Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

This Is England 90...

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Felt like it was almost being improvised at times.

Still, I'm sure it will pick up, I have every faith in Meadows (and Graham, who I think is one of our most underrated actors).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nope not just you. Very much enjoyed the first two but that was pony. Where ever the two divs in the shades have come from they should bugger off back there sharpish. The snooker table scene was ****ing odd and Woody's parents....WTF were they all about?

Even thought the music was a bit boring a predictable.

Will stick with it though on the back of the first two.

I thought the two in the shades ( Flip and Higgy ) were really funny when they showed up at the flat, cringe yes and full on tw@ts yes.
Snooker table scene was a bit odd though, I think we all got the joke straight away, but the scene went on too long.

What sort of music was you expecting ? I thought the music played at the Manchester night rave was spot on.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I can't believe that there were only about 12 people at a 'Manchester bands' night, and half of them were Goths.

I can't believe that the floral bucket hat worn by one of the cast was from Asda's 2015 George summer range. Channel 4 props dept hang your heads in shame (meadows).

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
M
Was this really a fashion trend in the early nineties in England? I mean adopting Americanisms, their music and films - sure, but out and out imitation? Don't remember anything like that.

Top gun was in 86 so if people were comparing the 2 characters to Goose & Maverick they're about 4 years out
And no, no one dressed like that in 1990
Also I don't recall anyone of their age(early 20's) going to a community centre or town hall with no alcohol dancing to Stone Roses or happy Monday's
If you were in your 20's you'd be getting pissed up in a nightclub and not fighting with Goths at the local community centre
Sorry if people thought it was great, just thought it was so far away from being realistic for that time, I wear Fred Perry to death now but after about 86 can't recall anyone really wearing it, especially in 1990

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Was this really a fashion trend in the early nineties in England? I mean adopting Americanisms, their music and films - sure, but out and out imitation? Don't remember anything like that.

No it wasn't the fashion, but im sure there were the odd few people that dressed slightly differently in the Midlands. :)
M

Top gun was in 86 so if people were comparing the 2 characters to Goose & Maverick they're about 4 years out
And no, no one dressed like that in 1990
Also I don't recall anyone of their age(early 20's) going to a community centre or town hall with no alcohol dancing to Stone Roses or happy Monday's
If you were in your 20's you'd be getting pissed up in a nightclub and not fighting with Goths at the local community centre
Sorry if people thought it was great, just thought it was so far away from being realistic for that time, I wear Fred Perry to death now but after about 86 can't recall anyone really wearing it, especially in 1990

Does it matter what they were wearing, they wouldn't have come across so funny if they hadn't have been dressed like that. :)

There was alcohol at the community centre, people were drinking bottles of lager, after the fight with the goths there were empties all around the room.

Lol was still dressed like a skinhead so hence the Fred Perry. As you know they were all skins in the film.
Some people back then liked the retro skinhead and mod look.

Remember this wasn't set in Brighton or London, maybe people did dress different in some Midlands town.
This is Enland 86 Flip and Higgy are wearing Ellesse and Sergio Taccini gear, a few years too late.

Kosmonaut

Proud Hoveonian
Feb 10, 2013
Hove

To be fair don't they live in the middle of ****-off nowhere? There might not be any proper clubs nearby to them. I've been to discos in shitty community centre's before, though that was connected to someones birthday normally.

I wear Fred Perry to death now but after about 86 can't recall anyone really wearing it, especially in 1990

I think the main characters were all super hardcore skinheads remember, some of them (only Lol and her friend so far?) won't necessarily immediately jump into the latest fashion trend.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The Bross boys weren't they the Fissie boys on mopeds last time ?

Sorry I didn't reply to your question, yes you are correct.
From This is England 86.

image.jpg

No sure how to do a YouTube link but the fight scene from 86 is funny.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This is brilliant and very out the box, looks like the thug is returning

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I re-watched 88 before starting 90 again. 88 is some of the best but also darkest and atmospheric TV I have ever seen. Was really disappointed with episode 1 of 90, seemed to be going for cheap laughs instead of continuing with the fantastic drama of 88.

Will watch episode 2 tonight and report back :)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What was the spoken word track that played over Kelly being taken advantage of?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here