Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Those little political signs in people's gardens

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I reckon they do have some purpose... potentially encourage others to get to the polling booth and can help to swing those who don't want to 'waste' a vote. Say you're in a traditional Tory area but loads of Lib Dem banners start appearing. If you previously thought the Lib Dems had no chance, you might just start to think they're worth a pop and could actually win the seat and so you vote for them instead of, say, Labour. That's what I've always assumed the reasoning is.

Not that I'd personally want to display one for any of the f******* that masquerade as public servants these days.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Someone down our road has a Labour sign like it's a For Sale in their front garden. My 8 year old actually said "why is that there?". When we tried to explain he answered "but why would you vote for someone because of a sign". Out of the mouths of babes.........

Meanwhile, near his school, some bloke hasn't just got himself a massive Vote UKIP sign but he also has a trailer for the car which he takes everywhere, similarly UKIP branded. He's spray painted it (badly, very badly) 'honk if you agree'. The same guy hands out badly handwritten, grammatically incorrect, letters about the dust from Shoreham Harbour, almost as if he hadn't CHOSEN to live right by it.

Jan 30, 2008
what's the deal with those little (and sometimes huge) "vote ##" signs in people's gardens, and in field margins across sussex? Firstly, are they really worth the cost and effort? Does anyone suddenly change their mind as a result of seeing them? For me personally if anything they’re more likely to stop me voting for the given parties. Driving home down the c7 from lewes to newhaven and the beautiful spring countryside is littered with them. There’s even one field with alternate lib dem and tory signs every 10 yards.

Where there are particularly large ones, like the massive vote ukip posters you see going east through peacehaven and as you leave lewes on the a26 towards uckfield, they're almost offensive.

Secondly, it surprises me that so many people are that firmly behind one party, and the very notion of party politics, that they want to sing and shout about who they are voting for.

Thirdly, i was working up in london today and notice that there are none of these up there. I drove through sutton, mitcham, tooting, wandsworth, etc. And didn’t see one. Do you have a lot of them where you live?

Thoughts?

I should add that this is not a dig at anyone who has them, am just curious.

tory one on the Lewes road in Ringmer reads" funding the elite":clap:
regards
DR

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
The Large Labour sign as you go up the hill past Saltdean Lido is a perfect site to be seen by the passing traffic? I can't believe the residents of the property haven't been rewarded financially.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
In the safe Tory seat where I live there are very few political posters. Yes, there are the famers' posters, but in individual houses very few. On houses in my constituency I've seen two Liberal ones, 1 UKIP and nothing for anyone else.

But go to Lewes or Eastbourne constituencies and things are very different.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
There doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there were in 2010. I saw my one and only Tory poster being put up about an hour after parliament was officially disolved, quite a few Labour and Plaid, one or two each for the Liberals and greens, With a day to go, thankfully no UKIP.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
There doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there were in 2010. I saw my one and only Tory poster being put up about an hour after parliament was officially disolved, quite a few Labour and Plaid, one or two each for the Liberals and greens, With a day to go, thankfully no UKIP.
The UKIP posters on the way into Billingshurst have had swastikas painted over them, which is somewhat overdoing it IMO. But I know some people do get wound up by political views they disagree with.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not sure I can remember ever seeing a huge Labour one in a farmers filed. They nearly always seem to be Tory.

Jan 30, 2008
there doesn't seem to be nearly as many as there were in 2010. I saw my one and only tory poster being put up about an hour after parliament was officially disolved, quite a few labour and plaid, one or two each for the liberals and greens, with a day to go, thankfully no ukip.
you must be walking around with your eyes closed then :rolleyes:
regards
DR

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
The UKIP posters on the way into Billingshurst have had swastikas painted over them, which is somewhat overdoing it IMO. But I know some people do get wound up by political views they disagree with.

How do you know it was someone who disagreed with them? May have been a supporter.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Large Labour sign as you go up the hill past Saltdean Lido is a perfect site to be seen by the passing traffic? I can't believe the residents of the property haven't been rewarded financially.

Eh? I only recall the 478 tory posters and I drive that way four times a day!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
There's been a Green infestation here in BN2, bloody millions of them (well, ok, thats a slight exaggeration but there are shedloads).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Most election leaflets are delivered by hand.

In Brighton most of them seem to be from the "protect our environment" Green Party. I reckon I've had at least TEN leaflets through my door from them, all saying pretty much the same thing.

I can't decide whether to vote for Green, Labour, Conservative or Papa John's.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I like them. They're a simple effective way of ordinary people engaging with the political process. Plus they give an instant snapshot of now nice or nasty your neighbours are.
And how stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here