Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time of fear?

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
apart from the fascist flag, maybe they were looking the other way.

I was there and didn’t see it. Going by the photo, it was being shown outside the Canadian Embassy, which isn’t even on the square. No idea how long it was up for and if I’d seen it I’d have to have been told what it signified. Unlike the swastika or hammer & sickle, it’s hardly a universally known symbol. I only found out what it was from Twitter this morning.

But the idea that this crowd was mostly far right is laughable. Most looked like the sort that’d march for Extinction Rebellion or - 20 years ago - trying to stop the Newberry Bypass.

All sorts of flags get waved at demos. It doesn’t mean that they reflect the options of everyone there.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Whenever I read any of your posts, you have this view of self-righteousness which is associated with the left. You, from what I’ve seen, throw insults around (see your quoted post), just because people DARE to have a different opinion to you.

As a conservative, I believe in Free Education, Free NHS, well funded police, defence, etc. I believe in the welfare state to support those who fall on hard times. I don’t however think that people should expect handouts and contribute nothing.

In regards the NHS, I want the best service at point of delivery. However, if this happened to be (gasp) a private hospital, the left would throw accusations of destroying/privatising the NHS. I want the best, most effective NHS for the HUGE sums of money. It’s been proven that it can’t cope as we had to lock down to protect the NHS. Strange, I thought the NHS was there to protect us! In my (Lucidly limited) dealings with the NHS I’ve found it inefficient and wasteful. Lots of people seem to stand around just chatting too.

On the other side, I despise bosses/corporations who abuse power/employees. The banks are prime examples of this. Capitalism is not perfect, but IMO, it is the best we currently have. However, the capitalism we are experiencing now is corrupted, as firms which fail should go bust and not be supported (which is what we have been experiencing for the last 12 odd years with QE). We don’t have true capitalism now, and Covid is exacerbating the problem with all of these bail-outs and ‘funny’ money.

I have no kind words for anyone who associates themselves with the BUF. I’m not even going to pretend I do.

As for my supposed ‘self-righteousness’, perhaps I am, perhaps not, but still, I don’t see why you’re getting so upset over being asked to provide a source, which you have done, so why are you continuing to try and pick a fight? :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
One flag [emoji23] out of thousands of attendees. I wouldn’t be surprised if 99% of people there didn’t see it. But let’s use that to discredit the whole event. Standard media manipulation tactics. I see you like to take your media fed medicine like a good boy.

you made a statement, easily refuted. dont need the media to discredit the event, the presence of David Icke suffices. i read the opinons of their fellow travellers.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
"Most of"

What do you think about New Zealand, the US and Brazil?

New Zealand’s response is horrifying.

The US seemed to vary from state to state. New York was pretty bad, I understand.

Brazil, no idea. I haven’t really looked into it.

I’ve always thought we’d have been better off following Sweden’s lead except for their disastrous idea of sending Covid patients to old people’s homes (which we also did and I can’t think of any good reason why this happened).

We should also be using hydroxychloroquine and zinc to treat the worst affected. Government advice to the general populace would be to take Vitamin D, C, and zinc tablets to build immunity. Also to eat healthily and exercise. Vitamin D deficiency in particular is a big cause of disease and more should be done to promote awareness of that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was there and didn’t see it. Going by the photo, it was being shown outside the Canadian Embassy, which isn’t even on the square

the Candian high commission is on the western side of the square.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
Code:
you made a statement, easily refuted. dont need the media to discredit the event, the presence of David Icke suffices. i read the opinons of their fellow travellers.

Icke’s appearance was a surprise and for me an unpleasant one. The original plan was for him and the 5G set to have their rally in Parliament Square. Pity that didn’t happen.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Government advice to the general populace would be to take Vitamin D, C, and zinc tablets to build immunity. Also to eat healthily and exercise. Vitamin D deficiency in particular is a big cause of disease and more should be done to promote awareness of that.

