Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Time for Sanchez

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
In many of our games this season, I have thought we could have played pretty much anyone in goal and the result would be the same.

Today was similar but what really impressed me was when Sanchez made some big claims and most importantly, his concentration. Steele's clanger against Newport showed how important it is to stay switched on when you have had little to do during a game and Sanchez did that today.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Fantastic perfromance from him yesterday.
The claims were immense and looking for fast distribution every time also. hopefully the players will start expecting that soon.

Our defence is looking better and better every game. The confidence levels are back. Everyone doing their job perfectly.
Dunk's dodgy(by his standards) season, looks to be over.
Webster is taking charge in the air at set pieces and defending superbly
Even Dan Burn is looking assured.
Ben White looks a lot more assured.

Whilst we've all bemoaned the fact that we don't take our chances, the real cause of our problems has been defence.
Having to score at least 2 ,to win any given game, has held us back this season.

Yesterday's game was a turning point. The second goal would have been nice, but in truth it was never a necessity.

Spanish Bob has more than replaced Maty Ryan, he has restored the confidence of the whole of the defence.
Well played sir.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Also...

Hats off to Graham Potter.
Lots of comments on here over the past month or so, about him being too nice and belittling his management style.
Plenty on here accused him of being unable to drill an organised defence.
1 goal conceded in 2 away games against City and Leeds. Not too shabby.

He clearly identified the issue with the defence was MR and took action.
Changing an experienced PL keeper for a youngster ( who wasn't even second choice), took balls.

The idea that he is some sort of insipid "Geography Teacher", who has no impact on the players, is clearly horseshit.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Also...

Hats off to Graham Potter.
Lots of comments on here over the past month or so, about him being too nice and belittling his management style.
Plenty on here accused him of being unable to drill an organised defence.
1 goal conceded in 2 away games against City and Leeds. Not too shabby.

He clearly identified the issue with the defence was MR and took action.
Changing an experienced PL keeper for a youngster ( who wasn't even second choice), took balls.

The idea that he is some sort of insipid "Geography Teacher", who has no impact on the players, is clearly horseshit.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

I think in fairness there was a core number of us here who identified a lot of dropped points were due to the keeper position (notably nearly every shot on target being a goal). Which caused a few fights here as Matty is very popular. The stats proved the above as they began to stack up, so the clubs data analytics would also note this.

But in true Potter fashion, he didn’t just go out and buy a new keeper. He looked at the u23s, picked the guy he rated and trusted him enough to throw him right into the deep end. Another reason why this manager is special.

As well as being ruthless (for his critics here who said he was too nice) THAT takes balls with his job and the clubs safety on the line. 100% agree. I strongly felt we needed to address the keeper position, I was shocked he chose Sanchez at first.

But pretty much from his first game at Spurs, I’ve been hugely impressed by him. And talking numbers, what’s he worth now I wonder?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have been posting for some time, soon after he arrived in fact Ryan is not EPL standard. He's very consistent and plays to his ability but it's limited and now everyone can see a difference a commanding keeper can have. The crosses yesterday were bread and butter for Sanchez whereas I doubt Ryan would have even attempted for them and if he did it could easily have been a flap.

He will make mistakes probably more so than Ryan as he is still learning and honing his skills but the confidence he has and command of the box far out ways any odd error of judgement.

It's been a number of years since I've been truly excited about our man between the sticks. Sanchez has the potential to become one of the best. No pressure like :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For all the jokes about Maty's height issues, we have seen the advantage, assuming equal shot stopping skills, of a keeper being taller. The whole defence seems to be more confident because of it.

Yep it's so odd to watch.
We've gone from laser guided shots into the top/bottom corner to Kevin DB shooting straight at the keeper.

I still watch thinking 'if Ryan were in goal...'.
If Ryan were in goal Dunk would have got a touch on that glorious cross and steered the ball in'.

It can only be down to physical presence.
Opportunities are still be presented, they just are no longer being taken.

Clearly I was loud wrong there.
I don't believe Sanchez could have saved most of Ryan's 'goals', but almost instantly it seems we won't find out.
My final defence of Ryan being unfairly scapegoated was the calibre of who we were playing, but as said, Man City rather put an end to that.

It certainly seems like my (our) hope that Sanchez will go far (considerably further than Ryan) is comfortably on track.
I just hope we give him the benefit when mistakes like the City back pass get punished.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
There needs to be a level of acknowledgement to the team, style and tactics involved. Under Houghton we played a 4-4-1-1 formation which had 4 midfielders all drilled in dropping deep and packing the pitch to limit the exposure to our defence. This resulted in a large number of balls being delivered into the box so Dunk & Duffy could head most things clear, the other option for the opposition was to shoot from distance which saw D&D throwing themselves in front of efforts or a ball may drop to a player in the box which Ryan with his great reflexes and shot stopping skills could excel.

With Potter the team, style and tactics are completely different. We don't dominate in the air but because we are wider we find more situations where attackers are in behind us and we have given away a larger number of free kicks and corners. To combat these scenarios we need a goalkeeper who is commanding in the air to compliment the defence.

I was really happy with Ryan and he hasn't suddenly become awful but his strengths are not necessarily what we require currently. Sanchez has many great attributes for a goalkeeper and I hope he has a long and successful Albion career

May 5, 2020
Sussex
There needs to be a level of acknowledgement to the team, style and tactics involved. Under Houghton we played a 4-4-1-1 formation which had 4 midfielders all drilled in dropping deep and packing the pitch to limit the exposure to our defence. This resulted in a large number of balls being delivered into the box so Dunk & Duffy could head most things clear, the other option for the opposition was to shoot from distance which saw D&D throwing themselves in front of efforts or a ball may drop to a player in the box which Ryan with his great reflexes and shot stopping skills could excel.

With Potter the team, style and tactics are completely different. We don't dominate in the air but because we are wider we find more situations where attackers are in behind us and we have given away a larger number of free kicks and corners. To combat these scenarios we need a goalkeeper who is commanding in the air to compliment the defence.

I was really happy with Ryan and he hasn't suddenly become awful but his strengths are not necessarily what we require currently. Sanchez has many great attributes for a goalkeeper and I hope he has a long and successful Albion career

This.
Spot on and what I have been trying to say for a while but you have put it far better than I could.
Absolutely spot on.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This.
Spot on and what I have been trying to say for a while but you have put it far better than I could.
Absolutely spot on.

I think it has been harsh that Ryan has been made out to be a scapegoat and held responsible for our 'unlucky' start. The change from a back 4 to a back 5 has required a shift in style, positioning and drills for the team and this causes uncertainty as they master their roles.

Just like Bernardo, Duffy, Stephens, Murray et al have been replaced by Potter so it has happened to Ryan. Some like Gross will respond well and earn their place back while others will have weaknesses that are exposed in the new set up and be considered surplus to requirements. I'd love to see Ryan have a great career but I'm not sure that will happen with Potter

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here