manchester United attitude from Brighton fans :rolleyes:

Agree.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I quite like it. It gives you the chance to either test yourself against a higher level club and maybe win some glory, or to rest some regulars and give some fringe players 90 mins of competitive football. Would Ince or JFC have started if yesterday had been a league game? Plus it gave El Abd and Lua Lua two very useful squad players the chance to get some minutes under their belt and helped Agustien and spansh dave to get closer to full match fitness.

As long as clubs charge reduced ticket prices to reflect the relative lack of competitive priority
everyone treats the early rounds with then I don't have a problem with it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
League Cup is a great competition, seen some magical nights under the floodlights and love the format of the two legged semi's which are usually one of the highlights of the sporting year alongside the showpiece Wembley final.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Speak to Swansea, Bradford, Cardiff, Birmingham fans etc and ask if they would want to scrap the League Cup - it would be an overwhelming NO.

speak to them at the start of those seasons, you think you'd have the same responce? no one cares about the League Cup until the last couple of rounds. Premiership and Championship clubs use the first couple of rounds to give the reserves a trial. its basically treated as a friendly until about the quaters, or semis for some teams.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
We need as many games as possible at the moment for Oscar to learn about what players should be doing differently, and last night was a good chance to give Agustien a good run out, and blood Ince, JFC and Maksi. We had some good performances in there and Ince and Maski showed some good signs.

We had the chances to win, even when we were down to 10.

All in all the transition starts with assesing the squad and showing them where he wants them to improve on an individual and team basis.

This will take at least 10 games and a few more players before the Oscar effect will start kicking in. Patience is key whether we win, lose or draw.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Change third and fourth in the Prem to Europa league spots and make the prize for the two cups the trophy and a champions league spot.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Sorry about this, but in the early 60's (63/64) when the LC had just started (and I think some clubs opted out) we got a home draw against Portsmouth who were a division or two above us( them old div 2,us old div4). They opted to play some reserves, and this caused a bit of a stink and threats of punishments from the Football League.

Portsmouth won 5 - 1 in front of 5,550 @ the Goldstone.

The LC has never really been that popular, but sometimes it is a source of revenue to smaller clubs, and sometimes not such small clubs. When Albion lose in it (more often than not) it's rubbish and should be scrapped. When the Albion win we all wait anxiously to see if we've got Arsenal or Crewe away.And it's not rubbish when we get a good draw.

On the bright side, as an impoverished collector of Albion programmes, I've only needed one for each of the last couple of seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To all of those who voted scrap the League Cup.

Did you feel this way when we drew Man City at Withdean...and beat them???

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Palace fans will love this, we get knocked out by minnows then call for the competition to be scrapped.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here