Exactly. This is how you beat a virus. Instead we have a policy leading to people staying at home depriving vitamin d from sunlight and normal levels of exercise for most, then adding a double whammy of breathing carbon dioxide through mask wearing. Add in the high increase in alcohol consumption and our policy is literally making people’s immune systems as bad as they could possibly be. Insanity.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Covid-19 was in all likelihood a virus that started out in bats and made the leap over to humans via a wet market in China. Now there are many valid reasons for closing wet markets down for reasons such as this (and animal welfare) but it was a freak of nature helped along buy some incompetence from humanity.

Long story short but Boris Johnson was being shown projections of 500,000 people dying in the UK if he did nothing. Regular readers will be aware I am not his biggest fan but he did have to do something and at the time a full lockdown was the way forward and almost universally agreed with, indeed it could have been done a week or two earlier. As the situation develops and new knowledge learnt this has been loosened to the situation we re in now and will no doubt continue.

I probably agree with the general direction of decision making while disagreeing with some of the details and take the point there are inconsistencies like people having to sit apart in the office then can sit next to each other in the pub after work. I would agree that some of the PPE deals and Dominic Cummings going to the other end of the country are extremely dodgy and need looking into.

My point is I can't really criticise anyone in power for having an abundance of caution and in all likelihood mistakes will be made and inconsistencies happen. That isn't a conspiracy, it is human nature and the way the world works, especially with something that there isn't a precedence for and a rulebook to follow.

People, unfortunately necessarily, where isolated from their friends and families. This was always going to make people feel isolated and suspicious. Into this pop up conspiracy theorists offering the alternative view that this is largely a man made problem and not an unfortunate series of events which had massive implications globally.

Why? Because the world is currently a scarier place than normal and it is easier mentally to blame someone or a group of people for your and the world's problem which can be a target for your fears and anxieties rather than a microscopic virus we currently have limited methods of battling at the moment until a Vaccine comes along - which might I add will no doubt be protested against by much the same people.

The world is a complex place and we should always be suspicious of people offering simple answers.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
the Candian high commission is on the western side of the square.

Fair enough. But the point stands that while it would’ve been visible to the demo for however long it was there, I doubt many noticed - the stage was just in front of Nelson’s Column and so the flag was to the far right (*ahem*) of where people were focussing their attention. And as I said, no many people would know what it was anyway? When you’re in amongst a crowd of thousands with banners and placards everywhere, you can’t always see what’s happening on the peripheries.

This rally really wasn’t a fascist demo. The word fascist and Nazi were used pejoratively (and gratuitously in my opinion) on many occasions, so it’d be odd if it were.

The whole thing is available as a video online if people want to hear what was said.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes who 5 months ago was saying you didnt need to.

And people are believing these idiots and following them blindly. It’s a CON.

https://youtu.be/oLNBw7XCM4Q

What he says is a bit more nuanced than that isn't it?

You posted previously "Rubbish. The WHO and Dr Fauci are all on record saying masks don’t make any difference."

He didn't say that at all.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
What he says is a bit more nuanced than that isn't it?

You posted previously "Rubbish. The WHO and Dr Fauci are all on record saying masks don’t make any difference."

He didn't say that at all.

Ok he’s saying there’s no need to wear one and they are really effective. Very similar.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
New Zealand’s response is horrifying.

The US seemed to vary from state to state. New York was pretty bad, I understand.

Brazil, no idea. I haven’t really looked into it.

So New Zealand with a "horrifying" response have had 1729 total cases and 22 deaths. They are coming to the end of their winter (very little vitamin D available in that time) and had full social interaction including 30,000 crowds at rugby games for most of their winter.

Now, it's odd you haven't looked into Brazil because Bolsenaro has been practicing EXACTLY what that demo yesterday was asking for (no real surprise as he's another crypto fascist). You'd think, as you've done so much research into what you think is wrong, that you'd have looked into it a bit, but you've done absolutely none into what you think is right.

