Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new national anthem?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
England's anthem at tournaments should be Land of Hope and Glory. (Mind you it is all Hope but never Glory for our football team).

God Save the Queen should only be played when representing all the UK.
Land of Hope and Glory is still British though, we need something English. Sadly Jerusalem is probably all we've got, although I did hear someone once mention "There'll Always Be An England". Just need one hashed verse:

There'll always be an England
While there's a country lane,
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain.
There'll always be an England,
And England shall be free,
If England means as much to you
As England means to me!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If we want something that will fire up the team before a game, we should adopt something that is in a similar vein to Bodies by Drowning Pool and Break Stuff by Limp Bizkit

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have no doubt that the FA's solution to England's woes will be to try to steal the Welsh manager and most of the Welsh team after the Euros, so we may as well change it to the Welsh one. Which, I have to say, is a bloody marvellous anthem.

Failing that, the theme tune to Dad's Army will do.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line?

Flower of Scotland is a banging tune but doesn't work for the Scotch. Quite the reverse in fact.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I vow to thee my country. Beautiful, inspiring, secular, patriotic, glorious, melodic, MAGNIFICENT.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Yep, can't say I have really heard it before. The human voice is truly a gift, haven't got a clue what they are singing about but I can certainly feel it.

Better quality version:

https://youtu.be/FkvGAiyPw-E

I lived there for a couple of years, it always brings a lump to my throat when I hear it. I am biased, but I think it's one of the best national anthems there is. It's in Setswana but the words translate to:

Blessed be this noble land,
Gift to us from God's strong hand,
Heritage our fathers left to us.
May it always be at peace.
Chorus:
Awake, awake, O men, awake!
And women close beside them stand,
Together we'll work and serve
This land, this happy land!
Word of beauty and of fame,
The name Botswana to us came
Through our unity and harmony,
We'll remain at peace as one.

Nothing about fighting or war or a struggle for Independence. No arrogance or 'we are the greatest' attitude either. Perfect sentiments for a national anthem.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Brovion;7497865 [COLOR=#333333 said:
There'll always be an England
While there's a country lane,
Wherever there's a cottage small
Beside a field of grain.
There'll always be an England,
And England shall be free,
If England means as much to you
As England means to me!
[/COLOR]
Or

I vow to thee my country.

Definitely not Jersusalem. If it must be changed.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I lived there for a couple of years, it always brings a lump to my throat when I hear it. I am biased, but I think it's one of the best national anthems there is. It's in Setswana but the words translate to:

Nothing about fighting or war or a struggle for Independence. No arrogance or 'we are the greatest' attitude either. Perfect sentiments for a national anthem.

It's a powerful bit of music and makes the world sound like a peaceful, happy place. I really like it tbh.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
At some point in the next 20 years, sadly and inevitably, the mother of the nation, HM The Queen will pass away, meaning her son and first born, HRH The Prince of Wales, will become King. The result of which will mean a new national anthem - 'God Save The King'. Job done.

So does the term "Die, Royal bitch, die!" come from the need for a new anthem?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line? I'm starting to suspect the latter. Personally, the meaningless, sycophantic dirge just does nothing for me.

Joe Hart

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
one things for sure, if GSTQ was someone elses anthem, it would be 'stirring', and whatever one had would be a 'dirge' (a word only ever used in the context of discussing GSTQ, one of the most recognised anthems in the world, and one we all grew up with, one we all almost instantly associate with our country).

To quote Barry McKenzie, we never tire of 'crying stinking fish in our own backyard'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here