Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] This is going to hurt….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
When Ben Wishaw talks does he still sound like Paddington?

And look like Rory Stewart

stewart.JPG
wishaw.JPG

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I remember reading the book on holiday some time back and loved it, although mentioning it to a couple of consultants I knew they weren't quite as enthusiastic about it as I was :wink:

Watched 1st episode last night and very much like I remembered the book :thumbsup:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Yeah I watched the first episode, it was very good. (Haven't read the book). Dunno why, I was expecting a comedy given the title and also as he was/is the man behind the musical act 'Amateur Transplants'. Some may remember their version of The Jam's 'Going Underground' called 'London Underground'.

The trailer makes it look like a midweek BBC1 sitcom, i.e. dreadful.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Normally I hate medical dramas but I watched Episode 1 last night and have been drawn in, mainly because of the exceptional performance of Ben Wishaw. I genuinely think he is one of the UK's leading 10 actors right now.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Anyone else watching this excellent series? Based on the memoirs of Junior Doctor and comedian, Adam Kay. Played by Ben Wishaw. Funny, upsetting, poignant, shocking and an insight into the workload and obstacles faced by frontline NHS workers.

My tip; do not watch with your dinner.

If you liked this I can highly recommend "Bodies" on BBCIplayer. Written by Jed Mercurio (Line of Duty). Also set on a gynae ward dealing with similar themes. More of a drama but with a darkly comic undertone. Brilliant series starring Max Beesley and Keith Allen.

Here's the link and a review...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00nx8yp/bodies

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ercurio-masterpiece-medical-drama-bbc-iplayer

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just started watching it, very good however downloaded from iPlayer and very obscure program lengths so was it on US TV originally?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you liked this I can highly recommend "Bodies" on BBCIplayer. Written by Jed Mercurio (Line of Duty). Also set on a gynae ward dealing with similar themes. More of a drama but with a darkly comic undertone. Brilliant series starring Max Beesley and Keith Allen.

Here's the link and a review...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b00nx8yp/bodies

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ercurio-masterpiece-medical-drama-bbc-iplayer

That is bloody fantastic.

Seemed like it was overlooked at the time a bit but I watched it after the first Line of Duty when everyone got excited about Mercurio. Keith Allen is brilliant - loved the swimming pool shaped like a vag.

Would also recommend Cardiac Arrest which was Mercurio’s first tv drama, also about junior doctors. Starred a very young and attractive Helen Baxendale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
That is bloody fantastic.

Seemed like it was overlooked at the time a bit but I watched it after the first Line of Duty when everyone got excited about Mercurio. Keith Allen is brilliant - loved the swimming pool shaped like a vag.

Would also recommend Cardiac Arrest which was Mercurio’s first tv drama, also about junior doctors. Starred a very young and attractive Helen Baxendale.

We tried Cardiac Arrest immediately after finishing Bodies but couldn't get into it. Maybe we didn't give it enough chance but the young actors, many of whom I recognised as their older selves seemed to have just come out of drama school and weren't very naturalistic.

Also the production values seemed quite low. I don't think it helped that we were watching it on youtube and it looked like someone had recorded the episodes off the telly.

Here's the link for anyone interested...

https://youtu.be/EmJ5INj5EAw

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Just started watching it, very good however downloaded from iPlayer and very obscure program lengths so was it on US TV originally?

No, only BBC.

Wiki:

The first series started on BBC Three, as the channel was trying to break into hour-long dramas. BBC Two aired the series at the end of 2004. The channels co-commissioned a second series and increased the number of episodes to ten. The second series started in September 2005. The BBC did not order a third series, so a feature-length final episode was subsequently broadcast to conclude the programme in December 2006. The entire first and second series were also broadcast to American audiences on digital channel BBC America during 2005.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The scene where he gets shown around the private maternity clinic is astonishing. The difference between the luxury facilities and the NHS is genuinely breathtaking.

Those private luxury facilities didn’t have the medical equipment or staff required to do the job. The NHS had what was required. Entirely factual. Private hospitals are glorified hotels for all but the simplest of procedures.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No, only BBC.

Wiki:

The first series started on BBC Three, as the channel was trying to break into hour-long dramas. BBC Two aired the series at the end of 2004. The channels co-commissioned a second series and increased the number of episodes to ten. The second series started in September 2005. The BBC did not order a third series, so a feature-length final episode was subsequently broadcast to conclude the programme in December 2006. The entire first and second series were also broadcast to American audiences on digital channel BBC America during 2005.

Hang on. This is confusing. It was cast in 2020 and aired on tv in 2022. What’s this about 2005 ?

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/feb/22/ambika-mod-this-is-going-to-hurt-shruti-adam-kay-bbc

There’s also only one series of seven episodes.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Just finished watching this. Quite a roller coaster on the emotions, excellently acted and cast. I usually hate hospital dramas but this operates on so many different levels, outstanding TV.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Yeah, there's only one series and it's brand new. God knows what Albion My Albion is reading, but it's badly misinformed

Hang on. This is confusing. It was cast in 2020 and aired on tv in 2022. What’s this about 2005 ?

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/feb/22/ambika-mod-this-is-going-to-hurt-shruti-adam-kay-bbc

There’s also only one series of seven episodes.

No, only BBC.

Wiki:

I think he is referring to "Bodies" or "Cardiac Arrest" rather than "This is going to hurt"

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I read the book and thought it was excellent. When I saw that it was going to be made into a TV series I wondered whether and how it would translate - and was sceptical that they could do it. They absolutely have though and done a brilliant job with it - its superb.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here