The net result? Brazil has had around 3.5 million cases and circa 120,000 deaths. That's around 119,978 more than New Zealand.

Do you not find death horrifying?

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Covid-19 was in all likelihood a virus that started out in bats and made the leap over to humans via a wet market in China. Now there are many valid reasons for closing wet markets down for reasons such as this (and animal welfare) but it was a freak of nature helped along buy some incompetence from humanity.

Long story short but Boris Johnson was being shown projections of 500,000 people dying in the UK if he did nothing. Regular readers will be aware I am not his biggest fan but he did have to do something and at the time a full lockdown was the way forward and almost universally agreed with, indeed it could have been done a week or two earlier. As the situation develops and new knowledge learnt this has been loosened to the situation we re in now and will no doubt continue.

I probably agree with the general direction of decision making while disagreeing with some of the details and take the point there are inconsistencies like people having to sit apart in the office then can sit next to each other in the pub after work. I would agree that some of the PPE deals and Dominic Cummings going to the other end of the country are extremely dodgy and need looking into.

My point is I can't really criticise anyone in power for having an abundance of caution and in all likelihood mistakes will be made and inconsistencies happen. That isn't a conspiracy, it is human nature and the way the world works, especially with something that there isn't a precedence for and a rulebook to follow.

People, unfortunately necessarily, where isolated from their friends and families. This was always going to make people feel isolated and suspicious. Into this pop up conspiracy theorists offering the alternative view that this is largely a man made problem and not an unfortunate series of events which had massive implications globally.

Why? Because the world is currently a scarier place than normal and it is easier mentally to blame someone or a group of people for your and the world's problem which can be a target for your fears and anxieties rather than a microscopic virus we currently have limited methods of battling at the moment until a Vaccine comes along - which might I add will no doubt be protested against by much the same people.

The world is a complex place and we should always be suspicious of people offering simple answers.

Surely if he’s shown a projection of 500k deaths he should be double and triple checking the source and how figure Was reached.

He didn’t, he blindly followed a man with a previous record of mass errors in predicting/modelling.

The model didn’t even come to the same figure with the same data

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So New Zealand with a "horrifying" response have had 1729 total cases and 22 deaths. They are coming to the end of their winter (very little vitamin D available in that time) and had full social interaction including 30,000 crowds at rugby games for most of their winter.

Now, it's odd you haven't looked into Brazil because Bolsenaro has been practicing EXACTLY what that demo yesterday was asking for (no real surprise as he's another crypto fascist). You'd think, as you've done so much research into what you think is wrong, that you'd have looked into it a bit, but you've done absolutely none into what you think is right.

The net result? Brazil has had around 3.5 million cases and circa 120,000 deaths. That's around 119,978 more than New Zealand.

Do you not find death horrifying?

Are deaths only attached to covid horrifying? Which seems to be the case now.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Are deaths only attached to covid horrifying? Which seems to be the case now.

Er, no it isn't. Any death for any reason is a little human tradgedy and potentially has profound effects on others.

My point was that [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] seems to find methods that have limited a country to 22 deaths horrifying but hasn't even looked into the 120k caused by his preferred method of dealing with things.

Bit odd that, eh?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Er, no it isn't. Any death for any reason is a little human tradgedy and potentially has profound effects on others.

My point was that [MENTION=30583]RossyG[/MENTION] seems to find methods that have limited a country to 22 deaths horrifying but hasn't even looked into the 120k caused by his preferred method of dealing with things.

Bit odd that, eh?

New Zealand are also having a back log on cancer appointments.

A lock down with min cases found is causing this.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
New Zealand are also having a back log on cancer appointments.

A lock down with min cases found is causing this.

Proof that it's Covid related? They were literally leading normal lives for most of their winter. Oh, and please do post the corresponding increases in cancer treatment experienced by Brazil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here