Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Thomas Kemp Tower RSCH

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Hello, I am just seeking some information ahead of my stay at the RSCH for surgery to repair a wretched Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm.
I will be in the Thomas Kemp Tower vascular ward and have got to be there by 7am. Can taxis take you directly to the TKT rather than just leave you at the hospital main entrance, as it is a real route march from there to the TKT? I shall be coming from Hythe Rd. and to me, it looks like turn left off Eastern Rd into Bristol Gate and then left again into North Rd and that should land you between the TKT and the Millennium Building. Is that doable?
Any useful info would be gratefully received.
Many thanks

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I can confirm that taxis whilst can’t really stop they do drop people at the Millennium wing on the car park road at the back any many people including staff have been known to hop out and head left to the level entry easy acess TK tower 😉 level 6 iirc at that entrance, picking up though is a ball ache unless your kerbsideready to go just as the taxi pulls in, just a moments loitering attracts the attention of the high viz parking bods who love to show power and the driver will inevitably have to exit west and come in again as that road is one way

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I can confirm that taxis whilst can’t really stop they do drop people at the Millennium wing on the car park road at the back any many people including staff have been known to hop out and head left to the level entry easy acess TK tower 😉 level 6 iirc at that entrance, picking up though is a ball ache unless your kerbsideready to go just as the taxi pulls in, just a moments loitering attracts the attention of the high viz parking bods who love to show power and the driver will inevitably have to exit west and come in again as that road is one way
Can't they just drop you by the A&E entrance? I would have thought so as many people catch a cab rather than call for an ambulance.
Also taxis may prefer to drop there rather than crawl along the car park back road which can be extremely slow.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can't they just drop you by the A&E entrance? I would have thought so as many people catch a cab rather than call for an ambulance.
Also taxis may prefer to drop there rather than crawl along the car park back road which can be extremely slow.
Taxi’s definitely prefer pick up drop off at A & E I’m not sure if the hospital welcome people through A & E who wish to transit to TKT, I know it can be done, you’re quite right about slow traffic but at that time it’s fairly easy, around visiting hours is when the fun starts

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Simply ask the taxi driver to drop you off on the North Access Road, by the zebra crossing that sits between TKT and the Millenium building. This is at L6. It is a short walk to the lifts in the tower from there, all on level ground. Make sure that you take the lifts on the left of the corridor once you enter TKT - the ones on the right are for bedded patients.

Do not try to enter via A&E on L5 - it is a long walk to the lifts, and you are requested not to enter the hospital via A& on L5 for all sorts of good reasons (unless you are planning to go to A&E, of course).

Just re-confirming what some have said above, and trying to dissuade you from trying to enter from A&E at L5.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well for you - the staff in that department are particularly good.

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Simply ask the taxi driver to drop you off on the North Access Road, by the zebra crossing that sits between TKT and the Millenium building. This is at L6. It is a short walk to the lifts in the tower from there, all on level ground. Make sure that you take the lifts on the left of the corridor once you enter TKT - the ones on the right are for bedded patients.

Do not try to enter via A&E on L5 - it is a long walk to the lifts, and you are requested not to enter the hospital via A& on L5 for all sorts of good reasons (unless you are planning to go to A&E, of course).

Just re-confirming what some have said above, and trying to dissuade you from trying to enter from A&E at L5.

Good luck, and I hope all goes well for you - the staff in that department are particularly good.
Having been very recently for the birth of my child, can confirm all the above is spot on! (Especially the bit about accessing via A&E, which was an error of ours..)

Drop off at the zebra crossing to the right of TKT is the way to go.

All the best with the op.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009

Many thanks for the tips.
Ask a silly question, but is the entrance to TKT always open? I am getting there shortly after 6am.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Finally had my op for repair to my Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm on Tuesday. I was lucky to sneak in between various strikes. All went according to plan and I have a follow up appointment in about 6 weeks. Now back home feeling a great deal of relief.
What an extraordinary place the RSCH is. An absolute maze. Even a young doctor we asked for directions got it wrong!
Anyway, pleased to be home and looking forward to rejoining the human race!
PS Didn’t have any trouble with taxis, the drivers were excellent and most helpful despite a degree of harassment from the ‘parking geezers’ on site when leaving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here