Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This run is worse than any under Hyypia .......

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
However the picture is painted the board didn't sign any goal scorers apart from Baldock who needed time to adjust and then he was played on the wing??? A decent striker lifts any team and we signed 1 league goal and that was a penalty COG for half a million, I could of found us a better striker than him for the same money.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For three months under Hughton our results were those of a mid-table team - good going with the squad we've got, and too long a period to be discounted as the 'dead cat bounce' (although that could be the reason for NJ's success). Don't know what's gone wrong lately; hopefully CH will get it sorted in the summer.
There seems to be an ethos at the club, left over from the Gus and CH days, of patient possession football; unfortunately this has stagnated into an ethos of not doing anything with any sort of speed. Maybe two or three good signings will enable that to be turned round.

Your assessment is spot on here. Sami got it right when referring to our problems with 'transitions'. All that remains is this awful, slow-paced, sideways-and-backwards passing, opportunity-to-break-spurning dire spectacle. Which also supports [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION]'s post, and I think he's right to give CH until December to turn things round, sign some decent players, and improve the spectacle.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't know about you, but I'm much more confident of staying up now than I was in February!

I cannot understand your logic in Feb/March we still had games to play so it was more in our hands than it is now slightly as we have 2 difficult games to play. But all is not lost yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That is not exactly true as all 4, CMS, Baldock, COG & Best were all proven at their previous clubs so what has brought about the disastrous change?

* Best has turned into a professional loanee because he can't hold down a place at Blackburn. Once that happens, players rarely give a toss about their loan club.
* You are wrong about CMS - he hasn't proved himself at this level in four years. At Peterborough he scored goals for fun because he had pace against lesser defenders. His pace is nothing special any more, sadly, so we are left with a striker who misses often and can't control the ball.
* Baldock and COG - I agree with you here, poor management and bad luck with injury have done for them here. I do feel they will both get a chance to prove themselves next season, and both deserve that chance. Unlike CMS, they've had what amounts to only half a season each at this club. I fancy at least one of them to come good if played in a system that suits either of them.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I cannot understand your logic in Feb/March we still had games to play so it was more in our hands than it is now slightly as we have 2 difficult games to play. But all is not lost yet.

What are you on about? We are 6 points (and a huge GD) clear of 3rd bottom with them only having 3 to play, and us having 2 to play. It is definitely in our hands and far safer than Feb, when for much of the month we were 1-3 points clear of 3rd bottom, and with far more games remaining for them to pull it back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You know it means attacking. Not everyone proof reads posts through Microsoft world to check grammar, eager eyed cool kids do that for you :mad:

Just liked the word attactive.

Easy tiger x

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What are you on about? We are 6 points (and a huge GD) clear of 3rd bottom with them only having 3 to play, and us having 2 to play. It is definitely in our hands and far safer than Feb, when for much of the month we were 1-3 points clear of 3rd bottom, and with far more games remaining for them to pull it back.

How is that so?

If, as the majority on here assume, we get no more points with 2 defeats our 6 points .and GD is easily overturned with dour 1-0 wins in all the other games. In Feb we had about 45 points to play for and with a new manager in place expected to pick up in excess of 30 so how are we better off now. Others clubs had the opportunities also but we are the team that has bombed like a lead balloon.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
* Best has turned into a professional loanee because he can't hold down a place at Blackburn. Once that happens, players rarely give a toss about their loan club.
* You are wrong about CMS - he hasn't proved himself at this level in four years. At Peterborough he scored goals for fun because he had pace against lesser defenders. His pace is nothing special any more, sadly, so we are left with a striker who misses often and can't control the ball.
* Baldock and COG - I agree with you here, poor management and bad luck with injury have done for them here. I do feel they will both get a chance to prove themselves next season, and both deserve that chance. Unlike CMS, they've had what amounts to only half a season each at this club. I fancy at least one of them to come good if played in a system that suits either of them.

Agree with top 2 points but Baldock and COG i disagree with, i would be delighted if we could unload all 4 in the summer - dont think COG will score goals and is a lower level championship/L1 striker at best, Baldock was shicking when played upfront earlier in the season. We desperately need 2 new strikers and unload those 4 muppets

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
How is that so?

If, as the majority on here assume, we get no more points with 2 defeats our 6 points .and GD is easily overturned with dour 1-0 wins in all the other games. In Feb we had about 45 points to play for and with a new manager in place expected to pick up in excess of 30 so how are we better off now. Others clubs had the opportunities also but we are the team that has bombed like a lead balloon.

