Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread for Stockdale...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, I meant his ambition when the ball is at his feet. I mean, fair play to the bloke, he can pass, first time and on the move and I think he has a go with either foot. It is that I get the impression that the easy pass is the least attractive option to him.

Ah, I understand. I think his distribution is good. We've had some good counter attacks going from his kicks.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Bar one slightly over excited kick looking for baldock but ended up no where, another solid performance from our number 13.

Great one one save and a couple of other lovely moments. Great distribution as per. What a class act. Sign him up for a little longer.

MOTM again

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
His reaction after conceding goals, especially the penalty against Ipswich, just show his dedication.

This is something I like to see in a keeper-hating to concede. It was a marked difference between him and the rest of the team last season. He'd go nuts while the rest of the team just shrugged resignedly. I'm happy that he's getting to shine and be valued this season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stockdale wasn't poor last season, he was just to focal point of the team.
That just can't be good.

He'd make 3,4 or 5 top quality saves per game, until finally one got away from him.

Sadly though with nothing happening up the other end, that 1 routine save missed cost points.

Costing points gave the morons a stick to beat him with and from then on it was a done deal.

Although obviously this season he's gone up another level, and as with the rest of the team the little moments that went wrong last year, are all paying off this season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolute bollocks. He made an error or two last season he still was a decent player. It was clear to see. Now in a decent team he is shining.

This for me too. He was never an 'absolute liability' (if he was not sure how our shite team still had a pretty good defensive record), but this season he has reduced his error rate to very few, and bar the odd misplaced kick every game (which I think he will always do as he is ambitious with them and doesn't often take the easy option) he's a rock. Aside from that, seems to love the club, his team-mates and the fans and cares deeply. His whole reaction to Shoreham summed this up. Top bloke and very good keeper. Hope he is here for years.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This for me too. He was never an 'absolute liability' (if he was not sure how our shite team still had a pretty good defensive record), but this season he has reduced his error rate to very few, and bar the odd misplaced kick every game (which I think he will always do as he is ambitious with them and doesn't often take the easy option) he's a rock. Aside from that, seems to love the club, his team-mates and the fans and cares deeply. His whole reaction to Shoreham summed this up. Top bloke and very good keeper. Hope he is here for years.

This, with bells on.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Seriously, what gives you that impression? He comes across as fairly humble imo.

Agree with this. If you see him interviewed, he certainly doesn't come across as a billy big bollox. Loads of humility. Yes his distribution to LR wasn't great but the first job of a keeper is to stop goals and he stopped to certain ones last night.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Yeah my MotM last night a series of decent saves + a couple of excellent ones. In particular I enjoyed the one n the 2nd half where he made a 1 handed cutting out of a cross which went up in the air and he gathered from an unconventional half kneeling half lying down position.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I said on the Bruno thread that he was MoM. I thought he was poor last season, but so much better this. The really impressive thing was being that good on the very few moments that you are needed. He had nothing to do for ages then suddenly is called on and delivered. Top concentration, top performance. Got us the 3 points last night for sure

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Agree with this. If you see him interviewed, he certainly doesn't come across as a billy big bollox. Loads of humility. Yes his distribution to LR wasn't great but the first job of a keeper is to stop goals and he stopped to certain ones last night.

But knocking 30-40 yard balls onto LR's head is obviously part of the pre-agreed game plan quite often and I'd suggest that his overall accuracy for that is pretty good so far this season. I couldn't see us trying that with Koosh or FDM :lolol:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Stockdale wasn't poor last season, he was just to focal point of the team.
That just can't be good.

He'd make 3,4 or 5 top quality saves per game, until finally one got away from him.

Sadly though with nothing happening up the other end, that 1 routine save missed cost points.

Costing points gave the morons a stick to beat him with and from then on it was a done deal.

Although obviously this season he's gone up another level, and as with the rest of the team the little moments that went wrong last year, are all paying off this season.
This.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
He wasn't poor last season.

He wasn't great either, from some of the games I saw. He'd do the difficult stuff well, then drop the occasional clanger, costing us points.

(See, this is how it works: when a player makes a mistake, people mention it and discuss it. That doesn't mean anyone's "on his case" or anything as whiney as that but that's what happens. That's normal.)

This season he's been absolutely magnificent right from the start - if people are criticizing a goalkeeper's passing then straws are being clutched at. And he's justly getting all the credit in the world for it, long may it continue. The man is playing like he has balls the size of grapefruit and it's an absolute joy to behold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here