Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time of fear?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It all dates back to believing the ridiculous predictions made in March. Instead of following the original plan of herd immunity they wet the bed and imposed the lockdown.

View attachment 127847

What I don’t get is why the government doubled down on its mistakes and continues to do so.

Hey,

So you are gunna lol

I know you have lost your job and a missed cancer appointment has cost you a loved one

But we made a whoopsie

Tee hee

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I think it's completely irrelevant to the OP's post or the subject being discussed.

This thread is about protesting the lockdown. I was at the London protest. I was there because Covid should’ve been treated as a flu epidemic and not caused us to go into a disastrous recession and curtailed our freedoms.

The whole point of the lockdown was, we were told, to flatten the curve. Well, how flat does it need to be?

C9B2CB6F-8A1A-4CF0-BD1C-37C92B1FD53D.png

larus

It all dates back to believing the ridiculous predictions made in March. Instead of following the original plan of herd immunity they wet the bed and imposed the lockdown.

View attachment 127847

What I don’t get is why the government doubled down on its mistakes and continues to do so.

Tw@t Ferguson was the 'scientist' who predicted 250,000 or 500,000 deaths from BSE. Actual - circa 150.

His modelling has been proven to be garbage, yet he's been instrumental in the lockdown policies of lots of governments. Incredible.

As a software developer, I will happily tell you that if the parameters used in models are wrong, the output will be wrong. Just look at the climate models - they always overestimate warming. But, to so many outside of IT, if the computer says something, it must be right. :ffsparr:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
It’s common sense to double check, surely? That’s not hindsight it wasn’t even peer reviewed and from someone who has at least 3 high profile cases of failure.

Maybe if the Gov spent more time shielding the at risk and not advising to put the sick back into homes the death rate wouldn’t have Been so high?

Sweden stopped mass gatherings, which is what most of us have said was the way - so I’ve not said anything about football grounds being shut.

I am struggling to see how anyone could 100% check an estimate for an unprecedented event. We are in the real world where there there were few absolute facts to base an estimate on. Sometimes in life you have to make a decision based on the evidence at hand which might not be complete.

To bring conspiracy theories is massively disingenuous and outright dangerous.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

View attachment 127847

you understandthat people in Sweden did take action and change behaviour, without government mandate, making the comparision invalid.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Which is why I haven't focussed on it. You asked me about it. I never brought it up.

Do you have any thoughts on the annual UK flu season?

We have a vaccine for those at high risk from influenza. At the start of this we did not even know who was at high risk from covid.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I take it you went out when the flu killed 28,000 a few years ago? Or didn’t you want everyone locked up then?

You might of picked flu up and passed it onto a woman you met in a shop, who then passed it onto her daughter, who then passed it onto her mother, who then passed it onto her friend, who then passed it onto her 80 year old mum in hospital who then died.

You murderer! You didn’t even want a lockdown, you callous monster.

Anyone ever seen The Butterfly Effect?

There are many reasons why more people have died than should have done, mainly to do with elderly people in care homes, which is an absolute disgrace. There is no evidence that says the lockdown has saved anyone, but, as has been shown, it has and will cause more problems than Covid ever will.

I know this is hard to take, but the government messed up massively. They were fooled.

So you are saying we should have locked everyone up when 28,000 people died but not when 40,000 people died WITH restrictions in place? Nice logic you have there.

Someone told you that you can’t do something and you lack the emotional maturity to deal with it. Grow up and leave the important decisions to the adults.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
you understandthat people in Sweden did take action and change behaviour, without government mandate, making the comparision invalid.

Ferguson prediction was 90k without lockdown from memory - not just taking action

I can’t fully recall how it went - so happy to be corrected on this

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ferguson prediction was 90k without lockdown from memory - not just taking action

I can’t fully recall how it went - so happy to be corrected on this

Ferguson's estimates generally are to be taken with a large bag of salt, the model is inconsistent when run multiple times (so say data scientist colleges). however the model in principle was not challenged as problematic, and we'll never know how far out it was because behaviours changed. theres a balance between acknowleding a lot of mistakes have and are being made, while accepting there was a very real and significant threat back in the spring. we know more now, we shouldnt cast that knowledge back 6 months and say the decisions were all wrong.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
This isn’t a flu, which I believe was one of the issues with the modelling?

No - it is not a flu virus - it is a highly infectious severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-COVID-2) - it is also a novel virus which means that, while scientists and medical staff are learning all the time, we still know very little about the virus.

There were many issues with the modelling - but comparisons with the Spanish flu was not one of them.

The biggest problem in Britain (and Ireland) was that the government were slow to act because they wanted to keep the economy open and as a result thousands of people lost their lives unnecessarily. It should be noted that many of the leading countries in terms of deaths (per capita) are those countries with right-wing (far-right) populist governments - USA, Brazil, UK and India - who made a shambolic approach to tackling the outbreak.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Hey,

So you are gunna lol

I know you have lost your job and a missed cancer appointment has cost you a loved one

But we made a whoopsie

Tee hee

Hey, but we Introduced lockdown too late, moved patients out of NHS beds, and let Covid run riot through old people’s homes, but hey that’s not a problem as they were all old and going to die soon anyway, and just think of the money it has saved.

Then there’s the other 40,000 vulnerable people who have died, that’s ok though, they were obese, had diabetes and other conditions they should have controlled themselves - ok, some had dementia, but that will be a relief for their families, as they won’t have years of visiting an ever ghost like relative. Oh, and think of all the disability benefits that have been saved from those parasitic scroungers!

Don’t worry about the 2 million that have been shielding, they will soon get whittled away - survival of the fitness (herd immunity), don’t you know!

Carry on - all is good - Pandemic, what ****ing pandemic?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Hey, but we Introduced lockdown too late, moved patients out of NHS beds, and let Covid run riot through old people’s homes, but hey that’s not a problem as they were all old and going to die soon anyway, and just think of the money it has saved.

Then there’s the other 40,000 vulnerable people who have died, that’s ok though, they were obese, had diabetes and other conditions they should have controlled themselves - ok, some had dementia, but that will be a relief for their families, as they won’t have years of visiting an ever ghost like relative. Oh, and think of all the disability benefits that have been saved from those parasitic scroungers!

Don’t worry about the 2 million that have been shielding, they will soon get whittled away - survival of the fitness (herd immunity), don’t you know!

But al least you can be grateful you're not Brazillian......

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

See that’s the issue , no ones said throw the at risk under the bus have they?

They have said shield nor has anyone said the care home wasn’t a cluster ****.

Let’s see how well they are treated when there is less money for care and the NHS?

In a care home? Don’t worry - I’m sure your family who have lost jobs will be able to sell their house to pay for the care!!!

But again, just proves the point unless it’s a covid death - you just don’t matter do you - missed a cancer check up? So what? Who cares.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
See that’s the issue , no ones said throw the at risk under the bus have they?

They have said shield nor has anyone said the care home wasn’t a cluster ****.

Let’s see how well they are treated when there is less money for care and the NHS?

In a care home? Don’t worry - I’m sure your family who have lost jobs will be able to sell their house to pay for the care!!!

But again, just proves the point unless it’s a covid death - you just don’t matter do you - missed a cancer check up? So what? Who cares.

The group/phrase “shielding” ceased to exist on August 1st. They did their bit for 15 weeks, then were, as you put it “thrown under the bus”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here