Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to go large on Sunderland to be relegated...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The actually have a bizarre squad when you look at it. A few little gems who would instantly fit into the Poyet mould though

Gardner and Larsson in midfield. Cattermole playing the Bridcutt role.

Borini up top behind a Fletcher or Wickham would be a nice balance.

If you can get Johnson delivering anywhere near his potential then they will be absolutely fine. I can see Gus immediately adressing the defence in January if he gets the job. A solid number 1 keeper and commanding centre backs are what they are massivly missing. Someone like Micah Richards would suit them. Bringing the ball out of defence n all.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
pdc started well with a couple of wins but then got tonked 6-1 by Villa and hasn't won since. Interestingly, in the matches since then 9 out of the 14 they've conceded have been in the final quarter of the match. This would suggest that either PDC couldn't make good substitutions or the players weren't fit, or both. However, they have been competitive well beyond half- time, whereas Palace look vulnerable from the word go.

It wil be interesting to see if a manager who's side couldn't win from behind for two whole years can get his new team to fight. Whatever happens, the quality in the Prem means Sunderland will go behind more often than they take the lead.

The bottom line is I think Gus will keep them up, but it won't be easy.

I am very much with this. Playing premiership quality teams week after week and some with far superior players will make for a very testing time. How the players/new management team/top club brass gel together after recent upheavals will be interesting.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He'd keep them up, no trouble. they've plenty of good players, who will buckle down, now they've won their little battle with PDC.
This - most of the problem with PDC as far as I can see was his relationship with the team. Now that this is no longer an issue I reckon they'll improve, if not dramatically, then at least er..something that's a bit less than dramatically.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Maybe hold off till Sunderland get a win, then go large as will no doubt improve considerably. That said I wish Gus all the best, but I still don't think he's cut it...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Not a chance - Gus will keep them up

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
How many changes can be made to a nominated 25 player squad before the end of the year? If changes can't be made until then, I can't see Sunderland having the players to suit Poyet's preferred style, when they're playing the top sides- remember Liverpool away? Sadly, I think they have replaced one over- inflated ego with one nearly as large. A few defeats and the Mackems will soon turn against him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
None of us really has a clue how he'll do yet. My gut instinct is he'll do fine and get Sunderland out of the drop zone. Unproven at this level perhaps but his footballing philosophy is an excellent one. He might find he has strikers who can actually put the ball in the net too, which will make his possession football all the more effective. We'll see whether he needs the plan b some of us moaned about with better quality players to coach.

On the other hand it could be an absolute disaster if he encounters player power like Di Canio did. How Gus deals with big egos is going to be another interesting facet of his new job.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yup - he has a reported £30m war chest, I've backed Sunderland to finish top half of the table at 12/1

A nice war chest if true, but half the season will be over before he is able to spend any of it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I wonder if Wurzel is having a "bad hair day" today ? :lol:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How many changes can be made to a nominated 25 player squad before the end of the year? If changes can't be made until then, I can't see Sunderland having the players to suit Poyet's preferred style, when they're playing the top sides- remember Liverpool away? Sadly, I think they have replaced one over- inflated ego with one nearly as large. A few defeats and the Mackems will soon turn against him.

None until January.

Under 21s don't count towards the 25, but to sign anyone they would have to be a free agent.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Good idea, if you want to lose a load of money. Not a chance in hell of them going down if they get him.

Such blind faith. I hope it doesn't prove to be misplaced. :smile:

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Yup - he has a reported £30m war chest, I've backed Sunderland to finish top half of the table at 12/1

Most managers with £30M to spend would keep Sunderland up. Really good managers achieve a lot on a small budget.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

You may as well light your fire with £50 notes.
18 points from their last 25 PL matches.
They now need to be at least the 8th highest points scorers the rest of the season to finish top half.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
They're doomed!

- images-1.jpeg

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
...but now they have Gus. Don't you remember what he did with our League One relegation fodder.

His first fixture is Swansea away - I predict it will look like a completely different Sunderland side and he'll get a result, reminiscent of his amazing debut for us.

& the next 3 at home?

I fancy Gus to keep them up - just. Palace are a certain to finish bottom.

Tough first 4 home games for him - Newcastle, Man City ,Chelsea & Spurs

theboybilly

If the summer transfer window was still open I think Poyet might have had a slim chance of avoiding relegation. As it is he'll have to wait until January and then still have to get his new players to gel. For me, Sunderland will go down with Palace and both will struggle to get 25 points each. I think Stoke or Fulham will occupy the final relegation berth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here