Time for the club to speak to the fans

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Buckley's transfer confirmed by TV and Radio and not by the club.
Still not on the Club website.
But their is a fan gallery from last nights match.
Enough said about communication....
At this rate Blackpool will have more players than us...

Why would the club make an official announcement on Buckley's departure before he has PASSED the MEDICAL ?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Following on from last weeks fans forum and the request for patience etc we have now seen another player sold and no new faces in. Granted we were told to wait until end if August but the amount of concern expressed by fans leads me to think a communication from the club would be prudent at this stage.

And say what? Well anything that would help to quell the threats of cancelling direct debits and show the fans that they are working in it.

The silent approach is correct but reaching out to fans and showing loyalty is equally as vital.

Get

A

Grip

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Got

A

Grip

Really?

You practically demand the club to make an announcement then explain that we have ALREADY been told not to judge until 1st Sept.

So no, you don't have anywhere near a grip on anything other than mild hysteria IMO

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Really?

You practically demand the club to make an announcement then explain that we have ALREADY been told not to judge until 1st Sept.

So no, you don't have anywhere near a grip on anything other than mild hysteria IMO

I say it may be prudent in order to quell the concern amongst the fans. Never demanded anything.

Calm down. It's only an opinion or idea

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I appreciate the club has to be discreet when negotiating, keeping things under wraps until the deal is signed sealed and delivered and all that. It's frustrating, but I understand the need.

However, there maybe one area where they could be more open about transfer dealings - they could be specific about deals they have tried to make and not succeeded without detriment to any ongoing or future negotiations, ie:

"The club agreed a fee of £2 million for Melchester Rovers young striker, Roy Race jnr. He visited the clubl liked what he saw and passed the medical with flying colours. However, after discussion with his agent, he decided that a man could not even afford to live on the wages we were offering, and that frankly he wasn't prepared to get out of bed for less than £20K a week."

We would then know the club was trying, and perhaps appreciate more how FFP affects things. Ultimately, the aim of FFP must be to drive down players' wages, which are simply obscene at the higher levels, so information like this, in the public domain might just start to drip feed (very slowly) through to agents and players that eventually they just aren't going to get so much money in future, and that their next contract might be smaller rather than larger.

Clearly this wouldn't work as anyone in sales knows. By alerting players to the fact you have a wage cap you are putting off a lot of potential signings before you even start. Much better to get in negotiations with someone and sell the benefits of the club over and above the weekly wage. Many a player may well be prepared to review their wage expectation if they were convinced of other potential benefits of joining us

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Compare ourselves to Derby, who we lost out to in the playoffs last year. They've got their main players signing new contracts for up to 4 years. Re signed Thorne who was one of their best players last year and when he got injured they got a replacement in from R madrid on loan. Maybe stability in a club like keeping mcclaren as manager has helped. Can see why players want to leave us if we can't even keep a manager

That's the same Derby who hired McClaren after sacking Nigel Clough last season, is it?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Following on from last weeks fans forum and the request for patience etc we have now seen another player sold and no new faces in. Granted we were told to wait until end if August but the amount of concern expressed by fans leads me to think a communication from the club would be prudent at this stage.

And say what? Well anything that would help to quell the threats of cancelling direct debits and show the fans that they are working in it.

The silent approach is correct but reaching out to fans and showing loyalty is equally as vital.

Wait until the end of August then, if things havent changed by then by all means slate the club. Throwing toys out of the pram and cancelling STs now is a bit stupid, Palace were pointless (literally) in August of the season where they went up.

Dan The Man

Sep 27, 2011
Mile Oak
I'm sure TB or PB will be putting out one of their calming emails this Friday around about 5pm, just to say they are still working hard, we want quality not quantity etc etc....and that's as much as we can expect.

The key date is Tues Sept 2nd after the transfer window has closed. By then we will have either 1) made decent signings that have improved the squad or 2) diddly squat. If it's 1, then we can all put down our weapons and carry on paying more-than-we-should-but-we-do for pies and pints. If it's 2, what happens then? oo er...

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Why not give them until the close of the window?

Can anyone explain to me, in the most basic of terms, why we need the entire transfer window to sign players?
I simply cannot understand, for the life of me, why it would not be advantageous on every level to get players signed-up earlier in the process.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The key date is Tues Sept 2nd after the transfer window has closed. By then we will have either 1) made decent signings that have improved the squad or 2) diddly squat. If it's 1, then we can all put down our weapons and carry on paying more-than-we-should-but-we-do for pies and pints. If it's 2, what happens then? oo er...

We look to the loan window and the choice of exciting premier league players who aren't going to make their teams' 25 man squads.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
At least with him at the helm, I believe he had a big say in incoming transfers and overall he did very well. Can someone please highlight the best signings Barber/Burke have identified and brought in?

Erm...pretty much anyone in the past couple of years - including (but not limited to) Ulloa, TK, Orlandi, Stockdale, Upson... Gus may have been a 'focal' point of the team in terms of helping sell the club to a player, but to presume that it is all him and to discredit Burke and his team is at the least disrespectul and at the moment, moronic.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
The constant reference to FFP by the club reminds me of the end of Lethal Weapon 2 (the one with Patsy Kensit). Joss Ackland waves his passport and shouts "diplomatic immunity". Then Danny Glover shoots him.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Can anyone explain to me, in the most basic of terms, why we need the entire transfer window to sign players?
I simply cannot understand, for the life of me, why it would not be advantageous on every level to get players signed-up earlier in the process.

-Signing a player early takes away their chances of signing a better deal elsewhere, so you might have to pay more to convince them to give up that chance early, whereas if you wait until late, they are aware of their realistic chances and are more willing to do a deal with us, take more of a pay cut etc.
-There are also players who may discover, now the season is under way, that they are not going to get the game time they thought they were going to get at their current club, and they may look elsewhere and suddenly become available.
-More room in your budget: if you've signed your reserve players, or players to fill out the squad to provide cover in July, they've already taken a portion of the budget. If you sign them early you may pay more because you think you need a better quality than you would have needed if you had waited (to try to illustrate my point with a ridiculous example - maybe next week Ronaldo would have been willing to take a bit of a pay cut and join us, but because we signed signed toko, there isn't quite enough to cover his wages, had we not signed Toko, we would've had enough for ronaldo)

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
What I'd like to know more than anything else these days is that if transfers are so hard to get done, and the work behind them is a massive mountain in itself, how come once the Ulloa bid was accepted he was gone in 3 days, why is it that Buckleys bid was accepted within the last few days and he's signing tomorrow most likely and that's just to finalise terms.

It's the same in January, outside of getting bids accepted, it seems a very quick process in getting players out the door, but for inward moves getting a bid accepted is as meaningless as a rumour, with players using us to get new contracts at their own clubs or moving to a side we should be looking down upon.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'd add that there seems to be an overall reduction in transfer activity, possibly because of the world cup and the whole trickle down effect. Because of this and new FFP concerns I'm expecting an unprecedented level of business to be done in the last 48 hours of this window across the whole of football. I agree that we should cut the club some slack and there's no point moaning until the window has shut.

Hopefully David Burke won't be doing any dangerous sports in the second half of August...

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
This is how it feels to be Brighton, this is how it feels to be small, sell star players and reinvest in **** all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports