Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Three must go, not just Hyypia. Burke out, Barber out

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paul Barber is doing exactly what he was employed by TB to do, make us a more viable business perhaps TB cannot afford or does not wish to continue throwing millions into the club with little return. I believe the emphasis on our failures this season rest entirely on the shoulders of SH NJ and Paul Burke. The money men should be left out of the discussions as it is on the pitch that we are poor and that is what needs to be put right.

The only reason the Finnish clown is in charge is because we lost two managers in two years and no one decent wanted the job in the summer, at least under the terms we were prepared to offer and the restrictions we place on our candidate list. Ask yourself why Hyypia is here before pinning it all on him.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Oh God, what a mess. I'm honestly so confused now I don't know who I feel sorry for, or whom I am pizzed off with.
I feel deeply indebted toward TB for saving us from Withdean, I find it very difficult to criticise PB, as he does 'seem' to have achieved his purpose. Though of course us fans don't really know what goes on behind the closed doors of The Amex.
But one thing above all else that bugs me and has done for sometime is the glaring waste of money (millions I'm guessing) on transfers, loans and salaries for players that are not up to the job. The use of loanees that only ever get to watch football, the purchase of lower league players that we then sell off (at a loss) without having had any input from. God only knows how much in salaries the club has paid for players to park there bottoms on the bench. That money would have been so so much better used by purchasing two or three quality players, this penny wise pound foolish crap is doing my head in. Is David Burke to blame? I don't know, but it does all seem to point to procurement for me. ???

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Why must he go? What is the real Jones, the one who helped coach a team who finished 6th or the assistant to Hyypia.

The one that sarcastically applauded the fans last night at the end and once again showed his true colours?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If rumours are true, then the playing budget has gone up every season that Barber has been here. He has also boosted our income from things like improved sponsorship deals which he is here for which has helped to achieve this. How is investing this capital into the team failing to spend on the team? especially when things haven't been going well and they have spent further by bringing in Darren Bent and Elliott Bennett (could easily have said work with what you have got and not brought these 2 in as well as having reduced the playing budget every season since he got here if your playing side comment was true)

The Premier League ready thing was supposedly an internal thing only and never used in communications by the club to fans (except in correspondance to fans asking about it and getting this kind of reply) - why shouldn't they be trying to get the club in the best possible shape for its future?

The corporate nonsense is helping fund this investment in the squad, income directly from the fans can only go so far and i have absolutely no idea why this is even an issue other than we arn't doing too well and people need to find an explanation for it (whether the explanation is true or not) But without it i doubt we would be able to have a Championship squad even with the Amex because football is an expensive business.

BTW - did all our fans leave at Withdean when we struggled and got relegated there? I thought we still hovered around 6k there every season so they can't have all been die hards because we only had around 2k at Gillingham - why, if the main product is crap, did such a high percentage of the extra fans (Withdean JCLs if you like) keep coming back? and why won't a lot of the Amex fans still stay with it, even with relegation should it ever come?

Maybe the club being too open on how they operate is the problem, and ignorance is bliss but it's too late to put the genie back into the bottle but i'd have thought the fans would want the club to be open with the fans, especially given our recent history.

I doubt few have an issue with increasing revenue. It's the manner and the tone with which Barber operates which disappoints and is now alienating people. Raising money doesn't have to be so patronising, soulless, cold and corporate. In fact long term his customer-squeezing approach might do harm as he has lost the goodwill of most supporters and goodwill is a very valuable commodity.

England > Spurs > Vancouver > Brighton suggests a career on the slide. Tony, get rid of him and employ someone on the up and someone who strikes a better balance like the fella at Derby.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Every club Barber has been at has underachieved whilst he's been in post. I see him nothing more than a spin artist and the route of most of the problems at the club. I can't see the club rebuilding the momentum we had under Gus until Barber does the decent thing and resigns.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Barber is the CEO on a very, very large salary. He will have a major input to the direction and set up of the club anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

Bloom needs to adjust his thinking otherwise we ill end up with two giant white elephants in league 1 (stadium and training complex).

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I believe that I read somewhere that he is paid 500k pa. My opinion and understanding (Paul please note) is that ffp has been met by selling decent players with the budget invested in worse players (obviously Paul this is just my opinion so please don't use Bozza to threaten me with legal action once more). Obviously meeting ffp may well be down to Paul's brilliance instead.

The interpretation of my recent experience (Paul please note that I am not stating this as fact) is that he has also assisted, or maybe even instigated, the alienation of fans and suppressing dissent by monitoring , exerting some control over this site and threatening posters - this is all my own personal opinion Paul so please don't threaten legal action against me again.

