Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] This is going to hurt….

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone else watching this excellent series? Based on the memoirs of Junior Doctor and comedian, Adam Kay. Played by Ben Wishaw. Funny, upsetting, poignant, shocking and an insight into the workload and obstacles faced by frontline NHS workers.

My tip; do not watch with your dinner.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Saw it last night for the first time. I thought it was done really well and will be watching the second episode soon.

I haven't read the book and don't know anything about Adam Kay, but given the subject matter I guess this is a show that could easily be made very badly (by which I mean it could use lots of medical drama cliches, or get too mawkish, or handle the subject matter insensitively).

From what I saw last night, the script was well crafted, the acting was good, the characters were believable and the storyline carried the viewer along very easily.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Saw it last night for the first time. I thought it was done really well and will be watching the second episode soon.

I haven't read the book and don't know anything about Adam Kay, but given the subject matter I guess this is a show that could easily be made very badly (by which I mean it could use lots of medical drama cliches, or get too mawkish, or handle the subject matter insensitively).

From what I saw last night, the script was well crafted, the acting was good, the characters were believable and the storyline carried the viewer along very easily.

A good summary. It only gets better and at 8 episodes, it doesn’t outstay it’s welcome. Great drama.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I saw the trailer and thought it looked awful, but my wife told me she's heard it's really good (and now I've seen the above, too) so we'll give it a try soon.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Read the book and have seen the first episode, its very good. You really feel for the NHS.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Not watched it yet, but the book is excellent. Disgusting, moving and infuriating but mostly very, very funny

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

The book was a phenomenal success, selling millions of copies.

Kay hasn't just handed it over, as he's written this too, as well as being very hands on (or should that be hands in) throughout the process.

Then of course there's Ben Wishall.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
On the to watch list and purchased the book the other day for 50p so on the to read list as well.................

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
When Ben Wishaw talks does he still sound like Paddington?

Ha!
He’s not as annoyingly whimsical and socially crippled as he usually is. Puts in a very watchable turn.
Will there be marmalade?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The scene where he gets shown around the private maternity clinic is astonishing. The difference between the luxury facilities and the NHS is genuinely breathtaking.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Anyone else watching this excellent series? Based on the memoirs of Junior Doctor and comedian, Adam Kay. Played by Ben Wishaw. Funny, upsetting, poignant, shocking and an insight into the workload and obstacles faced by frontline NHS workers.

Thanks for the tip. This has completely slipped under my radar so I shall give it a go.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t mind admitting, one of the episode has just had me in floods. Jesus.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah I watched the first episode, it was very good. (Haven't read the book). Dunno why, I was expecting a comedy given the title and also as he was/is the man behind the musical act 'Amateur Transplants'. Some may remember their version of The Jam's 'Going Underground' called 'London Underground'.

peterward

NSC Patreon
Nov 11, 2009

Thought you were about to share a moment when a Dr slipped on the white glove.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here