Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time for a new national anthem?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you are trying to convince yourself that England go out of tournaments because of a song?

Indeed.

It IS a rubbish anthem, but get a grip. England's tournament woes have many and varied causes - a SONG is not one of them.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line? I'm starting to suspect the latter. Personally, the meaningless, sycophantic dirge just does nothing for me.

Which supporters sing their national anthem louder then England?

Whatever anyone else thinks of the tune you can't question the enthusiasm of the people singing it in the stands. I'm pretty sure our fans are the only ones who sing the anthem unprompted during the game as well.
The players are a different kettle of fish but I'm pretty sure they're going to stand there and look awkward if you asked them to sing any song on camera, regardless of what it is.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Time to compose a new one to reflect our standing in the football world.

We've only booked our hotel on a nightly basis
Our bags are packed and ready to go
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
To the money and adulation of the premier league
Out out out
We voted out
And we must rejoin our fans back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can't wait for the new season, people really are bored

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
England's anthem at tournaments should be Land of Hope and Glory. (Mind you it is all Hope but never Glory for our football team).

God Save the Queen should only be played when representing all the UK.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Time to compose a new one to reflect our standing in the football world.

We've only booked our hotel on a nightly basis
Our bags are packed and ready to go
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
To the money and adulation of the premier league
Out out out
We voted out
And we must rejoin our fans back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home

and the first line showed such promise...:facepalm:

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
If the Boaty McBoatface / Brexit embarassments are anything to go by, we'll end up with the theme tune to Trumpton.

I'd actually quite like that :)

But my vote would be Jerusalem. I just like the chord structure and it works for cricket already.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Lets have 'Ode to Joy' by Beethoven as our national anthem. Everyone loves that.

Down in the dumps yesterday afternoon I played that at a million decibels and all the neighbours came round to congratulate me. Mind you, someone at the count on 23 June said our village appeared to be 80 per cent Remain.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Well with the enthusiasm that English players put into it, I suggest "Flight of the Bumble Bee" then they only need to Hum, like they've been doing for the past few years. English players, almost without exception outwardly lack any pride or patriotism. Makes my blood boil when they can't even be bothered to move the lips... The new manager needs to spend some time teaching them the words and making them sing it with gusto. or feck them off out of it ...down to Ibiza! :rolleyes:

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Always thought Jerusalem would a much better song - even mentions the country - In England's green and pleasant land.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It has been suggested elsewhere today that those national football teams who sing their national anthems with the most fervour and pride tend to perform best during their games. Is this because they just have more national pride, or is it because our anthem is just so dreadful it kills any hint of enthusiasm stone dead before the end of the first line? I'm starting to suspect the latter. Personally, the meaningless, sycophantic dirge just does nothing for me.

I would disagree as GSTQ is sung by virtually every one of our team members and management staff, even more so than the Welsh or Irish as a number of theirs do not know it . This could be awkward if Jurgen Klinsmsn gets the manager job, a German singing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here