Clearly I may be wrong and I urge you all to reach your own conclusion (Paul, this in important part of this post so please do take note); it is really quite possible that the severe downturn in the clubs atmosphere, performance and ability to retain managers since Paul Barber arrived is a complete coincidence and he may be doing an absolutely fantastic job.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't think it will be long before another another politicians newsletter is sent out by PB which is three pages long but is not worth the paper its written on telling us absolutely nothing apart from reaffirming the fact that PLR has now been re-evaluated to L1R with what will be by then a L2 squad

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
This "customer" of 40 years is boycotting the shambles, I've not been that upset since the Archer and Bellotti days, it all came flooding back last night. Will the club care? No

I've said it before. I fully understand the club needs to operate commercially, but the tone isn't customer focussed. It's the message we hear at work. It's business to business and bypassed me as a supporter. I don't hear this rubbish from Tescos.Oddly I've felt at times the visit to the Amex resembles a trade fair rather than the Saturday I love to get away from it all.I fully understand the club need to move on but it has frankly failed to embrace the past. That's all part of the mix. A bit of history, a bit of the future. That's what makes clubs like Manchester United and Liverpool such succesfull brands.Not at the Albion. Forget the past we've "reimagined" it.Odd feeling, but it's honest. It's a personal view and the one the "brand" leaves me feeling.Sorry.If an inexperienced young manager working within a clear corporate structure with defined lines of communication, responsibility and governance floats your boat be my guest.Frankly I like a few beers, a bit of a swear up and 90 mins of football. It's my bloody weekend.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Paul Barber is doing exactly what he was employed by TB to do, make us a more viable business perhaps TB cannot afford or does not wish to continue throwing millions into the club with little return. I believe the emphasis on our failures this season rest entirely on the shoulders of SH NJ and Paul Burke. The money men should be left out of the discussions as it is on the pitch that we are poor and that is what needs to be put right.

I agree with this; in 2 out of PB's 3 seasons here, we've finished in the play offs. So why is he suddenly to blame? The fault is with the manager and the recruitment team - and they report directly to Tony Bloom, so you can't blame PB for them either.

I don't see what NJ has done to be so unpopular though; he was part of last year's successful management team and was wanted by Oscar at his new job.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe that I read somewhere that he is paid 500k pa. My opinion and understanding (Paul please note) is that ffp has been met by selling decent players with the budget invested in worse players (obviously Paul this is just my opinion so please don't use Bozza to threaten me with legal action once more). Obviously meeting ffp may well be down to Paul's brilliance instead.

The interpretation of my recent experience (Paul please note that I am not stating this as fact) is that he has also assisted, or maybe even instigated, the alienation of fans and suppressing dissent by monitoring , exerting some control over this site and threatening posters - this is all my own personal opinion Paul so please don't threaten legal action against me again.

Clearly I may be wrong and I urge you all to reach your own conclusion (Paul, this in important part of this post so please do take note); it is really quite possible that the severe downturn in the clubs atmosphere, performance and ability to retain managers since Paul Barber arrived is a complete coincidence and he may be doing an absolutely fantastic job.

I think the bulk the salary you refer to was a bonus for successfully reducing the operating costs of the club, which allowed increases in the playing budget. Personally, I have no problem with PB. All the corporate speak is not aimed at me, it has a target market that, when successful, helps reduce my ticket cost. It's like junk mail that comes through the letter box. I don't fret over it, it just goes straight into recycling.
As for selling players, the players you refer to all went to Premier league teams and profits were made on them all. Can you explain how we can compete with those wages because if we can't compete then how are we going to stand in the way of players bettering themselves? It would be great if we could get players of the same calibre but that isn't always possible.

Fact is, a club like Brighton is a business (and has been for the whole of the nigh on 40 years that I have been going) and therefore needs a CEO to run it. For those wanting PB out, who would you replace him with?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
This "customer" of 40 years is boycotting the shambles, I've not been that upset since the Archer and Bellotti days, it all came flooding back last night. Will the club care? No
How ironic that the difference between a customer and a fan is that a fan will give loyal support through thick and thin.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Can't disagree.

I understand the need to manage the business aspects of the club, but the set up/structure is definitely flawed. There's a massive disconnect between the club and the fans.

Worst of all, the player recruitment and team management appear to be incredibly contradictory. If we're looking for examples of how to operate on a budget, then Mick McCarthy is surely showing how it should be done.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Who would I replace him with? Someone like our former CEO Martin Perry - who understands the importance of fans rather than customers and passion rather than marketing.

Helping to reduce your ticket cost? Well we have amongst the most expensive tickets in the league and 10,000 empty seats - something tells me his strategy isn't working too well - although to be fair relegation SHOULD see our ticket prices come down.

Brighton and Hove Albion is MORE than just a business - Paul Barber just does not seem to understand that - and for that reason, he's got to go.

This.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
Away games only from now on, until things change, we can mobilise our support and get the heart of the football club back, it will never happen at The Amex, its not The Goldstone.....

How ironic that the difference between a customer and a fan is that a fan will give loyal support through thick and thin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here