The term "it's in our hands" means we can determine the outcome. It's only not in our hands when, regardless of our results we could still be overhauled. So, it is in our hands however improbable a notion you think that is

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The term "it's in our hands" means we can determine the outcome. It's only not in our hands when, regardless of our results we could still be overhauled. So, it is in our hands however improbable a notion you think that is

Well, it is in our own hands to the extent that we've got two matches to play against two of the top four teams in this league who are going hell for leather for automatic promotion. It is also possible (if unlikely) that Millwall pick up seven points (six won't do it fopr them, because they won't realistically make up the goal difference).
It was much more 'in our own hands' back in February, when we were actually winning matches - and even scoring goals; not in huge numbers, maybe, but winning often enough to have taken us up to lower mid-table and mathematically well clear of relegation by now if we'd maintained that form.
I certainly felt much more confident about staying up back then than I do now when we're in freefall.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I pity our season ticket holders, as they are the only people turning up to watch this shìt because they've already paid.

That said, Hughton is eroding any goodwill he previously built up with this turgid "10 behind the ball and nick one on the break" nonsense. I know it's pragmatic and only about staying up, I know it's not his fault because he inherited a squad that wasn't up to it. But people have PAID to watch this.

But he did NOT inherit a squad that had Leon Best in it. Hasn't exactly covered himself in glory has he? And I think his treatment of the fans who traveled to Wigan was appalling.

Bad judgment. Bad attitude. Get rid

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
How is that so?

Millwall have a GD of -30; ours is -8. That's a 22 relative goal difference that they'd have to overturn in 2 games. Even if Midds and Watford each beat us 5-0, Millwall would have to win by 6-0 and 7-0. As such, even if Millwall had a remarkable 3 wins (against decent sides), we're still safe if we win 1 of our remaining 2 games; hence, safety is in our hands.
Lastly, we have not bombed like a lead balloon: we've barely been out of the bottom 6 since Autumn; this is where we are now.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well, it is in our own hands to the extent that we've got two matches to play against two of the top four teams in this league who are going hell for leather for automatic promotion. It is also possible (if unlikely) that Millwall pick up seven points (six won't do it fopr them, because they won't realistically make up the goal difference).
It was much more 'in our own hands' back in February, when we were actually winning matches - and even scoring goals; not in huge numbers, maybe, but winning often enough to have taken us up to lower mid-table and mathematically well clear of relegation by now if we'd maintained that form.
I certainly felt much more confident about staying up back then than I do now when we're in freefall.

Don't disagree at all .. was simply trying to make the point to BG that our destiny is down to us, and will be to the end.

The fact that we've made a royal f**k up of it is indisputable to all but an extreme few I'd think

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
For three months under Hughton our results were those of a mid-table team - good going with the squad we've got, and too long a period to be discounted as the 'dead cat bounce' (although that could be the reason for NJ's success). Don't know what's gone wrong lately; hopefully CH will get it sorted in the summer.
There seems to be an ethos at the club, left over from the Gus and CH days, of patient possession football; unfortunately this has stagnated into an ethos of not doing anything with any sort of speed. Maybe two or three good signings will enable that to be turned round.

It all seemed to start to go wrong when he brought in his assistant - and lots of people warned us he would bring nothing to the party. The downturn also coincided with Baldocks injury I think.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
How many points did Nathan Jones get when he was in charge, just can't remember whether he had two, three or four games, but I do remember us winning under him. The fact is that if we scrape survival this year it will be down to the points we got under him and not under the present manager. Its not a bitch at Hughton its just how I see it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Millwall have a GD of -30; ours is -8. That's a 22 relative goal difference that they'd have to overturn in 2 games. Even if Midds and Watford each beat us 5-0, Millwall would have to win by 6-0 and 7-0. As such, even if Millwall had a remarkable 3 wins (against decent sides), we're still safe if we win 1 of our remaining 2 games; hence, safety is in our hands.
Lastly, we have not bombed like a lead balloon: we've barely been out of the bottom 6 since Autumn; this is a where we are now QUOTE

If Millwall win tomorrow our superior GD will mean diddly squat. as 2 more wins for them will keep them up. We need a minimum of 1 point realistically to have any chance of staying up possibly even a win will be needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here