Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tim Martin - what goes around.....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well perhaps you should have.

A summary of the thread;

- schadenfreude at Tim Martin’s plight
- (positive) information on the quality of the chain’s beer equipment
- debunking of a couple of anti-spoons myths
- first-hand anecdote about of Tim Martin being a **** to his staff.
- recommendations of some specific spoons pubs in beautiful converted buildings
- first-hand anecdote of value / quality of specific meals
- discussion of the overall business strategy
- Tim Martin is a ****
Very helpful, thanks. I hope this new thread summary service is avalable to all on NSC [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Very helpful, thanks. I hope this new thread summary service is avalable to all on NSC [emoji106]

I was merely going to say something about how lazy it is to have a go at someone or something without knowing the facts - I.e without reading through the thread.

Thanks to HKFC for doing that, and thereby proving you to be WRONG.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't be bothered to read through this thread but I assume it's just a continuation of the ongoing left of centre (middle) class war against the working classes because they dare to have a different view of what is best for them and drink at a different establishment..

You assume incorrectly. It’s about Tim Martin and what a wally he is. Your agenda is harming you. Keep calm, it’s not all about you and your social politics :)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A amusing read with the obvious gap in the football this weekend.

Hilarious getting worked up by a pub chain.

Can we do Supermarkets next or are motorway services next on the agenda?

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
All right I'll put my head over the parapet.

Tim Martin is not everyone's cup of tea but if you don't like his politics don't give him any of your readies?

Some 'Spoons are awful (mostly due to the Clientele e.g. The Golden Hope in Sittingbourne)

Some 'Spoons are delightful (I defy you to fault the Peter Cushing in Whitstable)

Food is ordinary pub grub but cheap.

Beer is cheap .and (almost always) in good nick.

I don't begrudge him his success, it has come from OPENING Pubs, as opposed to, for example, good old fashioned Breweries like Hall & Woodhouse who have asset stripped a certain Horsham based family brewery and closed half their Pubs in Sussex so they can be turned into Property Developments.

Totally agree. Most comments on this thread are made by people still whining about the result of the 2016 referendum, get over it. I've been in some sh*t hole Wetherspoons and some very good ones. I've also been in some non Wetherspoons sh*t hole pubs and some very good ones, everyone has a choice. I have no gripe with Tim Martin, in actual fact applaud him for what he has done for the drinking classes of this country. His beer is good and I don't look down on some of his clientele, for some posters on here they feel superior to the "toothless tattooed" do they cause you harm? I don't know how he treats his staff, but looking at the situations vacant columns it had better be good, since Brexit we are into an age where employees are getting the upper hand.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Totally agree. Most comments on this thread are made by people still whining about the result of the 2016 referendum, get over it. I've been in some sh*t hole Wetherspoons and some very good ones. I've also been in some non Wetherspoons sh*t hole pubs and some very good ones, everyone has a choice. I have no gripe with Tim Martin, in actual fact applaud him for what he has done for the drinking classes of this country. His beer is good and I don't look down on some of his clientele, for some posters on here they feel superior to the "toothless tattooed" do they cause you harm? I don't know how he treats his staff, but looking at the situations vacant columns it had better be good, since Brexit we are into an age where employees are getting the upper hand.

He treats his staff like crap. Especially through Covid. That’s where most of the ill-will towards him stems from. That and his “me first” attitude to Brexit. Which seems to have come back to bite him on the bum.
As for the clientele in his pubs? Don’t care who is in there as long as they’re not bothering me.
There are some spoons I wouldn’t enter in a ****ing hazmat suit. Kingston or the city centre ones in Brighton. There others I happily frequent, some in London are good as is the Marina one.

I haven’t boycotted all spoons and don’t intend to. But I can see perfectly well why people have.
I will usually choose somewhere else over spoons but a cheap breakfast or a pint in some of the nicer ones? Yeah, happy to do that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He treats his staff like crap. Especially through Covid. That’s where most of the ill-will towards him stems from. That and his “me first” attitude to Brexit. Which seems to have come back to bite him on the bum.
As for the clientele in his pubs? Don’t care who is in there as long as they’re not bothering me.
There are some spoons I wouldn’t enter in a ****ing hazmat suit. Kingston or the city centre ones in Brighton. There others I happily frequent, some in London are good as is the Marina one.

