Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thought you might be interested in Mick McCarthy's comments on Brighton after last night

ArnoldLayne

Jan 19, 2015
Really? I was sure it was MM, seemed to be waiting for Stockdale in particular.

Would love Derby and Ipswich to go up, 2 good clubs managed by decent professional managers. Watching McCarthy yesterday you could see him getting frustrated by Texeiria, definitely not his sort of player! Was expecting some 'made of paper' comments after from him but he's got more class than that.

It was Malcolm Webster, the ITFC goalkeeping coach. Has a good relationship with Stockdale following a loan spell at ours a few years back.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
MM sure seems like a decent no-nonsense manager. I wonder how well he'd do if he had the likes of Suarez and Balloteli to manage. Would his normal approach work with them?

Seems to me you have to be somewhat arrogant and full of yourself to manage players who have similar traits :)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I hope ipswich go up after seeing that gracious interview. Top man Mick!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Love this. Glad to hear Mick shares my opinion of Eddie Howe as a smug little prick.

This pleases me enormously too. I'd love to see a McCarthy side turf that self-satisfied tosser right off his perch.

I've worked out why I don't trust Howe, by the way (apart from his insufferably smug media appearances obviously). It's his teeth. They don't ever move when he speaks. Watch them. He may be smiling, always smiling, but his teeth remain firmly clamped together at all times, which is deeply, deeply suspicious. He looks like a cheap ventriloquist. And I hate ventriloquists, the least funny of all variety show acts. There has never, ever been a funny ventriloquist.They're all creepy weirdos. I can't trust anyone who permanently clenches their teeth like he does.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
This pleases me enormously too. I'd love to see a McCarthy side turf that self-satisfied tosser right off his perch.

I've worked out why I don't trust Howe, by the way (apart from his insufferably smug media appearances obviously). It's his teeth. They don't ever move when he speaks. Watch them. He may be smiling, always smiling, but his teeth remain firmly clamped together at all times, which is deeply, deeply suspicious. He looks like a cheap ventriloquist. And I hate ventriloquists, the least funny of all variety show acts. There has never, ever been a funny ventriloquist.They're all creepy weirdos. I can't trust anyone who permanently clenches their teeth like he does.

Yep another Thumbs down for Howe from me. He's like a smug talking Ken doll purchased from the managers aisle at Waitrose.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
British manager who played for Ireland

I'm just guessing here, but with a name like Mick McCarthy, it's probably fair to assume there is a decent degree of genuine Irish heritage in there somewhere, regardless of his instantly recognisable Yorkshire accent.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008

Unlike you to be slagging off Eddie Howe edna. I can understand your enduring and rabid loathing of Portsmouth FC, but your enduring and rabid anti-Howe stance is difficult to fathom and seemingly without any rational substance beyond him apparently being smug and obscenely tasty in the looks department. Personally, I have never found Howe to be remotely 'smug' in his interviews, but I guess if you are determined enough to see something in someone that fits your agenda then you will.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Unlike you to be slagging off Eddie Howe edna. I can understand your enduring and rabid loathing of Portsmouth FC, but your enduring and rabid anti-Howe stance is difficult to fathom and seemingly without any rational substance beyond him apparently being smug and obscenely tasty in the looks department. Personally, I have never found Howe to be remotely 'smug' in his interviews, but I guess if you are determined enough to see something in someone that fits your agenda then you will.

"Tasty"?

Whatever you say.

Why does there have to be an agenda, by the way? I'd have said it was just an opinion. No more, no less.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No, Edna is right, you're wrong.

This isn't opinion either, it's fact. Howe is a snide little prick, who perpetuates the smiley, matey image, whilst preparing teams to the nth degree in the arts of gamesmanship and all things cynical. He's a complete arse.

(And he's ex-Pompey, to boot)

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, Edna loves Eddie, etc

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Yeah' but you love Eddie Howe, everyone knows that - "obscenely tasty in the looks department" .... PLEEEASE!!!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This is my favourite Mick McCarthy comment of the season after we drew 2-2 down at Bournemouth after some snidey comments from Eddie Howe. It also applied to Watford (Jokanovic) and Fulham (Magath) after we beat them this season fair and square.

“It makes it all the more sweeter when we p*** the opposition manger off doesn’t it?” said McCarthy. “There are some of them who think they’re a little bit above us, maybe better footballers who stroke it about a bit more, and it really irks them when the comprehensive lads come and rough a few schoolboys up. They don’t like it do they?

“It just gives me greater satisfaction when we beat them. Even more so when they whinge about it afterwards.”

He continued: “What do they think we’re going to do? Let’s just have a nice pretty game of football and see who wins it? It doesn’t work like that.

“I think there are a few clubs that look down their nose at us and think they’re better than us. It’s derogatory sometimes the way they react.

“It surprises me. Solid Championship teams are not to be sneered at. Burnley were one of those and they got promoted. They had a couple of top strikers, but, let me tell you, everything behind that was really disciplined and organised.

Can anyone imagine what he would have thought of P***t?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
“When was it easy coming to Brighton? I know they’ve not had the best record lately, but we always put their team up on a sheet of paper and I can’t think for one minute that any of us looked at it and thought it was going to be easy with the team that was playing.”
I watched his interview, and that bit surprised me. We've had a crappy start to the season, but he's aware we were in the playoffs for the last two seasons right? 'Lately' really was just a few months.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Liked it when Ipswich were losing just before half time and the ball went towards him for our throw in and he back heeled it down the tunnel time wasting

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here