Thursday . . . All will be revealed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Totally this. Their position on day one of this saga was very weak, it is not now untenable. They have to act, pay off Poyet, and get a new manager. Personally think it's nonsense we are in this position, but given it seems there is no going back Poyet has to go. And they have to pay him to do so.

This. They should have just done the deal the day after the play off defeat.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This. They should have just done the deal the day after the play off defeat.

I personally wouldn't have been happy if we'd written off 2.4m of next year's playing budget for the sake of avoiding 5 weeks delay while due dismissal process is carried out.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
I personally wouldn't have been happy if we'd written off 2.4m of next year's playing budget for the sake of avoiding 5 weeks delay while due dismissal process is carried out.

Why would it have been 2.4m? Doing a deal means doing a deal. Gus wanted to leave and we wanted him to leave. What do you think happens up and down the country and club after club when a manager leaves? Both parties sit down and reach an agreement. Since this suspension nonsense started we've already made him an offer (according to The Argus). Make of that what you will.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

This is the part I am unhappy about. It appears that there is a release clause on either side of around £2.5 mill in his contract. But if he has done something that it is considered in breach of contract, why should he then disappear into the sunset with that sort of money in his pocket.
Money that has come out of yours and my pockets in our support of the Albion, in a hope that the season ticket money goes to strengthen the team, not to fatten the bank balance of Gus Poyet, for failure to do the job he was employed to do, within the terms of the contract he agreed.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This is the part I am unhappy about. It appears that there is a release clause on either side of around £2.5 mill in his contract. But if he has done something that it is considered in breach of contract, why should he then disappear into the sunset with that sort of money in his pocket.
Money that has come out of yours and my pockets in our support of the Albion, in a hope that the season ticket money goes to strengthen the team, not to fatten the bank balance of Gus Poyet, for failure to do the job he was employed to do, within the terms of the contract he agreed.

There's also a compensation clause of 2.5 if he leaves for another club... so it cuts both ways.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

100% correct. Patience; Gus is now VERY close to the exit door.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing

I agree.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If this had been done, then Poyet would have a justifiable case for constructive dismissal.

Not only "constructive dismissal" it could also well be a serious breach of the contract between the club and GP.

It is likely to have included clauses such as, "The manager, (Gus Poyet), will be solely responsible for selecting the team."

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Not only "constructive dismissal" it could also well be a serious breach of the contract between the club and GP.

It is likely to have included clauses such as, "The manager, (Gus Poyet), will be solely responsible for selecting the team."

Are you seriously suggesting that the club stopped poyet picking the team? Or just using as an example?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you seriously suggesting that the club stopped poyet picking the team? Or just using as an example?

They're talking about if the club had brought in a temp manager.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Are there circumstances where this 2.5m could be higher? Maybe the club is working on the basis that with all these shenanigans it could settle for a figure a lot less than 2.5m knowing that worse case they would have to shell out 2.5m anyway. Unless of course it's possible that GP could claim a greater amount so is that a possible scenario?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I think he will go/pushed tomorrow...then new manager by Monday...this is the business end of it all now.. Club will have made decision, also now it is really time to prepare for new season before too late..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And if we've lost £4+m on the playing budget because we've had to pay lawyers fees, then had to pay Gus off anyway (or even if we walk away without having to pay Gus), then had to pay extra for players because we've left it later to get into the market, because our manager isn't as recognisable/appealing to perspective players as Gus, and because agents will think Bloom and the club will be desperate for success next season to avoid a potential backlash for forcing Gus out leading to a relegation battle season so can be held to ransom, then the following season appear as a less appealing option for players because we were strugglers this coming year?

Would you be happy then?

Not saying that is how it will turn out, just that it isn't so simple as only paying gus off at the get go would have affected our budgets for next season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
The club is in the farcicial position of having to pay a substantial sum to sack their own manager who doesn't want to be here anyway. Absurd.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The club is in the farcicial position of having to pay a substantial sum to sack their own manager who doesn't want to be here anyway. Absurd.

That is the whole point.

The club, with expensive legal advice, reckon that under employment law rather than football practice, that they can sack Poyet for breach of contract.

This will be a test case, make no mistake, which is why the LMA waded in yesterday.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
My money is on the club doing the right thing......and Mr Poyet walking into the sunset clutching a handful of fivers,grinning about his future television career!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports