Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This week's 1901 meal

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
There are plenty of intelligent, fair people amongst the 1901 membership. It astounds me that the Club or PB don't try and harness this. Whilst a great deal of goodwill will has been lost, I have no doubt most Members want to support the club and make the 1901 'expereience' work for all parties. Why on earth doesn't PB set up some form of focus group or genuine consultation exercise?

Whe I asked that the answer I got, was, and I quote from the email:

"I am sure you can appreciate we cannot operate the 1901 Club by committee" and furthemore "with 400 members there are always perhaps 15/20 differing views in how the lounge and 1901 Club should operate. "

So in answer to your question, they don't want to.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
For the (it's not a ) buffet the problem is not price. It is quality. I wont have it even when they give it away so I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

For the other meals it's price (and as I don't know anyone mug enough to pay for them I can't comment on quality).

They've had so many warnings that this was happening that it is ludicrous to feign innocence.

If the quality was there I'd buy it. I accept it will be more than a pub or restaurant. So (for example) if it was a good quality meal I could get in a pub for £15, I'd happily pay £25. Restaurant £35 meal I'd pay £50 without complaint. IF THE QUALITY WAS THERE but it's not.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
This is the problem, we have been going to the Swan from day one but it is getting busier, alot of people have been away for the last couple of games so it will be interesting how busy it is over the coming weeks. If too many people go there it will be a victim of its own success and we will probably end up drinking in Lewes or Brighton instead if the queues get too bad.

Was about to post something similar myself. In the first season at the AMEX it was easy to get a seat and walk straight up to the BBQ. No it's rammed even by 1pm. Hope he gets permission to open the barn up and create more space or......the club could sort its catering and prices out so people go back there and I can carry on going to the Swan. Cheers

When I say gourmet food, I don't mean "The Ivy" gourmet, I mean "gourmet burger company" perhaps akin to Prezzo/Ask/Strada/Browns.

i.e. Not courdon bleu stuff (or indeed gourmet in the truest sense of the word), but indisputably a cut above lasagne 'n' chips.
... but you can get The Ivy hamburger, with dill pickle & club sauce, at The Ivy, for £14.75.

http://www.the-ivy.co.uk/menus/roasts-grills/

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, if I was paying 1901 prices and getting the sort of offerings on show in this thread I'b be bloody well moaning too.

What I glean from all this is that people WANT to spend their money at the stadium, they WANT to feel like they are contributing to the club but are not prepared to spend their money on sub standard fayre, and rightly bloody so.

Disagree. I think above all they WANT to be treated a bit special, a bit pampered, as they think befits the money they're shelling out. They're not getting that, so they're doing deals with nearby pubs that will give them a bit of the red carpet treatment in terms of goods and services for considerably less than they'd be paying at the Amex.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Disagree. I think above all they WANT to be treated a bit special, a bit pampered, as they think befits the money they're shelling out. They're not getting that, so they're doing deals with nearby pubs that will give them a bit of the red carpet treatment in terms of goods and services for considerably less than they'd be paying at the Amex.

I don't think you could be more wrong.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

I think there is a bit of both going on. It's clear just from reading this thread though that there is a touch of this attitude. One or two seem to be revelling in the fact they are getting a much better deal at places like the swan.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think you could be more wrong.

This. Way off the mark as far as we're concerned.

I actually think its price and quality. If you got fish and chips from a chip shop, it would be better quality and half the price. Of course there is mass production, keeping everything warm, but I simply cannot see why it is that challenging, when the 3 course meals at Sussex CCC are superb, similarly if you go to Golf Club events with a 100+ (admittedly smaller scale), the food is without exception, always better.

I have spoken to Paul Barber and cited the CCC example, but he does not believe the volume is comparable.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Barber is right. SCCC surely dont cater for more anything like the number of potential diners in 1901.

That's why the club contracts out to proper catererers. It's just that neither of two brought in have been much good at delivering decent food by the sounds of it.

What might be of use is to compare the levels of satisfaction at stadiums elsewhere for this sort of thing. Going corporate at Palace last year had issues - not least the fact that they finally serviced the food AFTER the match kicked off, FFS.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Whe I asked that the answer I got, was, and I quote from the email:

"I am sure you can appreciate we cannot operate the 1901 Club by committee" and furthemore "with 400 members there are always perhaps 15/20 differing views in how the lounge and 1901 Club should operate. "

So in answer to your question, they don't want to.

Looking at the threads on here about various focus groups that have been set up, inviting feedback, sacking Azure in the first place after feedback from members, 1000 word detailed emails from Paul Barber in response to queries, weekly columns in the programme, numerous radio appearances, evidence that the club/Paul and his team follows North Stand Chat closely, numerous letters to members, menu changes in the early weeks of this season, wholesale changes in the prices of food offered following feedback again then the idea that part of trying to get 1901 catering right isn't a "genuine consultation exercise" seems v.odd indeed.

Now obviously and going again on posts on here then some members feel badly let down and that feedback/ideas haven't been incorporated or that the food is still not good value. Fair enough but in terms of consultation and trying to seek input from 1901 members then this looks like one of the most open , transparent attempts to improve a service by a large commercial operation (and thats what it is) i've ever seen in practice.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Barber is right. SCCC surely dont cater for more anything like the number of potential diners in 1901.

That's why the club contracts out to proper catererers. It's just that neither of two brought in have been much good at delivering decent food by the sounds of it.

What might be of use is to compare the levels of satisfaction at stadiums elsewhere for this sort of thing. Going corporate at Palace last year had issues - not least the fact that they finally serviced the food AFTER the match kicked off, FFS.

I think the main comparisons in terms of volumes, are likely to be Goodwood and as you say, other football clubs

Goodwood always produce high quality meals, I have done some research since yesterday and the price is comparable to the amex but at a higher price. They also have the luxury of being able to serve during races

As for other clubs, arsenal had a poor first day but since then have been top notch. I've only ever buffeted at other clubs .

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
Wrong. Are you a 1901 member? The majority of us are long in the tooth loyal supporters and are happy continue to invest in the club. We would like to invest more so want the sales of food to go up but will not just buy anything. It's about quality.
I will continue to pop down to the concourse and get my burger if I don't fancy the pie selection. Once the buffet looks edible I will choose that. I still have nightmares about school dinners so why would I make them a reality!!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think the main comparisons in terms of volumes, are likely to be Goodwood and as you say, other football clubs

Goodwood always produce high quality meals, I have done some research since yesterday and the price is comparable to the amex but at a higher price. They also have the luxury of being able to serve during races

As for other clubs, arsenal had a poor first day but since then have been top notch. I've only ever buffeted at other clubs .

Goodwood is a good call and the food is of a high quality.

Maybe, the club could consider having different timings for sittings, with the idea of finishing by 245pm.

16 bit 44.1

May 17, 2011
Hove
So we've established that 1901 has two "unofficial" levels of membership. Fans who just wanted a bit more and genuine corporates.

After complaints from some of it's members (myself included) after the first game, they have, over the next three games changed things pretty drastically. It is now possible to go fully corporate for £59 0r £79 or just have a burger or something along those lines starting from £10.20. Obviously pies and sweets etc. This has been tweaked several times over the first three games as a result of feedback given (again, myself included)

After my initial email, I received a phone call and email responses and this Saturday I will be giving the burger or the fish and chips a go. If there is a problem I will email the club but as far as pricing goes I don't have an issue with it.

Other improvements have been made too. It is now possible to pre order half time drinks. And there are loads more seats in our lounge.

So in summary, there were / are some problems, changes are being made in response to initially negative feedback and calling a chip "rustic" provokes weird reactions amongst some people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Disappointment if you were looking forward to your lasagne, chips and rice dish as the rice has now been removed from the menu.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here