Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This whole anniversary of Lennon's murder

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
zefarelly said:
what utter tosh

as an example Hendrix was a far superior....songwriter.

Do you really believe that? I think it's the most laughably wrong thing I think I've ever read on here.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I never said he was a brilliant musician, just that his intelligance and charisma was exceptional for the music industry.

Clearly, his songwriting still stands up today because the Beatles and his solo stuff still sells.

As for saying Wings was better than Lennon's solo stuff, well, it's like the song "Imagine" was never written.

Martin Luther King didn't prevent the LA riots, John F. Kennedy didn't prevent the Cold War from continuing, doesn't mean they weren't great men.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
zefarelly said:

as an example Hendrix was a far superior musician and songwriter.

:lolol: "Oh dear" is all that can really be said about that statement. Hendrix was (clearly) a far superior guitarist to Lennon, but he was an appalling songwriter - something he masked quite well with his virtuoso guitar playing. If Hendrix wasn't able to play guitar like he did, his songs would have been derided as being musically and lyrically banal.

Wings produced far better music in the 70's than Lennon did as well, most of his solo output was very mediocre

The only circumstance in which it is acceptable to listen to Wings is if you've been lobotomised.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
zefarelly said:
I think its all a load of overblown bollocks

there are hundreds of equally influential musicians and artistes who don't get the ridiculous amount of shameless publicity or for that matter even the respect they deserve.

I'm convinced that if John Lennon was still alive he'd be considered an ecccentric odd ball by now anyway.

Agreed. Its just the babyboomer generation pining for a lost Icon, they'll be gone soon.:clap2:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
looney said:
Agreed. Its just the babyboomer generation pining for a lost Icon, they'll be gone soon.:clap2:

Try telling that to Noel or Liam Gallagher...

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Pavilionaire said:
Try telling that to Noel or Liam Gallagher...

No the 60's generation are those that hit their teens in the 60's. ages 58 to 48, they run the media etc and are likley to fall for a beatles tribute band like Oasis.
Do you think Oasis would have been as big in the UK in any other decade?

Btw Am I the only one who thinks Noel looks like Parker from thunderbirds?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Grendel said:
The only circumstance in which it is acceptable to listen to Wings is if you've been lobotomised.
Wise words.

As Alan Partridge said, "Wings. Who are 'Wings'? Only the band the Beatles could have been!"

:D

Oh and I agree with looney. Talented and missed as John Lennon was/is, there is no doubt in my mind that his influence in music would have wained if he had still been alive today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Looney - Oasis, like many artists, are clearly insired by Lennon the man, the songwriter and the performer. Do you really, honestly think that his inspiration will end in a few years?

I expect the chattering classes of Charles I era were writing off Shakespeare as yesterday's man in the same way you write off Lennon now.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Oasis are imitators who didn't make it outside the UK. Thats not what I would call inspired, and no I dont think Lennon will be as well remembered.

Buddy holly for kicking of Rock and roll plus a few others, but the memory will be of the Beatles and not specifically Lennon.

He was a political totem of a specific Generation and that generation is getting crusty.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Well I disagree with you Looney.

The Beatles will always be at the top of the tree musically because they took pop music on to the next level - they were the first truly global pop music band and will always be synonymous with the Swinging 60s. Lennon was the main man in the Beatles.

Westlife and Robbie Williams can have all the Number 1 hit singles they want, but it was the Beatles that started it.

E

enigma

Lennon aint a patch on Dizzie Rascal............. :jester:

Only kidding, but people should accept that a lot of MC's are talented songwriters.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's fascinating to see the contrast between the dewy-eyed patriotic fervour that some people on here work themselves up into about something daft like Trafalgar Day not being celebrated enough, and this "ah, he wasn't all that anyway" crap on the anniversary of Lennon's murder.

Here's someone who is arguably one of the greatest and most-loved British people that this country has ever produced. Even if you personally don't like him or the Beatles, who has EVER been a more popular Englishman, on a global basis? Churchill? Probably. But who else? Lennon's at least as well known as any of them. And, IMHO, most of his contributions and messages have been unremittingly positive. I don't generally "do" patriotism but I'd say there's something to feel truly patriotic about.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
Pavilionaire said:
Having watched the documentary last night the overbiding feeling I have is what a little turd Mark Chapman is. A sad little man with no life who lived in a fantasy world.

He professed to want to kill Lennon but didn't have the balls to take his first opportunity when Lennon signed an autograph for him. Later he shot him in the back at night. What a kunt.

I disagree with people who marginalise Lennon's contribution to music. I think if he were still alive he would be THE biggest voice in the music industry.

I agree, i watched the documentary last night and i have to admit he was a sick bastard.

Worthing Keith

Jul 9, 2003
Sad though it was to have your life ended in that way, I'm with Eastlondonseagull on this one.

Beleive me, I tried my hardest to avoid any news on the event but is was almost impossible.

What really annoys me though, amongst all the "pain & grief" shown from the media, is that they forget to mention that he contributed the royalties from one of his songs to the IRA.

Nice bloke, eh?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Pavilionaire said:
The Beatles will always be at the top of the tree musically because they took pop music on to the next level - they were the first truly global pop music band and will always be synonymous with the Swinging 60s. Lennon was the main man in the Beatles.

Musically no they are not - as a band who made a massive impact on this world with their songs which were welcomed in a period of time where it was very much needed then yes.....

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
tedebear said:
Musically no they are not - as a band who made a massive impact on this world with their songs which were welcomed in a period of time where it was very much needed then yes.....

Who on earth were a better band? I love listening to the Stones, the Who, the Kinks, Hendrix, Led Zep, all/any of them. But none of them get anywhere near close to the level of musical innovation that the Beatles brought about in only seven years. And the point is that those bands would probably say the same thing.

Philip Larkin - arguably the grumpiest, grouchiest old sod that ever lived - said they were so untouchably good that criticism of them was to be expected because they were so much the best, there was nothing else to say about them other than picking holes.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here