Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Sanchez

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think it has been harsh that Ryan has been made out to be a scapegoat and held responsible for our 'unlucky' start. The change from a back 4 to a back 5 has required a shift in style, positioning and drills for the team and this causes uncertainty as they master their roles.

Just like Bernardo, Duffy, Stephens, Murray et al have been replaced by Potter so it has happened to Ryan. Some like Gross will respond well and earn their place back while others will have weaknesses that are exposed in the new set up and be considered surplus to requirements. I'd love to see Ryan have a great career but I'm not sure that will happen with Potter

Yes,
I agree,I was desparate to see Maty do well but like Duffy he wasn't quite right for the new style.
I think it's helped the back three, especially dunk, having Sanchez there too.
I started to get the feeling dunk in particular was thinking to much about Ryan rather than 100 percent on defensive role.
Dunk seems more like the old dunk now,just focusing on his game and happy to let Sanchez do the goalkeeping bit.
I believe Sanchez has the perfect attributes for not only this system but to be a top goalie.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I was more impressed then I should have been with his two handed throw against Leeds.

Can’t remember the last time I saw an Albion keeper do that, but it meant the pass was accurate, fast and got us away on the counter. Not the most conventional but certainly worked

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There needs to be a level of acknowledgement to the team, style and tactics involved. Under Houghton we played a 4-4-1-1 formation which had 4 midfielders all drilled in dropping deep and packing the pitch to limit the exposure to our defence. This resulted in a large number of balls being delivered into the box so Dunk & Duffy could head most things clear, the other option for the opposition was to shoot from distance which saw D&D throwing themselves in front of efforts or a ball may drop to a player in the box which Ryan with his great reflexes and shot stopping skills could excel.

With Potter the team, style and tactics are completely different. We don't dominate in the air but because we are wider we find more situations where attackers are in behind us and we have given away a larger number of free kicks and corners. To combat these scenarios we need a goalkeeper who is commanding in the air to compliment the defence.

I was really happy with Ryan and he hasn't suddenly become awful but his strengths are not necessarily what we require currently. Sanchez has many great attributes for a goalkeeper and I hope he has a long and successful Albion career

Spot on. Ditto with Duffy: great defender under CH, but not suited to Potter's way of playing. Webster, on the other hand. Dunk can play under either, but Dunk needs Webster or another rapid CB (or two) alongside him, because he hasn't got the pace to play a high line. D&D playing a high line would be suicidal.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Webster is taking charge in the air at set pieces and defending superbly.
Even Dan Burn is looking assured.
Ben White looks a lot more assured...............Spanish Bob has more than replaced Maty Ryan, he has restored the confidence of the whole of the defence.
Well played sir.

I’m strangely looking forward to when we play at team who will test us properly at set pieces. I think you’ve been very insightful recognising the whole defence has improved as a result of Spanish Bob. Long may it continue, I don’t see Burnley targeting him with corners when we go up to Lancashire.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Loved Mat Ryan. Fantastic professional for the club and I wish him all the best.

But Sanchez looks a genuine class goalkeeper. We hadn’t seen much of him but he has looked fantastic in his early appearances for us. Commanding from crosses, great shot stopper, long kicker.

I noticed the defence sometimes err on the side of caution rather than pass back to him in high pressure situations, but they’ll work it out I’m sure.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He gives a very different option and doesn’t do so much passing out from the back, like Maty used to. But coming for crosses and catching several times yesterday showed why we’ve favoured him. I wish we’d got Martinez when he went to Villa but Sanchez looks similar.. ironically I feel Martinez only got that move because of Neal Maupay (injuring Leno) :lol:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Superb talent.

Made key saves in all his games. 3 clean sheets in a row. 1 conceded in 4. Defence looks far more assured. And he’s the coolest, calmest man on the pitch.

There’s only one Bobby Sanchez [emoji123]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He’s very good.

64AAFCE7-5194-4C01-A7F8-C821F4086156.png

Even better than Leno!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes he did.

Rave reviews that equate to 9 PL clean sheets and an international call up for Spain just 18, 12, and/or 6 months after writing.

I have got to read those, can you please share them.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
He has potential to be our greatest ever keeper if he stays and continues to progress as he has. I don't think we've ever had any truly great ones. Grummitt and Corrigan were near the end of their careers with the latter in particular hardly a Brighton keeper. Kuipers? Never saw him as out of the UK all the time he was with us. Powney did well for us over a long period. Sánchez is certainly the most exciting new keeper I've ever seen for us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He has potential to be our greatest ever keeper if he stays and continues to progress as he has. I don't think we've ever had any truly great ones. Grummitt and Corrigan were near the end of their careers with the latter in particular hardly a Brighton keeper. Kuipers? Never saw him as out of the UK all the time he was with us. Powney did well for us over a long period. Sánchez is certainly the most exciting new keeper I've ever seen for us.

Kuipers would probably not make my top ten of Brighton Keepers!!

Steele
Moseley
Beeney
Keeley
Sanchez
Ryan
Roberts
Digweed
Stockdale
Kusczak

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Kuipers would probably not make my top ten of Brighton Keepers!!

Steele
Moseley
Beeney
Keeley
Sanchez
Ryan
Roberts
Digweed
Stockdale
Kusczak

You are right, he's not. He wasn't actually a particularly good keeper which is why we kept trying to replace him but he he had good players in front of him (most of the time) and was a great character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here