I haven’t boycotted all spoons and don’t intend to. But I can see perfectly well why people have.
I will usually choose somewhere else over spoons but a cheap breakfast or a pint in some of the nicer ones? Yeah, happy to do that.

When I worked for Molson Coors I often had to work in Spoons, especially their new ones and help to design the dispense system.

His business model back then was unrivalled, he would find empty shops/banks in town/city centres get them cheap, get cheap business council tax and so on. He would then drive all the other pubs around in to the ground.

He has changed tact a little now in that he now buying existing pubs and has done for a few years.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
He treats his staff like crap. Especially through Covid. /QUOTE]

Where is your evidence for this?

I ask, as I read through a 20 page document which was placed on every table in Wetherspoons this morning. This documents evidence that 9 newspapers and Sky News were forced to publish apologies for misquoting TM about staff matters including wages and alternative working in Tescos.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He treats his staff like crap. Especially through Covid. /QUOTE]

Where is your evidence for this?

I ask, as I read through a 20 page document which was placed on every table in Wetherspoons this morning. This documents evidence that 9 newspapers and Sky News were forced to publish apologies for misquoting TM about staff matters including wages and alternative working in Tescos.

The fact he’s ordering a 20 page document to be placed on every table is proof enough for me that he’s a twerp.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
The fact he’s ordering a 20 page document to be placed on every table is proof enough for me that he’s a twerp.

Nobody is disputing he is a twerp. But you seem to be avoiding offering up any evidence for the statement "He treats his staff like crap."

Or is it that you're just another keyboard warrior who buckles when challenged?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Nobody is disputing he is a twerp. But you seem to be avoiding offering up any evidence for the statement "He treats his staff like crap."

No, it’s just that I don’t care whether someone on the Internet disagrees with me :)

Last I read, he was turning his staff over through lockdown. I’ll be sure to read his twenty page book next time I’m by.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Hardly Mr nice guy as an employer . . .

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...denies-abandoning-staff-in-coronavirus-crisis

The company I work for employs 40 people and was forced to put half of us on furlough for up to two months last summer, it protected the company and our jobs. A Privately owned company and the 2 directors topped up all of our wages to 100%. Business is still recovering but we all have jobs. That in my book is a good employer, not multi millionaire selfish ***** only interested in a profit margin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well perhaps you should have.

A summary of the thread;

- schadenfreude at Tim Martin’s plight
- (positive) information on the quality of the chain’s beer equipment
- debunking of a couple of anti-spoons myths
- first-hand anecdote about of Tim Martin being a **** to his staff.
- recommendations of some specific spoons pubs in beautiful converted buildings
- first-hand anecdote of value / quality of specific meals
- discussion of the overall business strategy
- Tim Martin is a ****

That won't be of any help to someone who just wants to make a tedious political point without knowing any of the facts :shrug:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No, it’s just that I don’t care whether someone on the Internet disagrees with me :)

Last I read, he was turning his staff over through lockdown. I’ll be sure to read his twenty page book next time I’m by.

You will be happy to know the twenty pages of retractions by all sorts of media are available for you to look at on the 'Spoons Webpage.

Seeing as m'learned friends looked over all of these and the media concerned immediately withdrew their stories I'm perhaps on his side with this...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A amusing read with the obvious gap in the football this weekend.

Hilarious getting worked up by a pub chain.

Can we do Supermarkets next or are motorway services next on the agenda?

Make your mind up. :shrug:

And who, apart from the great defenders of truth like JCFG, is getting worked up?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The thread was started to point out that Spoons is running out of certain beers, just as Nandos is closing outlets, Tesco has half it's cheap imports missing from its online orders and McDonalds are struggling to fulfil milkshakes. As a defender of the working classes and the common eatery I'm surprised you're not FUMING. I wonder why not?

He said he hasn't read the thread :shrug:

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here